Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
JVIPER88
JVIPER88 began at the beginning.

Device: None
EZ Reader Pocket Pro Accessories?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been reading many of your posts to aid in my future ebook reader purchase. At the moment, I'm a bit torn between a couple of models.

I'm intrigued by the options, formats, and portability of the EZ Reader Pocket Pro but would like a book light similar to the light wedge sold by Sony for the PRS-505. I can't seem to find ANY additional accessories for the EZ Readers and I was wondering if any of you had come across a website where such things were sold.

And perhaps you can help me directly with my ebook reader purchase: Between the EZ Reader Pocket Pro and the PRS-505, which would you choose? I like all of the available formats for the EZ Reader and its upgraded controller and larger built in memory. The PRS-505 is older, but has the best screen it seems and has many of the same functions as the Pocket pro.

Thanks for all the help!!
JVIPER88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVIPER88 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been reading many of your posts to aid in my future ebook reader purchase. At the moment, I'm a bit torn between a couple of models.

I'm intrigued by the options, formats, and portability of the EZ Reader Pocket Pro but would like a book light similar to the light wedge sold by Sony for the PRS-505. I can't seem to find ANY additional accessories for the EZ Readers and I was wondering if any of you had come across a website where such things were sold.

And perhaps you can help me directly with my ebook reader purchase: Between the EZ Reader Pocket Pro and the PRS-505, which would you choose? I like all of the available formats for the EZ Reader and its upgraded controller and larger built in memory. The PRS-505 is older, but has the best screen it seems and has many of the same functions as the Pocket pro.

Welcome to the Mobileread.

I suspect what you are looking for might be in The Aztak forum, lower down in the forum list.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Welcome to the Mobileread.

I suspect what you are looking for might be in The Aztak forum, lower down in the forum list.
actually I think he's asked there, but since so few of us actually have our Pocket Pros yet, there's not much that can be done to answer there.

Perhaps the Hanlin-specific subforum would be a better bet. The size/form factor would be the same across all of the Hanlin V5-based machines like the Pocket Pro, so any case/light accessories that work for one should work for all.

In terms of the comparison to Sony machines, I can't speak to that but I am sure lots of others would be happy to do so! May want to check out the dedicated subforum for how to choose a machine, too...
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Hi JVIPER88, welcome to the Astak forum.

No one knows how to answer your question yet, the EZPro is too new. But perhaps some general information will help.

Of course, what accessories you get for anything depend on how you use the device, and that’s something else none of us really knows yet. Starting out we make assumptions and plan accordingly. Personally, I’ve used a variety of book readers, most have small, backlit screens. They are very portable but hard to read because I can’t get into the flow of the book: something always interrupts, like hard to read fonts or too many page turns.

When I first got a PRS500, later upgraded to a 505, I wanted a larger screen. At first, that six-inch screen seemed too small but over time it started to seem a bit too big: reading is good but it just isn’t very portable. I tried an iPod touch (3.5-inch screen) which is portable and decidedly bigger than the PDAs, but hard to read. The smaller font sizes on the Touch make me strain to see them while the big ones make me page constantly. I decided to give a five-inch reader a try in an attempt to hit the magic place between too big to carry easily and too small to read. All of this is by way of explaining my core, beginning assumptions: my purpose in getting an EZPro. There are other reasons, too, like replaceable batteries (we’ll see how that goes), ergonomics (the PRS300 looks to have an awkward placement of the paging keys, which, of course, are used constantly), and support for a good many eBook formats (we’ll see if they can actually bring eReader in, which will open a large library of older titles that are unlikely to be ported to ePub).

The product design of the PRS300 clearly reflects Sony’s opinion that the five-inch is primarily a portable book reader and BeBook seems to agree. They’re both shipping five-inch readers with a slip case when all their other readers come with covers. I’m thinking that a slip case really is more portable, but we’ll see. So a slip case is the first accessory I’m thinking of getting. Built NY makes a generic slip case called Built NY E-GPS-LKB Hoodie Portable GPS Case. It’s dimensions suggest it will fit the EZPro, but I would rather have a zippered enclosure but Built makes good quality slip cases. REI sells these so I plan to take my EZPro there and be sure it fits before I buy anything.

Some of the iPod accessories will also do for the EZPro. Consensus here seems to be that the EZPro battery will charge off of a standard USB port. The included charger is a superset of the standard and will charge it faster, but standard USB is not expected to harm the reader. The surge suppressor I use with my laptop has two, standard USB connections that work great with the iPod, and for travel I have a Scosche Revive with two standard USB ports that plugs into the “cigarette lighter” socket in the car.

I have some microfiber eyeglasses cleaning cloths to clean the screen, and I already have some book lights that should work with the EZPro. Time will tell. I use a light wedge with my 505 and it makes a significant difference in all low light situations as well as at night while my wife is trying to sleep. I hate having to try to start the search for a reading light all over. The light wedge works better with eBook readers than it does with pbooks, and I hope the company will make one for the EZPro, but time will tell. Their current models are too large for the EZPro. Judging from the photos of the EZPro, they would need a hinged clamshell design to attach it to the top of the EZPro with the wedge folding down over the screen; any other approach would cover the page controls.

There is no doubt that the PRS505 is a more mature design, and that the light wedge you can get for it is a great addition. Since Sony is discontinuing the 505 and its wedge light, you are pressured to decide now. On the other hand, there will probably be specialized accessories developed for all of these products, both those from Sony and Jenke. If it wasn’t such a tough decision about which one to get, most of us on this forum wouldn’t have acquired a collection of book readers. It seems that puzzling out these enigmas interests us.

Last edited by 6charlong; 09-16-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: I wrote the Touch has a 3-inch screen; it's 3.5-inch and there's a lot of text in the extra half inch.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
A Biased Opinion

Dear JVIPER88:

I work for Astak so I am biased. I would just like to add that the user-replaceable rechargeable battery and the 14 formats and the Text-To-Speech of the Pocket PRO are huge advantages for it. PLUS... the crush-resistant case and the ear buds are included.

Go to: www.theEZreader.com and see what professional reviewers think!

One of the most recommended lights for the Pocket PRO is the "Mighty Bright Extra Flex 2" now selling on Amazon at $13.45.

Thank you for considering the Astak Pocket PRO. The Sony 505 is a good device but getting a bit old.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear JVIPER88:

I work for Astak so I am biased. I would just like to add that the user-replaceable rechargeable battery and the 14 formats and the Text-To-Speech of the Pocket PRO are huge advantages for it. PLUS... the crush-resistant case and the ear buds are included.

Go to: www.theEZreader.com and see what professional reviewers think!

One of the most recommended lights for the Pocket PRO is the "Mighty Bright Extra Flex 2" now selling on Amazon at $13.45.
I don't work for Astak and I bought the EZ-Reader and am waiting on delivery of the pocket pro because of its flexibility with formats and its replaceable battery (you also get a charger and case that you would have to buy seperately for a Sony).

I use the Mighty Bright Extra Flex 2 and clip it onto the case. It works great.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I ordered a snuggie as a gag gift for my wife back in March. The free gift that came along with it was a book light which has lived in our junk drawer since then. I dug it out a couple days ago to try with my new Pocket Pro, and it worked surprisingly well.

So if you're cold while reading in the dark this is a solution. I guess.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear JVIPER88:

Just picked up one of these yesterday at Borders.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #9
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I was just thinking for anyone that wants to use sleeve instead of the cover that comes with the PP, maybe you want to use those cases that are mainly used for portable hard drive cases. I searched around over the web and found some that might work (according to dimension) at case logic. There are not exactly quite 5.9" inches but here are some that might work:

http://www.caselogic.com/portable_ha...modelid=133242
http://www.caselogic.com/neoprene_po...modelid=106096
http://www.caselogic.com/portable_ha...modelid=138035

I don't know if this will add more to the weight or even bulkier than the actual cover or not. I don't have the PP yet so I can't tell ya. I especially like the blue one though. The padding looks like it might not be thick enough to protect the screen though. Maybe some bigger screen GPS cases might work as well. There are a whole bunch of the generic revesible neoprene cases available on ebay also but Im not sure if it's padded enough. Maybe I'll order one and see how that fit.

Last edited by superstitious; 09-17-2009 at 12:36 AM.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVIPER88 View Post

Keep in mind that you are asking for "Buying Advice" in a Forum that is dedicated to the Astak device.

You will get a preponderance of biased opinions. The responses will be completely natural and understandable. . The same measure of response would occur if you asked for "Buying Advice" in a Kindle Forum or in a Sony Forum.

For a cross-section of discussion - and with a mix of impassioned opinions from owners who are in possession of a variety of Readers - I highly recommend that you visit the "Which One Should I Buy" Forum located here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Sincerely,
Don (Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-17-2009 at 07:44 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I've been looking around, but nobody seems to have posted a picture of the Pocket Pro! I'm most interested how the cover looks like...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote