Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
roquet
Enthusiast
roquet began at the beginning.

Device: iriver X20, Bookeen Cybook
how to read imp files?

which reader software do I need to read imp files?

Thanks
roquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by roquet View Post
which reader software do I need to read imp files?

Thanks
IMP is the proprietary ebook format used by the eBookwise devices. To read an IMP on a PC, you have to install the eBookwise software.

In reality, an OEBPS standard ebook is the underlying format of IMP. However, some type of compression, optional DRM and other, unknown processing is done to turn the OEBPS into an IMP. This is similar to how Microsoft turns an OEBPS ebook into a LIT. The difference is, you can take a LIT and get the OEBPS back. I don't know of any way to do the same with an IMP.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #3
roquet
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
To read an IMP on a PC, you have to install the eBookwise software.
where can I get it? http://www.ebookwise.com/ doesn't seem to have software for download.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
where can I get it? http://www.ebookwise.com/ doesn't seem to have software for download.
You didn't look hard enough

This page tells you all about transfering your content to the reader.At the very bottom is a link to the software for creating that content yourself.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
roquet
Enthusiast

ok, I intalled that stuff. It now opens imp files with a program called eBook Viewer which doesn't look very nice. I prefer Mobipocket Reader.
Advert
Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #6
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
ok, I intalled that stuff. It now opens imp files with a program called eBook Viewer which doesn't look very nice. I prefer Mobipocket Reader.
You asked what IMP files were and how to read them. That's what I gave you. If you think it was a waste of your time, imagine how I feel.

As for how it looks, the software is only emulating how it would look on the hardware reader. There are two different eBookwise readers. One is VGA color and the other is 1/2 VGA greyscale. The IMP has to be created for the specific reader. Since the eBookwise 1150 is more widely available, that is the one everyone creates IMP ebooks for, not the VGA color device.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:27 AM   #7
roquet
Enthusiast

all I'm saying is I wouldn't want to read a book in eBook Viewer because the layout isn't very nice. Maybe it looks better on the reader device itself. I hope so! But Minipocket Reader looks fine on my pc (XP).

From what I read on this site, imp files don't seem convertable to other formats. So the only thing to view them in is eBook Viewer? If I don't like that, look for them in a different format.