Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight, Calibre, Macbook pro, OSX 10.6.8
Browser and cloud storages

When I try to download from cloud storage links the web browser crash. Obviously it is too old or basic. I got the latest firmware (on a Cybook Odyssey HD Frontlight).

Does anyone know a way access pages like these?

I want to put my Calibre library on a cloud and be able to grab books when I am out strolling.

Thanks.
nlundberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
It really depends on whether the given page can be handled by the (reduced-functionality) browser of the Odyssey.

For example: are links direct? are they redirected? is there JS code? etc. Try using the "mobile" version of your storage service, if available.

[I use a local server (192.168.0.1) which serves plain links to files and the downloads go smooth.]
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
nlundberg
Connoisseur
nlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and gracenlundberg herds cats with both ease and grace

Yes, using a local server works fine when at home, like I do with Calibre.

They all seem to be optimized for "app-devices", no mobile versions exists. Most of the pages are https.

I guess I will have to hope for an update from Bookeen! Haha.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dropbox has a "mobile" website: https://www.dropbox.com/m/

(HTTPS works on my Odyssey)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
nlundberg
Connoisseur

The browser quits as soon as I enter https://www.dropbox.com/m/

I have even tried with Googles mobile service but I never thought it would work (and it didn't)

So maybe my Odyssey has gone bad?
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I am quite sure HTTPS links to EPUB files worked on my Odyssey, but I have not used them in a while.

Maybe you can try rebooting your device, just to make sure the failure is not transient.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
nlundberg
Connoisseur

Reboot looked good at first but the browser quit. Maybd I need to reformat?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

I did a quick test, making my local server feeding HTTPS pages. My Odyssey V.1 was able to download EPUB files from it. Note that the test page was a plain HTML page, with links as <a>'s, and my web server was administering the correct MIME type for EPUB.

Then I tried to download a file over HTTPS from my Wuala account, and the web page opens, but it is unusable, probably because the integrated browser cannot cope with the JS'es which infest that page. (Note: I forget to try DropBox mobile, but even that page has plenty of JQuery and the like.)

So, I guess it all boils down to the rendering capabilities of the browser, more than the HTTPS thing.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
nlundberg
Connoisseur

Thanks for trying it out. Too bad that the browser can not handle java.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
nlundberg
Connoisseur

Btw, can you see another solution for me to be able reach my books over the web? I guess one way would be to leave my home computer running as a server, but I rather not.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

The only two alternatives I can think of are finding a non-JS-riddled cloud service, or setting your own HTTPS server up.