Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
everlong
everlong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre for Kindle

Hi, I have this problem when I'm converting PDF documents into MOBI for my Kindle. When I send it to my device sometimes (it's not too frequent) there are line breaks where I don't want them ie: in the middle of a paragraph. How do I stop this happening? I have checked through my source file - a word document and checked the paragraph markers and all seems to be in order.
everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The easiest way is to NOT convert to PDF first.

Seriously, you're far better off saving as Web Page, Filtered, or converting directly to prc format using Mobipocket.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong View Post
How do I stop this happening? I have checked through my source file - a word document and checked the paragraph markers and all seems to be in order.
Follow CRussel's and don't convert to PDF. PDF is a print format not a eReader format. Read this sticky post about PDFs being used as a source format.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
everlong

thanks very much for the advice, if I save my PDF as a web page filtered will it still detect chapters to create the TOC?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong View Post
thanks very much for the advice, if I save my PDF as a web page filtered will it still detect chapters to create the TOC?
You said it was a Word Doc file to start. Save that doc file as web page filtered and avoid using PDF as any part of the process. After you have that done someone can help you with the TOC.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
everlong

oh yes sorry! Thanks for the advice, it's really helped sort out my paragraph structure now!