Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
You Can’t Wrap an E-Book - gifting ebooks

I found this Slate article via Overdrive.

Quote:
You Can’t Wrap an E-Book
Or can you? Nine ideas for making an invisible gift more fun to give.

It used to be easy to give your loved ones books for the holidays. You went to a bookstore, browsed the shelves , and picked out something thoughtful: Jodi Picoult’s latest for your mom, Harry Potter for your niece, maybe a Bill O’Reilly rant for that uncle who never shuts up at Thanksgiving.
But now everyone has a Kindle or a Nook or an iPad. And how do you give an e-book? Sure, you can just hand over a gift card. But where’s the fun in that? Here are nine ideas for turning an e-book into a gift you can wrap up and tuck under the tree.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
My mother bought me a couple ebooks last year. She brought over a large package full of newspaper, some rocks and other crud to add some weight to it.

Inside was a screen shot of her computer with the Amazon checkout screen and a notepad document open with a little message.

Mom is a bit of a nut.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They have an empty box as an idea, but to add rocks, newspapers and a screenshot of the checkout screen is so much better!!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
My mother bought me a couple ebooks last year. She brought over a large package full of newspaper, some rocks and other crud to add some weight to it.

Inside was a screen shot of her computer with the Amazon checkout screen and a notepad document open with a little message.

Mom is a bit of a nut.
That's actually a very nice gift! She really wanted to make you happy.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Print out the cover of the book, and make it into a Christmas Card. That way you have something to open on Christmas. I'm asking for the Silmarillion for Christmas. I would prefer to have the e-book gifted to me, rather than a gift card. You can give an e-book as a gift, and choose when it will be delivered. I just won't turn on the wifi on my Kindle until it is time to open presents.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would it be a copyright violation if the vendor added a personal greeting before the front page?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Even before ebooks., my family never bought me books as gifts. They could never know if I already had it. Before gift cards it was checks or cash in a nice card with a message. Now it is gift cards. I just have to convince them not to buy Books A Million Gift Cards. It is the only book store in town and their ebook selection sucks.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
xendula
eBookworm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Print out the cover of the book, and make it into a Christmas Card.
That's a cool idea. You an even print it out in one of those phto printers in drugstores.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Would it be a copyright violation if the vendor added a personal greeting before the front page?
I don't know, but that would be a geat idea. Or they could let you add a little message to the cover, so you can see it on readers that display covers on the home screen.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
#6 has the potential to be a disaster.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
#6 has the potential to be a disaster.
Because it would be a copyright violation?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Print out the cover of the book, and make it into a Christmas Card. That way you have something to open on Christmas. I'm asking for the Silmarillion for Christmas. I would prefer to have the e-book gifted to me, rather than a gift card. You can give an e-book as a gift, and choose when it will be delivered. I just won't turn on the wifi on my Kindle until it is time to open presents.
One of the choices you have when giving an Amazon gift card is to use your own printer: it prints out a page and you fold it in quarters and get a card with a seasonally-appropriate graphic on the front and another graphic plus message and gift card code on the inside.

I'd love it if you could do that with an e-book gift card: the recipient gets a 6x4 card with the book cover on it, and when you open it it has a message and a code you enter to redeem the book.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Print out the cover of the book, and make it into a Christmas Card. That way you have something to open on Christmas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
One of the choices you have when giving an Amazon gift card is to use your own printer: it prints out a page and you fold it in quarters and get a card with a seasonally-appropriate graphic on the front and another graphic plus message and gift card code on the inside.

I'd love it if you could do that with an e-book gift card: the recipient gets a 6x4 card with the book cover on it, and when you open it it has a message and a code you enter to redeem the book.
I love these ideas. And to go along with the mug idea, maybe a "snuggly" reading set, with a throw (heated or not), slippers, a set of different coffees/teas/soups, coasters, mug, a tray to put everything on, and the card with the gift certificate.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
I love these ideas. And to go along with the mug idea, maybe a "snuggly" reading set, with a throw (heated or not), slippers, a set of different coffees/teas/soups, coasters, mug, a tray to put everything on, and the card with the gift certificate.
That's a cuuute idea as well

Or how about a box of chocolates with one chocolate replaced by a note with a picture of the book cover saying "I thought these chocolates would go well with the ebook I got you"?

This would also work with the note inside a gourmet coffee tin.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post

Mom is a bit of a nut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
They have an empty box as an idea, but to add rocks, newspapers and a screenshot of the checkout screen is so much better!!

I agree! But, then, I am a geologist.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote