Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK now on sale

The SGT4N has gone live on the B&N pages. A few observations:
  1. The $179 price includes a time limited $20 discount.
  2. There's a $200 content bundle, but the 3 books and 3 apps are fixed, and the magazines available are limited.
  3. The HD/+ models are gone. Only the NGL and SGT4N show when you do a comparison.
  4. At $199, it's a tougher sell. At least one can tout the B&N features. Do Wishlist and Read In Store work?

The content bundle does nothing for me. I might do a crossword puzzle. Too bad it's not just a gift certificate for B&N content. Samsung's perks bundle for the SGT4 is more compelling, at least to me.

Are the HD/+ models finally gone for good?

My impression is that it's "not bad" for a reader, but not stunning. Best Buy and Samsung are currently running sales at about the same price. If I were shopping for a device, I'd try to buy it at B&N first, but would have no compunction about crossing the parking lot to Best Buy if B&N was out of stock.

Last edited by bobstro; 08-20-2014 at 10:47 AM.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
If I were shopping for a device, I'd try to buy it at B&N first, but would have no compunction about crossing the parking lot to Best Buy if B&N was out of stock.
Where as I would be likely to buy the one at Best Buy to avoid the B&N customized software (not that I'm a huge fan of TouchWiz either). Not that I'm in the market for either.

If interested you can find some other discussion of the device here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244058
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I hadn't realized the discussion was continuing in the News section now that it's been released.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
trashHeap
trashHeap began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
  1. At $199, it's a tougher sell. At least one can tout the B&N features. Do Wishlist and Read In Store work?
The CNET liveblog of the anouncement talked up read in store, so that bit is confirmed.
trashHeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
bobstro
Zealot

Safe to assume it can handle B&N "enhanced" content such as Conde Nast magazines? When I moved off NOOK devices, B&N lost me as a subscriber for several magazines when I realized they were incompatible with the Android NOOK app.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Anyone outside US problems buying Nook Books?

Wrong thread. Deleted.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Chiffon
Chiffon began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook
Just picked up a Galaxy Tab 4 Nook Friday and luvin' it:-) I was an owner of the Nook Color before giving it away and had been thinking of getting another Nook for some time, found out recently that Barnes and Noble had teamed up with Samsung to create a new tablet I thought "sweet" because I always wanted a Samsung tablet as well so now I have the best of both worlds and I am very happy with it, quite an upgrade from the Nook Color:-)
Chiffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
@ Chiffon - Would you do me a favor and check with your SGT4N to see if the following app on Google Play shows as compatible with the Galaxy Tab 4 Nook? It's not compatible with the Nook HD or HD+, and I was wondering if it would work with the new Nook tablet. Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.mobile&hl=en
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
bobstro
Zealot

I have returned my NGTS, but according to the Google Play Store, Optimum will install on it. The NGTS still shows in my list of active devices in GoPS. Of course, that's no guarantee it'll work, but it's a good start.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Why did you return it?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
bobstro
Zealot

I returned it because the main product differentiator, B&N's software, won't handle B&N content stored on secondary (uSD) storage. With many magazine subscriptions now weighing in at 250+ MB per issue, the meager 5 GB of available internal storage is simply too limiting. Had B&N supported using the uSD card for magazine and ebook storage -- as they did for video content on the same device -- I would gladly have kept it. I quite like the format.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
I have returned my NGTS, but according to the Google Play Store, Optimum will install on it. The NGTS still shows in my list of active devices in GoPS. Of course, that's no guarantee it'll work, but it's a good start.
Thanks for checking that out for me!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Oh crap, I just realized that the Nook Galaxy Tab doesn't have more storage options beyond 8GB. For a multimedia tablet, that just isn't enough. Not even close.

On my 16GB Kindle Fire HDX (which has about 11.4GB of usable space from the factory) I regularly use in the 3-6GB of space on it, and I don't keep much on my Kindle Fire (I let most things live in the Amazon Cloud when I am finished with it).

This is crazy.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
bobstro
Zealot

8 GB can be OK if you can put your big media files on a uSD card. Oddly enough, B&N's own NOOK-branded (sorta) Samsung won't let you do this from their own apps. If you subscribe to a few magazines that run 250+ MB per issue, that space goes quickly, even before you load apps. Of course, with most non-B&N readers, it's fine. It makes no sense.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
8 GB can be OK if you can put your big media files on a uSD card. Oddly enough, B&N's own NOOK-branded (sorta) Samsung won't let you do this from their own apps. If you subscribe to a few magazines that run 250+ MB per issue, that space goes quickly, even before you load apps. Of course, with most non-B&N readers, it's fine. It makes no sense.
No, I've always found working with SD cards (for extra storage) to be a TERRIBLE experience on Android. The "if" about maneuvering your files around (and the data used in apps) is too much of an if. It is wildly preferable to simply get a device with ample storage built in to it.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote