Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #3481
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Do you live in the Yukon? I've driven through part of it several times on the way to or from Alaska.

Thanks again, for the tip on Harry Potter and the Sun Source.

By the way, if you're not familiar with the other characters that are blended into this story, take a peek at this (it's a Kindle freebie), Created, The Destroyer (The Destroyer #1) by Richard Ben Sapir, Warren Murphy.

Right now I live 5 months a year in the Yukon.

I read the Sun Source book because of the Destroyer thing. Not sure why I like them but I do. Some of them can be very funny.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #3482
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Awesome news!! Also, for those who may not know, "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" is a movie loosely based on "The Destroyer" series if you've never seen it.

Quote:

IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #3483
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Kevin Hearne deal...

Since in the past here on The Dresden Files thread there have been recommendations for and discussions about this series I thought that reporting this deal at Amazon here on this thread would be appropriate.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #3484
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Remo Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Awesome news!! Also, for those who may not know, "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" is a movie loosely based on "The Destroyer" series if you've never seen it.
Yeah, I saw it it back when it was released and subsequently bombed at the box office. Loved the cool scenes on the outside of the Statue of Liberty.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins (1985)

Last edited by alansplace; 03-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #3485
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The Dresden Files

I'm guessing the majority here (other than The Dresden Files of course) read The Iron Druid Chronicles and the Alex Verus series? Which of the two urban fantasy series do you guys recommend?

alansplace: I remember you tried the first book in the IDC but didn't like it, right?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #3486
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I'm guessing the majority here (other than The Dresden Files of course) read The Iron Druid Chronicles and the Alex Verus series? Which of the two urban fantasy series do you guys recommend?

alansplace: I remember you tried the first book in the IDC but didn't like it, right?
That's correct, I really disliked Atticus. Anyway, so i obviously wouldn't personally recommend it, though I would tell someone that it's liked by a lot of other folks who read in the Urban Fantasy genre. I do however like the Alex Verus series a lot.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #3487
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
That's correct, I really disliked Atticus. Anyway, so i obviously wouldn't personally recommend it, though I would tell someone that it's liked by a lot of other folks who read in the Urban Fantasy genre. I do however like the Alex Verus series a lot.

Good to know. Thank you for your opinion
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #3488
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

I too would for sure recommend Alex Verus. As it happens, I liked IDC, but I can see how one might like Dresden but not IDC. However, if you like Dresden then you should like Alex Verus as well.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #3489
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Since in the past here on The Dresden Files thread there have been recommendations for and discussions about this series I thought that reporting this deal at Amazon here on this thread would be appropriate.

Nice! This has been on my wishlist for a while now... Thanks for posting!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #3490
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Skin Game Release...

64 DAYS LEFT!!!
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #3491
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Shoot, it's still $8.99 in Canada . I'll keep checking, maybe a miracle will happen. Thanks for posting this, it's now on my wishlist, $8.99 is a really good price IMO.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #3492
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
Good to know. Thank you for your opinion
I'm reading the first book in the Alex Verus series now, it's really good so far. I'm only a few pages in though. It reminds me of Harry already. Even mentions a man in Chicago that advertises as a Wizard in the phone book .
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #3493
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:

I haven't read IDC, but here's another vote for Alex Verus. I loved the whole series so far.

Also, thanks to some recommendations from some of the usual suspects here (Alan and CWatkins), I discovered and just inhaled Hugh Howley's "Wool" series. Wow. If you haven't read that one yet, I'll add my own reccy!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #3494
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I haven't read IDC, but here's another vote for Alex Verus. I loved the whole series so far.

Also, thanks to some recommendations from some of the usual suspects here (Alan and CWatkins), I discovered and just inhaled Hugh Howley's "Wool" series. Wow. If you haven't read that one yet, I'll add my own reccy!
Wool is one of my all time favourites. I wish there were even more. I haven't read Sand yet but it's on my TBR, and you can use a coupon from Kobo to get up to 75% off.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #3495
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I prefer IDC to Alex Verus, but only by a small margin. The dialog between Atticus and Oberon is hilarious. I find Alex Verus to have a less mature vibe overall.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy