Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Samung Galaxy Player 5.8 now official

Samsung is apparently trying to get an Android device on the market for every screen size ever theorized and they announced (but long since leaked) Galaxy player 5.8 fits into that plan very well.

The name comes from the 5.8-inch screen that the device features, which has a rather low resolution of 960 x 540. Android 4.0 is onboard, and you have Bluetooth 4, a VGA front camera, 16 or 32GB of internal memory, and a micro SDHC expansion slot. A dual core 1GHz chip and 1GB of RAM was rumored, but the official information doesn’t mention that part of the hardware.

This player is hard to place in today’s market. The argument for existing Galaxy Players has been that they’re portable than tablets, and cheaper than phones.
5.8 inches is closer than before to the 7-inch tablet market, which consists of budget devices like the NEXUS 7 ,kindle HD ,barns buster HD ,Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

With the Galaxy Nexus you get a much higher resolution screen and much better performance, but it seriously lacks in the storage department. The Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 doesn’t have as impressive a screen or chipset, but has more bells and whistles like a micro SDHC slot and camera.

And of course the nexus 7 that stormed the tablet world taking no prisoners with it's high specs and low price and is still considered by a number of online Reviewers to be the king of the hill for modestly priced tablets as it contains a full arsenal of features and does not imprison it's buyers into a padded cell like environment like some other OS do.

Even so, a 5.8-inch device is still more pocket-able than a 7-inch tablet, so the new Galaxy Player isn’t necessarily doomed right away. I guess it will all depend on the price, which isn’t yet known.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-31-2012 at 04:44 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I strongly suspect that it's really a 15cm screen (5.8" is 14.7cm). Screens are generally made in "metric" sizes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just found out that GPS comes as standard and it will have Ice cream sandwich with Samsung's own TouchWiz UI on top Installed .so you will have to wait yet again for samsung to update it to jelly bean in the distant future as and when they see fit.

It looks like the nexus 7 will still be the only NEW device released this year that is running jelly bean come Christmas time hopefully samsung will play catch eventually for all it's customers.

I have still not found any dimensions for it and im interested on it's weight.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
What's going to make or break this device is price.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
darksaber35
Banned

Yes thats what i said , it better be lower than the older galaxy 5 as it's currently selling on amaon usa for $204 and that was released in 2011.
Lowest price in the UK is for the galaxy 5inch 8gb version at £170 £30 more and you can have a nexus 7 16gb or a 32gb kindle fire HD.

If i was going to loose screen space and some extras that a 7' tablet has then i would expect it to be cheaper than those prices.

USA
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...DW/ref=lh_ni_t

UK
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1060...FaTKtAodrXkA-w

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-09-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
For me this isn't very useful.

There are two classes of devices that I can have. The small enough to be in my pocket all the time, and the too big to be in my pocket device that I use when I can.

This device could fit in my pocket--and I wouldn't mind it--but it doesn't have a phone. Something my pocket device needs. Heck if my Nexus 7 had a smaller bezel I could put it in my pocket.

Still, I like to see that Samsung is covering so many small niches.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post

This device could fit in my pocket--and I wouldn't mind it--but it doesn't have a phone. Something my pocket device needs. Heck if my Nexus 7 had a smaller bezel I could put it in my pocket.
That's why pants have *two* pockets!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Samsung is apparently trying to get an Android device on the market for every screen size ever theorized and they announced (but long since leaked) Galaxy player 5.8 fits into that plan very well. ---
Maybe this winter, when we go on vacation in sunny waters, I will have a Samsung Player and be ready to pass my Archos along.
There will be certainly a variety to choose from.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Yes thats what i said , it better be lower than the older galaxy 5 as it's currently selling on amaon usa for $204 and that was released in 2011.
Lowest price in the UK is for the galaxy 5inch 8gb version at £170 £30 more and you can have a nexus 7 16gb or a 32gb kindle fire HD.

If i was going to loose screen space and some extras that a 7' tablet has then i would expect it to be cheaper than those prices.

USA
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...DW/ref=lh_ni_t

UK
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1060...FaTKtAodrXkA-w

I've come very, very close to buying the Galaxy Player 5. But I couldn't bring myself to spend $199 (Best Buy regularly has these on sale) for a "stale" device. Especially when I bought a GTab 2 7.0 Student Edition for a few bucks more.

If Samsung is true to form, this thing will be priced starting at $200.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I have still not found any dimensions for it and im interested on it's weight.
I found these dimensions awhile back, but don't remember where I saw them:
  • 6.5" x 3.4" x 0.43"
  • 7.9 oz
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
link to the article quoted in the OP http://anythingbutipod.com/2012/08/s...-now-official/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc

http://translate.google.com/translat...row.com%2F3137
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:

And of course the nexus 7 that stormed the tablet world taking no prisoners with it's high specs and low price and is still considered by a number of online Reviewers to be the king of the hill for modestly priced tablets as it contains a full arsenal of features and does not imprison it's buyers into a padded cell like environment like some other OS do.
Am I right in thinking that the Nexus doesn't have an SD slot?
If that is the case then, Nexus does imprison.

And as you said the Galaxy players are more pocket-able.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Am I right in thinking that the Nexus doesn't have an SD slot?
If that is the case then, Nexus does imprison.

And as you said the Galaxy players are more pocket-able.
The Nexus devices (with the exception of the Nexus One) do not have SD card slots. On the Nexus 7 you can use USB sticks or SD cards via adapters with an USB OTG cable though.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The Nexus devices (with the exception of the Nexus One) do not have SD card slots. On the Nexus 7 you can use USB sticks or SD cards via adapters with an USB OTG cable though.
http://youtu.be/fZ7nlsAYZ2o

As afv011 said,that's a thing of the past and best of all you don't need any rooting to access USB memory cards,sticks or portable hard drives.

Not only that but the NEXUS MEDIA IMPORTER also allows other devices like the Galaxy Nexus , Motorola Xoom to expand there storage easily .It also Works with conflict with the Samsung S3 , Archos G9 and supports FAT16,FAT32,NTFS memory storage devices.

The developer has accomplished something no other has by bringing a very cheap and easy to use App to devices that could only have expanded there storage before by rooting.So he deserves some credit and has sold well over 50,000++ of his Apps so far.

I for one have 73gb of storage (using my Sandisk 64GB Ultra)when i leave the house and could easy take more if i took my 16gb Sandisk slice USB stick or 16GB SDHC card out of my camera too and nearly every one these days has a USB memory stick or card lying around the house

When i fly out to hong kong in December im taking my nexus 7 + my 500gb external hard drive (full of media )+64gb usb memory stick with me instead of my clunky laptop and saving valuable luggage space and weight

$2.99
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...importer&hl=en

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-09-11-59-06.png
Views:	274
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	93739  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-09-2012 at 08:01 AM.