Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
locomouse
Enthusiast
locomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150
Red face Confused about personal content re: eBookwise 1150

Good evening everyone!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome here... it's an awesome resource!

I'll try to keep this question short. I've read pretty much everything in this forum, including the Wiki (again... kudos for all the info!) but I can't get my head around this...

On the eBookwise site under the heading "Moving Your Personal Content onto the eBookwise-1150" the last option is this:

4. By using a memory card reader device with the ETI eBook Publisher software tool.

Fair enough...

But then I read Kasrielle's post: "Getting imp files onto the reader - what am I missing?"

And nrapallo's reply: "Using 'windows explorer', just copy the .IMP files from where they are stored on your computer to the directory 'C:\GEBLibrarian\Bookshelf\Your Library.bookshelf'. That's it. No importing required."

I really can't afford to buy a SmartMemory card and a card reader right now.

So I have to ask... if I can get the ETI eBook Publisher to convert my .html files to .imp and have that .imp file on my desktop all ready to go... can I not just copy it to the GEBLibrarian folder as per nrapallo's reply?

If not... can I ask why not? And... if someone has the patience for it... please talk to me like I'm a five year old. This stuff is way over my head. But I'm trying really hard to understand!

Thanks so much!

Helen
locomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you have a copy of GEBLibrarian you can move the files that way.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
librarian

Did you download librarian? Librarian will automatically set up an import folder in your documents (my documents> documents > ebookwise librarian books to import

If you put .html and .rtf files in there it will import them for you when you open up librarian

If you are running Vista or Win7? Make sure you have Librarian installed in C > ebookwise librarian and running the program in NT compatibility mode.

Is that helpful?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
The impserve stuff will automagically convert a lot of formats on the fly while copying them to your ebookwise as well. If you decide to go with impserve (IT's free!! and works amazing!) it may take a bit longer to get running but if you read the docs and ask any questions here we'll get you going!
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
locomouse
Enthusiast

Dale... Amy... shighfield... thank you all very much for your replies!

This is all very helpful information. I'm running WinXP at the moment but I will make a note of Amy's caveat should I update to Vista or Win7.

I did have a look through all the stuff here regarding impserve but I think I'm too stupid to understand most of it...

Last night I spend quite awhile trying to get something useful out of Windows e-Book Publisher... and it finally resulted in an .imp file... but with errors... and somehow when I try to edit the file there is no longer any wordwrap and the lines stretch on for miles.

I've downloaded GEBLibrarian and have read its user manual... and I'm hoping it will be a little more forgiving and intuitive than Publisher.

I'll keep on plugging here (FedEx tracking reports my reader should arrive by next Monday) so it gives me some time to get stuff right.

Again, many thanks to all of you... and I'll more than likely be back with more questions before the dust settles...

Helen
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
auto reformatting

Librarian will automatically reformat txt, rtf and html files when you import them with the program. You don't need to mess with the ebook creator program, it just needs to be installed for Librarian to talk to.

In general reformatting can cause issues especially with special characters. " often turns in a ?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
locomouse
Enthusiast

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for your response. I decided that a little "stick-to-it-ness" was in order and have been working with the eBook Publisher for many hours now. I'm finding it less intimidating and have managed to clear all errors and add lots of new content. The files I have converted from .html all preview beautifully and I'm getting kind of excited that this may work afterall... My eBookwise reader hasn't arrived yet so I haven't been able to field test anything so far.

I do have a few questions, if I may.

1. On the Spine tab... the <item description> field... the manual says to simply click on <item description> and type in something meaningful. When I click that field to highlight it and then type Chapter One... it won't stick. As soon as I click out of the box it reverts back to <item description>. What am I missing?

2. I read the Wiki on eBook Publisher and took note of the tip to get the shortcut key on the reader to link to the TOC. Very good to know. But I'm wondering... if the TOC itself is coded with anchor tags... each chapter pointing to a corresponding anchor tag on an eBook page... will those links work to jump to the chapter? If so... how is that executed? By just touching the Chapter on the screen?

3. I found a post here about the optimum image size to use with the eBookwise 1150 so that the software does not re-size it without regard to aspect ratio... but I can't find that thread today. Are you familiar with it?

Thanks for any advice,

Helen