Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
NC: Market supposedely working

In this thread on the XDA Developers Mista Muffin is saying how to get the Android market working. I will wait until I see more people chiming in with a success, but that's because I'm a wimp and don't want to spend an hour or so installing and configuring everything all over again!
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
In this thread on the XDA Developers Mista Muffin is saying how to get the Android market working. I will wait until I see more people chiming in with a success, but that's because I'm a wimp and don't want to spend an hour or so installing and configuring everything all over again!
Yeah, I won't be doing this (though it seems straightforward). The only time I plan on doing a factory reset (and starting from scratch) is when there's a B&N update that I need. Having access to Applanet now (instead of the official Android Market) is enough for me at this time.

I know I'll be foregoing some apps that require the Google stuff be resident. I've worked too hard to get things how I like. Just don't have the energy to do it again.

Last edited by SCION; 12-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yeah, I won't be doing this (though it seems straightforward). The only time I plan on doing a factory reset (and starting from scratch) is when there's a B&N update that I need. Having access to Applanet now (instead of the official Android Market) is enough for me at this time.

I know I'll be foregoing some apps that require the Google stuff be resident. I've worked too hard to get things how I like. Just don't have the energy to do it again.
+1...and maybe we'll get Google stuff when the Nook market releases...??
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
I followed the directions here on my already rooted NC and it worked fine without having to revert to stock. Market is a lot nicer than applanet, which I'd tried before this. It has already automatically informed me of updates to my installed apps and updated them without a hitch. The ones on applanet are often several versions old, and sometimes hacked versions that don't work correctly.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, French and I did as well. Should have updated our posts. You're right about Applanet. Was a nice workaround in the interim. Certainly not complaining.
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
ffred
Enthusiast
ffred began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ 701
Anyone here using Appbrain? (www.appbrain.com). It has the apps I want on its site, and complete instructions for downloading, but I just can't seem to make it work. I've been at it for four hours. Almost all the apps have barcode symbols, but there's directions for sideloading them.
ffred
ffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffred View Post
Anyone here using Appbrain? (www.appbrain.com). It has the apps I want on its site, and complete instructions for downloading, but I just can't seem to make it work. I've been at it for four hours. Almost all the apps have barcode symbols, but there's directions for sideloading them.
ffred
I use it. Perhaps this is of help.

http://www.appbrain.com/info/fast-web-install

Not sure what else you may be referring to.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffred View Post
ffred
Appbrain doesn't actually install apps itself, it's a front-end to the official market app on your NookColor.

The way to make it work is to first use the regular android Market and install the appbrain app on your NookColor. Then you launch the app on your device and authorize it to use your Google sign in account (this is safe, they use OAUTH, which means that appbrain never gets your Google password). Then you can log in via the web at appbrain.com and sign in with your google account on your PC, select apps in the web interface and click 'install'. This doesn't actually install them (unless you use the web installer that SCION mentioned). What it does do is add it to your appbrain sync list. Then you go back to your Nook, launch the appbrain app, choose "manage and sync" and "sync with AppBrain". It will have a handy list of apps you tagged online and from there you can tap them, go to the market and install them through the market.

It sounds round-a-bout, but it's actually very convenient. If you are surfing on your PC you can just tag apps that look interesting. They also let you keep and make lists of apps -- say you want to send a list of all your apps to your friends, (I once used it when I filed a bug report with a developer and he wanted to know what else I ran on my device -- to find a conflicting program -- and we found one, BTW) or maybe you want to keep a list online of your very favorite apps, or apps you may want to try in the future but don't want to worry about now -- all of that is super easy via appbrain.com. And they maintain lists of popular apps and you can easily filter by category and paid/free. I find its search function to be much better than the market app's search function. All-in-all, it's very handy.

I don't personally use the web-installer add-on, I like to control when things are downloaded to my device and make final install decisions one by one (as an example -- what if there was an update to a program between when you tagged it for download and when your device connected to the internet and this update was a bad one. You wouldn't know and it would be auto-installed. If you have to do it manually, you can and should do a quick doublecheck of comments before installing to make sure everything still seems kosher).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Old school here; if I see an app on appbrain that I want, I fire up Market on the NC, search, and download/install...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote