Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I can only go with my own personal reaction to the new pricing. I bought a lot fewer best sellers this year than I did last year. I've also bought more used physical books this year than I did last year. I have also tried a lot more self-published authors this year than I did last year. Of course changes to my buying patterns are all just anecdotal evidence, but if I am not the only one who has changed his purchasing habits then the publishers truly are shooting themselves in the foot.
And thinking about it I would have to say I have been doing much the same! Small DRM free publishing houses are getting my business and I am actually buying more non-fiction P-books when I see a good price (a sale etc). The only reason I haven't bought a lot more second-hand books is because I am running out of library space!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
The only reason I haven't bought a lot more second-hand books is because I am running out of library space!
There's the added value publishers are talking about.

Since eBooks don't take any space, they're worth paying more for.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Askew View Post
Surely there has to be a price for content, well, quality content at least, otherwise how wld the creators of said content pay for their espressos? Your artist has to live. That said, I am glad that prices have tumbled because the large publishing houses have had their day.
The problem with all of these claims of publishers getting it wrong is that publishers are doing very well by e-books. Big publishers' sales *tripled* in the year after agency pricing was put into effect, and e-books are accounting for an important part of their profits (they are still only 10% or so of the US market, but that's a decent chunk).

So far there is no evidence that cheaper indie books are hurting publishers at all.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #34
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I do have to say that the lack of ebook sales really does kill off impulse sales. I don't know how many games I've bought off steam lately, because of a sale. Most of them I've not played (I don't use Windows, and not everything likes Wine), but were an impulse buy. "zOMG! IT IS 50% off!". I mean, I can't remember the last ebook I've bought. Almost everything has been from the library, or freebies.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #35
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
There's the added value publishers are talking about.

Since eBooks don't take any space, they're worth paying more for.
Buying used books for half list price (or less) and then selling them when you're done reading them doesn't take any space either, and it's much cheaper than ebooks. It is my hope that the publishers will eventually decide that there should be a ebook price-point that corresponds to the used paper book market, but I don't expect that to happen until most of the likely buyers of eReaders have done so and are done buying their "must-haves".
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #36
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
The problem with all of these claims of publishers getting it wrong is that publishers are doing very well by e-books. Big publishers' sales *tripled* in the year after agency pricing was put into effect, and e-books are accounting for an important part of their profits (they are still only 10% or so of the US market, but that's a decent chunk).

So far there is no evidence that cheaper indie books are hurting publishers at all.
I think that the reason for this is because there are millions of new eReader owners with very few ebooks and they are buying their must-read authors and their favorite books for their new eReaders. I think that in a year or two, after most people who want an eReader have already bought one, and have purchased their base set of ebooks, big publishers will find that customers will resist buying high priced ebooks. Just as in the print world, not everybody is willing to pay top dollar for a new release, and many readers will wait for price drops, buy fewer ebooks, and/or find new, cheaper authors.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #37
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The added value would be there if it was DRM free.
with NO geographic restrictions
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #38
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think that the reason for this is because there are millions of new eReader owners with very few ebooks and they are buying their must-read authors and their favorite books for their new eReaders. I think that in a year or two, after most people who want an eReader have already bought one, and have purchased their base set of ebooks, big publishers will find that customers will resist buying high priced ebooks. Just as in the print world, not everybody is willing to pay top dollar for a new release, and many readers will wait for price drops, buy fewer ebooks, and/or find new, cheaper authors.
Exactly
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #39
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The added value would be there if it was DRM free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And well edited.
And if you could give it away or sell it when you were done.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
And if you could give it away or sell it when you were done.
In that case an ebook would be worth a LOT more than a pbook, since it would be vastly superior in every way. I don't think we should ask for that, it could well mean ebook prices would have to be double what pbooks go for. They never get damaged and could be passed along endlessly (even if just a single copy remained in existence that could be a lot more readers per copy than with a pbook).
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #41
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Of course, the retailers aren't happy if you buy a $0.99 ebook instead of the $9.99 one.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #42
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Buying used books for half list price (or less) and then selling them when you're done reading them doesn't take any space either, and it's much cheaper than ebooks. It is my hope that the publishers will eventually decide that there should be a ebook price-point that corresponds to the used paper book market, but I don't expect that to happen until most of the likely buyers of eReaders have done so and are done buying their "must-haves".
Some of use want to keep books, not just read them and then get rid of them.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #43
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
From the point of view of an economist, there is simply zero evidence that agency pricing is hurting Ebook sales, which have tripled since the introduction of agency pricing.
There are many examples of producers of content setting prices. In some countries it's not only legal, it's required.
Allegations that publishers colluded to fix prices are just that- allegations. Allegations aren't evidence. The Justice Department is doing its job in carrying out an investigation, but unless it uncovers evidence that the publishers are somehow sitting down together somewhere and setting prices on books or groups of books, then they will conclude their investigation with a finding that the allegations are unproven.

Last edited by stonetools; 12-17-2011 at 03:39 AM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... it seems to me that each publisher has a monopoly on each book that they
publish. There are not different publishers competing to provide different versions of
the same book by the same author.

I would also say that the value of a book is in what a consumer is willing to pay. If
you ask me, I don't think that all ebooks should be valued at $9.99 or any other arbitrary
price.

That "Agency Pricing" results in a set price for whole classes of ebook releases,
and that the pricing changes in lockstep with the other publishers ebooks, make
it obvious that there is some sort of collusion involved.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #45
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
Tell a lie big enough and some people will believe you.
Apple's reality distortion field anyone?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote