Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #46
landrew
landrew began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire, Nook
I did all of these things. The reset button at least resulted in a live screen (for about 10 seconds) and a battery indicator that says "X". The Vox has charged more or less continuously for days now.

I only received and charged it up the first time on Dec 7. There was a problem with the initial startup (update wouldn't work) until I found a location where it would work. I don't know what position it was in, probably not a flat surface as I was at a conference.

I probably do have a battery problem, however, as I am in South and Central America now until April it will not be possible to replace the unit or even the battery. I surely hope the KOBO warranty lasts until I get home or I will be extremely angry. Only bought the thing for this trip!!!!
landrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #47
Anlon
Anlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Sony PRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogies View Post
I have just recieved the Kobo vox for a Christmas pressie, It charged succesfully for the first time then got down to 10% and now won't charge. I have done everything that has been suggested including using the computer charger, power charged, holding the power button for 10s etc, nothing is working. these only arrived in New Zealand a couple of week prior to Christmas. Please can i have some more help with this as i would really like to finish my book.
deb
Your Vox is charged but the software is not showing it. If you pull off the back cover of your Vox to the top right of the battery is a rest button. Press that and restart your Vox and it should show you your proper charge.

Quote:
I did all of these things. The reset button at least resulted in a live screen (for about 10 seconds) and a battery indicator that says "X". The Vox has charged more or less continuously for days now.

I only received and charged it up the first time on Dec 7. There was a problem with the initial startup (update wouldn't work) until I found a location where it would work. I don't know what position it was in, probably not a flat surface as I was at a conference.

I probably do have a battery problem, however, as I am in South and Central America now until April it will not be possible to replace the unit or even the battery. I surely hope the KOBO warranty lasts until I get home or I will be extremely angry. Only bought the thing for this trip!!!!
By reset button do you mean the one under the back cover? You can also try unplugging the battery for a short while and see if that works.

KOBO released an update just before Christmas in North America that has fixed pretty much all of the problems that I was having with my Vox. I think they said that is is coming for the rest of the world soon....

Later

Steve
Anlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #48
lepremier
lepremier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo VOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Pressing the reset button under the back cover does make the indicator reflect the real charge level, but other than that, it doesn't update with the new charge from other chargers...I got myself an iPad USB charger (2.1 A) and already had a long Blackberry USB cable and they work like a charm, recharges very quickly.

Cdesja5....I have also tried recharging my VOX with my iPad (2.1A) charger and get no obvious response. Can you confirm that by pressing the reset button it will reflect the recharge and do you have to do this each time you recharge or is it just a one time reset...thanks
lepremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #49
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepremier View Post
Cdesja5....I have also tried recharging my VOX with my iPad (2.1A) charger and get no obvious response. Can you confirm that by pressing the reset button it will reflect the recharge and do you have to do this each time you recharge or is it just a one time reset...thanks
I did the reset on a one-time basis just to verify that it had charged. You would have to do it every time if you wanted to see the true level...At this time the battery meter only updates with the dedicated Vox charger; hopefully they may do something to fix this in the future.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
lepremier
lepremier began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo VOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I did the reset on a one-time basis just to verify that it had charged. You would have to do it every time if you wanted to see the true level...At this time the battery meter only updates with the dedicated Vox charger; hopefully they may do something to fix this in the future.
Cdesja5...I forgot to ask you last time, when you recharged using the iPad USB adapter did you also try using the USB cable that came with the VOX or only with your Blackberry cable.
I just got a reply from Kobo saying that it is not possible to use their USB cable for anything other than connecting to a computer.......

. Quote...."We apologize for the confusion, we believed you meant to charge your Kobo Vox via a USB cable and using your computer, a USB plug adapter with the correct amperage should be sufficient to charge your Kobo Vox. The USB cable that comes with the Kobo Vox will not allow for charging the Kobo Vox, the cable is meant to allow you to transfer files to the Kobo Vox and use it as a storage device."

I thought that all USB cables were good for data transfer and charging...am I mistaken? I also just tried using another USB cable with the plug/adapter that I bought at the same time but alas with no success.
Thanks....
lepremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #51
Whoover
Enthusiast
Whoover began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300, Kobo Vox
I was also a bit worried when purchasing a back-up charger plug and data cable. The charger was fine (an iWantit travel adapter with 2.1A output if anyone in UK is interested), but I didn't realize till I got home that I'd bought a 'data' cable set. It contained a USB cable with a Mini-USB at one end and a set of 'adaptors' for LG & Samsung phones (one of which was a Micro-USB).

However, subsequent tests have proved this cable is capable of carrying a charge into the Vox, so you have to take a chance on some purchases, as the packaging didn't specifically mention it would.

EDIT: added links below.

Charger
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/iwanti...45096-pdt.html

This isn't the exact one I got - but very similar.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Last edited by Whoover; 01-04-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Whoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #52
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepremier View Post
Cdesja5...I forgot to ask you last time, when you recharged using the iPad USB adapter did you also try using the USB cable that came with the VOX or only with your Blackberry cable.
I just got a reply from Kobo saying that it is not possible to use their USB cable for anything other than connecting to a computer.......

. Quote...."We apologize for the confusion, we believed you meant to charge your Kobo Vox via a USB cable and using your computer, a USB plug adapter with the correct amperage should be sufficient to charge your Kobo Vox. The USB cable that comes with the Kobo Vox will not allow for charging the Kobo Vox, the cable is meant to allow you to transfer files to the Kobo Vox and use it as a storage device."

I thought that all USB cables were good for data transfer and charging...am I mistaken? I also just tried using another USB cable with the plug/adapter that I bought at the same time but alas with no success.
Thanks....
I've been using my Blackberry usb cable because it is 45" long and it works great with the iPad charger. I haven't tried the original cable long enough to see if it charges, I'll try it tonight and let you know. I did try it for a short time to see if the battery indicator would show it was charging but it didn't show as charging.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-04-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added charge results with Vox usb
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #53
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I do believe that a USB charger rated at 2 amps or more and having a micro USB connector will work, just not show the correct level in the battery icon on the status line. However, apparently either rebooting or connecting the Vox charger will restore the icon to indicate correctly. The micro USB connector has 5 contact positions, but position 4 is not used. The Vox micro USB connectors have all 5 contacts, so #4 is probably used for a proprietary purpose to work with the battery indicator. It has been suggested there is a resistor involved. Maybe that's what's in the "lump" in the Vox charger cable.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #54
Cdesja5
Wizard

Eureka! The Kobo Usb cable also charges with the iPad charger. It unfortunately does not update the battery indicator but when you push the reset button (behind the back cover, or plug in the real charger, turn off & on again,does show that it charged.