Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #61
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'll join the club on a part time basis
So, do you use the front cover only, or just the back?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #62
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Amen. I feel the same way about my iPad cover.
Indeed. I have similar covers for the Nexus 7 & 10 as well as Amazon's cover for the FireHD 8.9. Once spoiled there is no going back.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #63
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Funny timing. Lately, I have been leaving my Kindle Paperwhite at home. So I took the cover off, because I see no point using it at home. Found out how nice the grip was and how much lighter the device. Which got me thinking. So I took covers off my iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone.
Should have done it a long time ago.
Funny thing is - I had this massive Otter Case on my iPhone. Had it on since day 1. After taking it off, I noticed that my phone has little scratch marks on the sides. I don't know if it's poor cover design, or is something got stuck underneath. But the irony...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #64
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I keep covers on my three music players (Cowon, Creative, SanDisk) after I saw a nekkid one of mine shatter on the sidewalk (it had been dying so not totally tragic).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #65
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I keep covers on my three music players (Cowon, Creative, SanDisk) after I saw a nekkid one of mine shatter on the sidewalk (it had been dying so not totally tragic).
One of the things that made me cover my gadgets was a friend who kept having the most tragic accidents with his iPods. One he dropped off a bridge. Another he dropped into middle of the street. He said it was ok but then a bus ran over it before he could pick it up. Another he also dropped on the ground. Then there was one that was stolen in a mugging (ok, a cover wouldn't have helped in that situation). Still hearing about all the times his iPods were dropped made always keep a case or cover on my electronic devices.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #66
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I don't like the extra bulk of a cover, and I protect my readers using quilted pot holders as slipcases. The pot holders that Bed, Bath & Beyond carried back in March of 2009 have quilted fronts, rubberized backs and are the perfect size for a 6" reader. If I'd known they were going to be discontinued a few months later I would have bought a dozen.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #67
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I would like one, but too expensive.

Am I welcome to the group?

[alas, add me to the I don't need a Galaxy SIII]
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #68
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Soft sleeves are only going to protect against minor screen scratches. The commonest cause for screen breakage seems to be twisting of some sort, or impact, neither of which a sleeve will protect against.

I'm in the cover camp now.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #69
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Funny timing. Lately, I have been leaving my Kindle Paperwhite at home. So I took the cover off, because I see no point using it at home. Found out how nice the grip was and how much lighter the device. Which got me thinking. So I took covers off my iPad, iPad Mini, iPhone.
Should have done it a long time ago.
Funny thing is - I had this massive Otter Case on my iPhone. Had it on since day 1. After taking it off, I noticed that my phone has little scratch marks on the sides. I don't know if it's poor cover design, or is something got stuck underneath. But the irony...
I found this with my iphone3gs. I used a cover for it that fit nice and snug. But when it was in my pocket or in my bag, little pieces of grit would get in between the phone and the cover and would scratch the phone while they were in there. If I has left it naked my phone probably never would have had a scratch.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #70
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I found this with my iphone3gs. I used a cover for it that fit nice and snug. But when it was in my pocket or in my bag, little pieces of grit would get in between the phone and the cover and would scratch the phone while they were in there. If I has left it naked my phone probably never would have had a scratch.
I think Apple devices will be scruffy no matter what. I usually had a Belkin leather or Belkin rubber case on my 3rd generation iPod Touch and the back was scruffy. It looked as if there was no cover at all. But I've also seen iPhones and iPod Touch with no covers that also looked scruffy. So I guess YMMV.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #71
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
I do have a cover for my Kindle Touch, but I waited a while to buy one because I refuse to pay more than $20 for one. I finally bought an M-Edge cover on clearance at Target for $15. Luckily this was the same time that the book light designed to slip in the cover was on sale for $5. So I got a "lighted cover" for $20 total.

However, I do prefer using the device while naked, but a cover is a must for transport in my purse.
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #72
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I thought you meant for the ebook, not the reader,.lol. Some of these ereader covers cost more than my clothing for humans!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #73
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Just for the fun if it I thought I would weigh my 650 with and without cover. It came to 204g without and an even 300g with the official cover which is about as sleek and light as you can get in a cover. So it essentially increased the weight by 50%. When I get my new big Kobo Aura it will still be 60g lighter than a 650 with a cover. I toss (well not literally) in my shoulder bag when I'm not using it and it sits in there with my sunglasses case, phone, ear phones and other odds and ends. This is what my reader looks like after one year of that.
I feel kind of stupid for paying the $40 on top of the $229 the 650 cost at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366695465484.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	104827  
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #74
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
One of the things that made me cover my gadgets was a friend who kept having the most tragic accidents with his iPods. One he dropped off a bridge. Another he dropped into middle of the street. He said it was ok but then a bus ran over it before he could pick it up. Another he also dropped on the ground. Then there was one that was stolen in a mugging (ok, a cover wouldn't have helped in that situation). Still hearing about all the times his iPods were dropped made always keep a case or cover on my electronic devices.
This is a hilarious reason to use a case because even the strongest case would not have saved your friend's gadget in ANY of those situations!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #75
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm not a cover user either. I made a padded 'envelope' to keep a unit in my purse so that it wouldn't get scratched, but otherwise, no case. Even on my Itouch, the case is silicone to prevent slippage (out of hands, out of pocket, etc). Very light, you hardly know it's there.

For my Mom though, I bought her a cover for her paperwhite when they had a 50% off deal. This way, when she is interrupted (which happens often), she can just close the cover and her unit automatically goes into sleep mode to save on her battery. Otherwise, she didn't need one. She only reads at home.

I just couldn't justify the cost of covers - the cheap ones look awful and the more expensive ones are too expensive. I might end up with one though. My sister bought a pattern for me to make her a cover in kitty fabric for her kindle. With the notions, that would be $6 or $7 to make. I can do that.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote