Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #106
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My grave concern is that we're going to end up with a slew of differently-formatted files, all mutually incompatible, and all calling themselves "ePub". It could be a nightmare for the end user.
I agree with this statement. I have a hard enough time talking to people about eBook readers indicating the different formats that can be used on the different devices as it is. I would never be able to explain to my Mother, for example, that her brand new eBook reading device will read any ePub file, as long as she only buys the ones that say "Xxx" and not the ones that say "Xyz."
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #107
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I agree with this statement. I have a hard enough time talking to people about eBook readers indicating the different formats that can be used on the different devices as it is. I would never be able to explain to my Mother, for example, that her brand new eBook reading device will read any ePub file, as long as she only buys the ones that say "Xxx" and not the ones that say "Xyz."
drm is *already* a nightmare for a lot of people uncomfortable with technology, as is the current "e-babel" multiplication of formats. i can't even count how many times i've seen someone posting that they've lost access to all the books they bought because of the drm, and then of course there is the ongoing "don't call it an ereader, eReader is a format !" polemic, with sony owners buying eReader files because Fictionwise "recommends" that format, and then being dismayed that they can't do anything with them.

epub as a standard format is a HUGE step in the right direction to fixing this problem. the other part of the solution of course is the complete and definitive abolition of drm. i am convinced that this will eventually happen ; it's already begun (see PanMacMillan's drm-free epub files, among others), and the industries who have dematerialised their media previously have all gone down the drm road only to (finally) abandon it (mp3s...). i just hope that the publishing industry don't take 10 years to figure it out (again, since they've already started moving in that direction, i think there is a good chance they will get there sooner).

while multiple forms of drm on epub is a problem, of course, it would seem to me that it's nonetheless a less grave problem than the current situation already is. also, as others have mentioned, epub with ereader drm is actually good news overall since ereader drm is apparently easy to crack, so people will have a good archivable file that they are sure to be able to to access in the future, and will be able to read on *any* liseuse with epub support.

the real issue we should be concerned about is getting rid of drm so that well-meaning, honest customers don't find themselves locked out of their libraries through no fault of their own, as continues to happen practically on a daily basis.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #108
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also, as others have mentioned, epub with ereader drm is actually good news overall since ereader drm is apparently easy to crack, so people will have a good archivable file that they are sure to be able to to access in the future, and will be able to read on *any* liseuse with epub support.
Do we actually know that eReader's ePub files will use the same weak encryption algorithm that they use for eReader files, or is that just an assumption? They may well take the opportunity to "beef it up" and use a much stronger system! They are obviously just as aware of the fact that it's been "cracked" as we are. One might reasonably assume that the least they'd do would be to "break" the existing decryption tool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #109
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Do we actually know that eReader's ePub files will use the same weak encryption algorithm that they use for eReader files, or is that just an assumption? They may well take the opportunity to "beef it up" and use a much stronger system! They are obviously just as aware of the fact that it's been "cracked" as we are. One might reasonably assume that the least they'd do would be to "break" the existing decryption tool.
no, we don't, since none have been released. by the same token, we also don't know that epub files using different drm encryption systems will not have some obvious distinguishing characteristics !

regardless, all drm is crackable eventually, as the fact that almost all available encryption systems have already been cracked shows. i'm sure that any new ones will get cracked as well as soon as they start to become popular.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #110
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
OK.. eReader hasn't been cracked. Someone figured on the algorithm they were using. People that encrypt stuff should know to use real encryption just AES, DES, Blowfish, etc. If it were "cracked" you would be able to decrypt it without the key. Usually stuff that doesn't use strong standard encryption is the stuff that gets "cracked" like PDF passwords.

Alas... all encrypted books will be able to be decrypted if you have the key and know the algorithm used. If they are not, how else will the reader be able to read the book?

I think there is plenty of proof that DRM doesn't work. The analog hole will exist for a long time. The music industry has pretty much accepted this and most publishers not sell DRM free. I think it is only a mater of time for ebook publishers too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert