Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #151
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
Does anybody know if the nook update 2.5.1 works on new hardware? Serial 1033XXX?

If that's the case, which is the best way to install it?
It doesn't for me. It reboots during applying updates. Have you tried it?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #152
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
It doesn't for me. It reboots during applying updates. Have you tried it?
No i haven't.... Does this bricked your nook? or you could restore it to your previous state?

What i have read in other post is that if you update from a rooted nook, you can have the 1.5 fw update + the rooted nook fw in version 1.4.1.
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #153
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
So you are saying the root carries over? I am a bit sceptical of that. My nook is on 1.4.3 anyway... I am going to wait for someone to confirm that rooting is possible on 1.5 before I go through with it.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:53 PM   #154
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
So you are saying the root carries over? I am a bit sceptical of that.
The nookdevs apps carry forward. But I suspect that if they try to install new apps or connect to the nook with adb, they'll find that it's not exactly rooted any more.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #155
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkevin View Post
The nookdevs apps carry forward. But I suspect that if they try to install new apps or connect to the nook with adb, they'll find that it's not exactly rooted any more.
Ah, that makes more sense. Still, I wonder if the manual root still works.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #156
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 / OnePlus 5
Doesn't interest me : they don't sell it in my country nor plan to sell it.

Last edited by glin; 11-28-2010 at 04:55 AM.
glin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #157
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
No i haven't.... Does this bricked your nook? or you could restore it to your previous state?

What i have read in other post is that if you update from a rooted nook, you can have the 1.5 fw update + the rooted nook fw in version 1.4.1.
Nope, no brick. The update failed to complete, but I was left where I was at.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #158
EmVee
EmVee began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glin View Post
Doesn't interest me : they don't sell it in my counrty nor plan to sell it.
So uh... You still felt compelled to state this why, exactly?
EmVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #159
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
How many MB is the rooted update supposed to be?
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #160
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
How many MB is the rooted update supposed to be?
About 66 MB. (The official B&N update is about 62 MB.)
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #161
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmVee View Post
Frankly, I'm kind of surprised at expectation that B&N would be interested to sell nook outside of US. 99.9% percent of their ebook business is English, probably American English, the ebooks, I'm sure, are supposed subsidize the cost of nook hardware. So why would they be interested in selling the hardware below its cost without no outlook to get it returned (and make profit) in other ways?
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #162
jrosw
jrosw began at the beginning.

Device: Newer HW Nook
wifi_stop method won't work with 1.5

Just a heads up for anyone interested:

The rooting method for 1.4.1 (changing DNS to overwrite wifi_stop.sh & gain adb) won't work if you update to 1.5 - I've looked at the init.rc in the new update and they have changed the permissions in /init.rc to 555 so it can't be written.

Code:
   # Set WLAN Driver Status
    setprop wlan.driver.status ok
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_start.sh
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_stop.sh
And there are no other files that I can see that are 777.

So if you're already rooted on 1.4.x you might want to stay there for a bit.

Though I see from this thread some that have updated were able to keep their nookdev apps. So I wonder if we could use wifi locker to re-enable adb (at least long enough to modify /init.rc) after the update?

I have one of the new 1003 nooks but I don't have a mSD card so I can't test the softroots in this thread
jrosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #163
glin
Groupie
glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmVee View Post
Seems to be an anglo-saxon only product.
So bad.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #164
glin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Frankly, I'm kind of surprised at expectation that B&N would be interested to sell nook outside of US. 99.9% percent of their ebook business is English, probably American English, the ebooks, I'm sure, are supposed subsidize the cost of nook hardware. So why would they be interested in selling the hardware below its cost without no outlook to get it returned (and make profit) in other ways?
Most other ereaders (Kindle, Sony, Bebook and many many other) are available in Europe via Internet, some even displayed in big books stores such as FNAC, why not Nook ???
Old 11-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #165
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrosw View Post
Just a heads up for anyone interested:

The rooting method for 1.4.1 (changing DNS to overwrite wifi_stop.sh & gain adb) won't work if you update to 1.5 - I've looked at the init.rc in the new update and they have changed the permissions in /init.rc to 555 so it can't be written.

Code:
   # Set WLAN Driver Status
    setprop wlan.driver.status ok
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_start.sh
    chmod 0555 /etc/wifi_stop.sh
And there are no other files that I can see that are 777.

So if you're already rooted on 1.4.x you might want to stay there for a bit.

Though I see from this thread some that have updated were able to keep their nookdev apps. So I wonder if we could use wifi locker to re-enable adb (at least long enough to modify /init.rc) after the update?

I have one of the new 1003 nooks but I don't have a mSD card so I can't test the softroots in this thread
Thanks for the info...

Guess i'l stay on my rooted 1.4.3 for a while... Maybe this is why nookdevs haven't posted anything on their web site...
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote