Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: My preferred reading font is...
Amasis 16 14.41%
Avenir 6 5.41%
Delima 10 9.01%
Felbridge 6 5.41%
Georgia 30 27.03%
Gill Sans 7 6.31%
Rockwell 15 13.51%
Times New Roman 4 3.60%
Document Default 5 4.50%
Other (please specify) 27 24.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Font preferences for reading

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if you would mind filling in this poll regarding your font preferences for reading on the Kobo Touch. We're evaluating the fonts we have included on the device and wanted to see which ones people like and don't like. I have added options for the standard fonts included and another option for other. If you have sideloaded your own fonts I would appreciate it if you would add a comment to this post indicating what that font is called. Thanks!
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
I love UniFoundry's Unifont... http://unifoundry.com/unifont.html
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Gentium Book Basic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentium

Slightly bolder than others - helps readability at small size.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I do not like my fonts fat. I want my font slim and athletic, but certainly not anorexic ... and the serifs should be well-trimmed but not completely shaven. It must be amendable to close kerning but please, no spooning after the first chapter.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Although I voted (for Rockwell), I find that I change the font quite often depending on my mood, the book I'm reading and the particular conditions (lighting, seating).
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
crystal3
crystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-bookscrystal3 has learned how to read e-books

Device: KOBO Touch, Nook Color
Charis_Sil
crystal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I usually use Delima, but Georgia isn't bad either (they seem similar to me).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
I use this font (nimbusmod) with bold and bold italic taken from other Nimbus packages. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me. I love this font.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

I voted Georgia and other which is Charis_Sil. I am changing fonts quite often, but those two are my favorites.

I did use rockwell on my last finished book though.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chose Georgia, but it would be nice to have at least one unicode font included by default to support epubs with characters in asian languages.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Hi

Liberation, which I find very clear clean and easy to read and a serif font. I also think it looks good. I do not like sans serif fonts which I find more dificult to read. It is also free.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
I use this font (nimbusmod) with bold and bold italic taken from other Nimbus packages. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me. I love this font.
Hi

FIAWOL. " It is a proud and lonely thing to be a fan".

Were the bold and bold italicfrom a non commercial (i.e. free) source? If so please post the link or give information on where you got them.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
Gentium Book Basic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentium

Slightly bolder than others - helps readability at small size.
+1 on Gentium Book Basic, having tried several dozen fonts, including some high-end Adobe fonts specifically designed for publishing, Gentium kicks the crap out of everything IMHO, and it's free/opensource. Here's the link to the actual download page:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...=Gentium_basic

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
I'm using Helvetica Neue LT 65 Kindle medium and like it....
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted other. My vote is fix the current bugs and get a nice, stable release out before making anymore changes.

I'm currently using Roboto, and have also been using Arial. I'm not sure I like one font font better than the other, I sometimes pick a font because it gives me a size I like (and can't get using the Font Size slider).

Thank you for including the option to add additional fonts.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote