Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
rewilkins8
rewilkins8 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre Conversion for Table of Contents

I've run my word file as a filtered HTML. The resulting ebook from Calibre looks great on both Nook and Kindle (I have two books availabe on both). The table of contents shows up just fine on Nook, but it doesn't work on Kindle. I've tried downloading just the HTML throught Kindle Direct Publishing and the ebook as converted through Calibre, but neither method is working. I have a Word-Created Table of Contents. How do I get the Table of Contents to work with the Kindle ebook?
rewilkins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I probably don't know THE answer but this is what I did:
1. Import your HTML into SIGIL
2. Highlight your chapter headers and select the H1, H2 etc...

This will create a good working epub with a TOC and THEN inport into Calibre and convert the epub to mobi.

Good luck, I think I spent more time with formatting issues than I did with the actual writing of my first book.

But it works.

TL
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #3
rewilkins8
rewilkins8 began at the beginning.

All my chapter headers are already H1. When I do the Table of Contents conversion, I tell Calibre //h:h1. This works in Nook. Not working in Kindle. When I pull up the SIGIL, my brain goes numb. Do I just pull up the book, click on chapter heading and say select all then save the document? Sorry for the confusion. SIGIL scares me lol. All those tabs! Calibre is easy. I LOVE the program. It's very user friendly.
rewilkins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to Mobileread ... Me thinks this would have been better in the Calibre Forum
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

@rewilkins8. Maybe this could help you.
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewilkins8 View Post
All my chapter headers are already H1. When I do the Table of Contents conversion, I tell Calibre //h:h1. This works in Nook. Not working in Kindle. When I pull up the SIGIL, my brain goes numb. Do I just pull up the book, click on chapter heading and say select all then save the document? Sorry for the confusion. SIGIL scares me lol. All those tabs! Calibre is easy. I LOVE the program. It's very user friendly.
Open your book in SIGIL. Highlight your first chapter heading and then select H1 over on the left (where it says NORMAL). Slide down to the next chapter heading and perform it again. When you've got them all marked as an H1 (or H2 if you want them smaller) Click on TOOLs and open the TOC Editor. Check to make sure all your chapters are there. Un-check anything that isn't supposed to be in there such as blanks.

Go to the Metadata drop down under TOOLS and add your Title and Author. You can add other Metadata here too.....

You can also add a chapter break and designate a Title Page/Dedication Page/Epilogue Page etc. by opening up BOOK BROWSER under VIEW and using Control/Left Click (on a Mac, it may vary with a PC) and designate each HTML you've just seperted out (with the Chapter break) as such when the drop down appears "Add Semantics". Just select Dedication/Epilogue or whatever for each new HTML you created when you did a Chapter Break. It isn't necessary to break your chapters into separate HTMLs with the chapter break.

If you want the book to start with Preface then leave it alone and "living" in the same HTML as the rest of your book -the portion you have not modified by using the "Add Semantics" drop down.

Make sense?

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion, kindle table of contents