Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #61
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
I agree and I also think that the real reason for the DR800SG delay in the US was not a manufacturing shortage with the screens (made by PVI), but some serious problem that arose with the subsidizing agreement between Irex and Barnes and Nobles.
My thought is that Best Buy & Barnes and Noble did not want to subsidize it until the annotation feature was complete and they had proper support for the latest DRM for the bookstore. If the annotation feature is on hold until April now, I doubt we will see it before then.

Even if it does show up before April. I won't buy it until the features are working and I've seen someone review all of the features. I hope they come through on their promises, but I am not holding my breath.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #62
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
... and we're not supposed to wonder what is going on with this PR disaster.
Why not? I'm certainly wondering.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #63
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabrum View Post
$700!!!! For something that isn't quite whole yet??? And not available in the US??? I was waiting for the iRex 800, but now I'll just order the new Kindle DXi.

I think with all the other eReaders out there, there are going to have a hard time at that price, Euros or Dollars.
Keep in mind that it is common practice for companies to keep the US list price in dollars and just change the currency to Euros. Sony has done the same thing for their products. A $299 reader in the U.S. is 299 Euros in Europe. It doesn't seem to make sense, but it is pretty common in the consumer electronics space. I was a little surprised at the price as well until I did the math and realized the price is roughly equivalent to the quoted $399 US list price.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I wonder what this means for US distribution. We still don't have any update on that.
Agreed... you still can't get this in the US... it was supposed to be available "later this fall" when they announced it last year.

I just went to BestBuy's web site and a search for iRex and DR800 come up with nothing. Weren't these to be sold at BestBuy?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #65
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Agreed... you still can't get this in the US... it was supposed to be available "later this fall" when they announced it last year.

I just went to BestBuy's web site and a search for iRex and DR800 come up with nothing. Weren't these to be sold at BestBuy?

BOb
My understanding is that it still will be sold at Best Buy, it's just not released yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #66
LegoErgoSum
Enthusiast
LegoErgoSum began at the beginning.

Device: PB360
Quote:
Keep in mind that it is common practice for companies to keep the US list price in dollars and just change the currency to Euros. Sony has done the same thing for their products. A $299 reader in the U.S. is 299 Euros in Europe. It doesn't seem to make sense, but it is pretty common in the consumer electronics space. I was a little surprised at the price as well until I did the math and realized the price is roughly equivalent to the quoted $399 US list price.
it's not roughly equivalent at all. yeah it is quite common that a $399 reader would cost €399, but this time it's €499 that is €100 or about $150 more.
i think that is not justified at all.
LegoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #67
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post
My thought is that Best Buy & Barnes and Noble did not want to subsidize it until the annotation feature was complete and they had proper support for the latest DRM for the bookstore. If the annotation feature is on hold until April now, I doubt we will see it before then.

Even if it does show up before April. I won't buy it until the features are working and I've seen someone review all of the features. I hope they come through on their promises, but I am not holding my breath.

Etienne66
See my previous quote. I really don't think the US delay is related to subsidizing. The pricing is pretty consistent with what Sony has done with their readers. We also don't know what the actual ship date will be for the European orders. The press release did not mention actual shipping times.

It's quite possible that the product is just coming into the pipeline and that we'll see it on bestbuy shortly.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #68
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoErgoSum View Post
it's not roughly equivalent at all. yeah it is quite common that a $399 reader would cost €399, but this time it's €499 that is €100 or about $150 more.
My mistake. I was back converting from the $601 price that shows if a US resident looks at the shopping site. With today's exchange rates 399 Euro is around $580. I thought that was close enough. I didn't realize it's actually 499 Euro.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #69
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:

BOb
The more I think about this I'm guessing this is the start of the product hitting the distribution pipeline.

If we look back at Irex's previous comments about European delivery they commented it would come in 2010 once they reached carrier agreements to enable the wireless. They now communicate that they haven't reached any agreements and have opted to release a non-wireless device that was never previously mentioned. All in a very quick fashion. It sure sounds like they may have chosen to release the same product as in the US without the wireless enabled for Europe. Same hardware with a slightly different software build without the radio functionality.

Purely speculation on my part, but it seems odd they never communicated a non-wireless device before and it all of a sudden pops out of the pipeline even before the previously announced wireless device has shipped.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #70
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Purely speculation on my part, but it seems odd they never communicated a non-wireless device before and it all of a sudden pops out of the pipeline even before the previously announced wireless device has shipped.
It's not a non-wireless device. The 3G will just be turned off. It's still the same device.

BOb
Old 01-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #71
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
It's not a non-wireless device. The 3G will just be turned off. It's still the same device.

BOb
Is this stated somewhere. They seem to imply it's a non-wireless device.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is this stated somewhere. They seem to imply it's a non-wireless device.
Re-read the opening post.

BOb
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 AM   #73
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
So now we go from dr800sg "imminent" announcement in October to a sudden announcement of a different model for a different market at an entirely different price point, which is not at all competitive, and we're not supposed to wonder what is going on with this PR disaster.
I actually find the price competitive. The Boox, 6" also with a wacom screen is €299-€399 (and I believe the €299 is a sale, as only one shop is offering this price, all others between 350 and 399) This 8" DR800 is only €100 more.

Quote:
Quote:
My mistake. I was back converting from the $601 price that shows if a US resident looks at the shopping site. With today's exchange rates 399 Euro is around $580. I thought that was close enough. I didn't realize it's actually 499 Euro.
It acutally is. When I was thinking about buying my Mini, I was thinking about the Astak ($199) or the BeBook (€199). After taking into account the import taxes, the astak was about €5 cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm assuming that the partnership between the US DR800SG and Barnes and Nobles includes some sort of subsidizing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
My understanding is that it still will be sold at Best Buy, it's just not released yet.
And I think that that Best Buy deal had the subsidizing in it. Which would have brought the price down to around $400. And it apparently was put up for pre-order at Best Buy but it has been removed...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoErgoSum View Post
Don't forget that the European price includes the Dutch VAT rate of 19%. The US price (obviously) does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 AM   #75
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There is an unwritten law that the US/Uk gets everything cheaper than mainland Europe.

These pricing schemes are ridiculous, I refuse to pay these premiums. NO, IT IS NOT JUST THE TAX.

People in Europe: order your reader from UK/US. It is silly to worry about the warrantee, these devices do not contain any moving parts, they only break if you crash them.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex