Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ah thanks. I'm no gamer. I didn't realize what WOW meant.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #47
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've learned something new today—before 7:30am.
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've learned something new today—before 7:30am.
Ah, you can go back to sleep then.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #49
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know your mind is already made up on the issue, but maybe if you had slowed down a little, you'd have noticed the source link:
http://www.media.rice.edu/media/News...=VIEW&ID=16282

Obviously it's not the study itself (which my added bolding shows hasn't been released yet), but it is an official release from Rice University. So the implication that it's simply propaganda by "some entity known as TorrentFreak" isn't exactly warranted.

You're slipping a little. Are your handlers still satisfied with your efforts here?

And I know that that your mind is closed, because you are just a card carrying member of the anti DRM digerati who looks at the issue through your ideological spectacles. Isn't name calling fun?

This so called study may as well have come directly from Torrent Freak. It's propaganda dressed up as a study. See my remarks below.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #50
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=kennyc;1781269]Quit being a tool.

You first.
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #51
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
This so called study may as well have come directly from Torrent Freak. It's propaganda dressed up as a study. See my remarks below.
And you know this because you are so very unbiased and so much better informed than anyone else here? Please.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #52
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
If I cared more about this I would be interested in reading the actual study when it's released, because the press release pretty much said nothing more than "researchers say DRM not good."

I do find the following quote a bit odd coming from a person who is supposed to have conducted academic research..

Haha. Gee whiz, I wonder if the study is riddled with confirmation bias.
Got it in one. The Ars Technica article is instructive. The commenters so completely debunked the article that even the anti DRM crowd stopped defending it by the end of page 2. At worst, this " paper" is a thought experiment, and a thought experiment by itself proves nothing. At best, it's self serving rhetoric dressed up as science.
There are just better grounds for anti DRM arguments than this, frankly. Let's move on.

I'm off to unpack after moving, so everyone have a great time attacking me in my absence and rehashing anti DRM arguments. TTFN.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools
And I know that that your mind is closed, because you are just a card carrying member of the anti DRM digerati who looks at the issue through your ideological spectacles.
I've never claimed otherwise. You're the one who has always tried to paint themselves as the model of rational objectivity—and failed miserably at it.

We're both extremists. I'm just comfortable enough to look in the mirror and accept it. I'm simply waiting on you to catch up. Because you know as well as I do, that the rational, objective, average reader just doesn't give the same two shits about the DRM issue as either you or I do.

Welcome to the fringe. Would you like a tour?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #54
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And you know this because you are so very unbiased and so much better informed than anyone else here? Please.
Look at the Ars Technica article and read Alfonse's comments. He nails it. Argue with HIM.

I'm no more informed than anyone here. I , however, am not emotionally invested in the idea that DRM is bad, and I do try to see it from all sides, including the side of well known authors and publishers. Almost no one here even pretends to look at things from their side . When I try to, I get huge amounts of abuse, accusations that I must be working for the publishers, and hysterical rants against me, generally ending with the moderators closing the threads - at least 3 times so far.

So frankly, I don't think the folks who attack me are more objective than I am. Their rhetoric proves it more than anything I could ever say. Check the archives, if you doubt this. Anyway.... Off to unpack.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #55
kennyc

Quote:

You first.
You are very much mistaken, no one pays me to stand up for my individual rights, whereas you on the other hand have a clear agenda that is handed down directly from the publishers attempting to maintain the status quo. In the end it will not work as has been demonstrated in all other predecessor digital technologies -- games, video, music.

This study states that quite clearly, but we already knew it. This is just confirmation.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-11-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #56
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
When I try to, I get huge amounts of abuse, accusations that I must be working for the publishers, and hysterical rants against me, generally ending with the moderators closing the threads - at least 3 times so far.
Maybe you should take that as a hint that you're not welcome around here.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Maybe you should take that as a hint that you're not welcome around here.
I wouldn't say not welcome, but the constant and consistent propaganda he spews could definitely be toned down.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #58
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
I don't think the folks who attack me are more objective than I am. Their rhetoric proves it more than anything I could ever say. Check the archives, if you doubt this. Anyway.... Off to unpack.
First off, your victim card clashes with that big chip on your shoulder. You should probably leave one of them at home. Whichever one is fine, but wearing the two of them together like this looks kind of tacky. Orange and pink? Really?

Second, "check the archives"? No stranger in a forum is important enough to do background checks on. Your posts in this thread is all you have to present yourself and your viewpoints with, and if any of those posts are objective, then I'm Catherine the Great.

You could at least try to present some kind of reasoned argument and data to back it up with, before you start whining that no one takes you seriously.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #59
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Everyone involved in personal attacks: STOP RIGHT NOW.

You are entitled to disagree with the issue, but making personal attacks and derogatory comments toward an individual is not allowed. Consider this a warning, folks.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I wouldn't say not welcome, but the constant and consistent propaganda he spews could definitely be toned down.
Hey, if he's inspired three threads to be closed because of his posts, maybe the island is trying to tell him something.
Closed Thread