Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #91
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I had never put much emphasis on the wireless side of things until I got a Kindle. I still don't find it that important for books, but for news and blogs it's just great to wake up and have your updates waiting for you.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Autosync for daily newspaper and such. The ability to access the ebook store and your ebook archive without needing to tether to a PC.

BOb
But those things (with the possible exception of the latter) depend of the availability of such facilities at the "server" end. If there are no such facilities existing in your country, is there any point in the WiFi? I know that I pretty much never used the WiFi on my iLiad simply because there was nothing really to use it for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #93
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But those things (with the possible exception of the latter) depend of the availability of such facilities at the "server" end. If there are no such facilities existing in your country, is there any point in the WiFi? I know that I pretty much never used the WiFi on my iLiad simply because there was nothing really to use it for.
Yes, but the iLiad had slots for memory cards, the DR800 hasn't (not easily accessible I mean). To transfer things to the device, you have to use the USB cable. With my iLiad I never used the cable, I just pulled out the SD card and put it in my PC ... no need to find that damn cable.
If they added either wifi or an SD card slot, I'd buy it immediately ... now I'm not sure what to do.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #94
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
But Harryt now there is more infrastructure in place for WiFi uses. Yesterday I used the wifi in the Boox to download a Tarzan book from Gutenberg. Mind you i was only testing it- I'm actually reading your versions.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
But now there is more infrastructure in place for WiFi uses. Yesterday I used the wifi in the Boox to download a Tarzan book from Gutenberg. Mind you i was only testing it- I'm actually reading your versions.
But what did you download it with? A web browser? My point was that the DR800 doesn't have a web browser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #96
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes the browser. I realize it doesn't have a proper browser but with the DR800 attached to B&N there will be subscription content available to "push" to the device using the WiFi. You will be able to shop for new books as well.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #97
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
The other use is for their "emall" concept. I believe they are launching with two bookstores on the device although I may be wrong an it might only be B&N. Either way, if other services get added you would have access to them and they've also indicated a development platform would become available to develop other applications.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #98
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
But what did you download it with? A web browser? My point was that the DR800 doesn't have a web browser.
yes, if it doesn't have a browser, the wi-fi is useless. although, i'm not sure if programming a basic browser that could read, let's say, rss feeds and wikipedia and including it in the firmware would be that difficult. it depends also on the hardware, but it would be nice to be able to read blogs and wiki from an e-book reader. but it wouldn't be a must.
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #99
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Just posted the official press release in the forum...
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #100
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
What would you use WiFi for? The device doesn't have a web browser.
You could probably add your own.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #101
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Indeed. It is at least cheaper than the iLiad, although I had expected something more in line with the announced 400$ US price.
According to the website, it's $599. Which would translate to €416. Which is €495 if you include the 19% VAT.

(thanks for this thread)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #102
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
According to the website, it's $599. Which would translate to €416. Which is €495 if you include the 19% VAT.

(thanks for this thread)
Isn't the 800 supposed to sell for $400 at Best Buy? why is in $599 directly from iRex?

And I still don't see it at BestBuys web site.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #103
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Isn't the 800 supposed to sell for $400 at Best Buy? why is in $599 directly from iRex?

And I still don't see it at BestBuys web site.

BOb
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=160

It has been delayed... And besides, they keep breaking the promises from their press releases as the latest said there would be a cover included, but apparently there isn't...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=16
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=160

It has been delayed... And besides, they keep breaking the promises from their press releases as the latest said there would be a cover included, but apparently there isn't...

So you are getting the 800S without the G? For $600?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #105
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:

According to their press release:
http://www.irextechnologies.com/abou..._Reader_DR800S

Quote:
The device will sell for Euro 499/GBP 449, including VAT, and comes with a custom cover and stylus.
If this is not the case, then they seriously have internal problems.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex