Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #18451
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Inferno by Dan Brown. Rather to my surprise, I really enjoyed this. An enormous improvement over his previous book "The Lost Symbol". A rollercoaster ride of a thriller set in Italy, and (as the title suggest) having as its central theme the epic poem "Inferno" by Dante Alighieri. Highly recommended.
I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed Inferno when I read it this month. Very well done and the most suspenseful book I've read in a long time.

Finishing out the year with Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Although I'm not far enough into it to issue any recommendations, the writing quality is excellent.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #18452
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie last night, and liked it a lot. Highly recommended to anyone who likes a bit of Space Opera.

I also fit in a few short stories by Saladin Ahmed and one by Zen Cho, to Brin my total for the year to 75 works read. In reality, probably about the same as last year, when I wasn't counting shorts.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #18453
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I think that next year I'll tackle my first Dan Brown. I've been feeling like I might want to read a good (i.e. fast-paced, thrilling, not necessarily "brilliantly written or exquisitely plotted") thriller in the not too far future for some time now, and I've snagged Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code and Inferno all when they've been on sale for very low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I like the concept, if only as a feedback mechanism to one's own buying habits. (Which are, in my case, deplorable!) The catch is, I don't currently keep track of the source of where I got my books and how much I spent on them. True, it's somewhat easy, in that >90% of them are from either Baen or Amazon. And the Baen books (except for eARCs) will never be "the most expensive", even with the new pricing structure. But some books I get from Kobo, and some others from the Library. And I really don't know which are which.

Realistically, I don't see myself changing to be that organized about tracking my books. Just not going to happen.
Yeah, it's definitely something that needs some ... diligence! When I decided to start keeping the spreadsheet (1 January 2012), I made the deliberate decision to not even attempt to include any previous purchases - which means that it's nowhere near a complete list, but it's a lot better than nothing!

It does take some getting used to remembering to enter each bought book into the spreadsheet right away / same day at the latest, especially for Kobo / other non-Amazon purchases; with Amazon, I sometimes even let a week pass by because it's easy enough to copy & paste the data from Manage My Kindle.

I find it really helpful now, in any case - both because this way I can check quickly if I've already bought the book at some point in the last two years and because it does help me curb my spending somewhat. Checking the sum of the price column last year was.... enlightening (and scary).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #18454
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished a very enjoyable re-read of Cat by Theodore Isaac Rubin. I originally read it 40 years ago when it was still fairly new and enjoyed it then as well, but as the book is pretty obscure, out-of-print, sonewhat hard to find, and not available as an ebook; apparently my enthusiasm for the work is not widely shared.

The novel is about a man in a severe catatonic state, and it details his gradual progress from being completely disassociated from the world and unresponsive to his surroundings to the book's final page, where the individual takes his first tentative steps toward re-engagement with other human beings and the world around him. It was the following passage from the book's opening that drew me in:

Spoiler:
His arms went on doing their work. Since they were no longer part of him, he wasn't tired. They could go on and on holding up his hands. He thought, my hands my hands—the hands, the fingers. The arms, hands, fingers—they weren't his—not anymore. They just were, by themselves—and they did the job. The fingers pressed against his closed eyelids. The eyes were still his. The fingers held them in. He had a pact with the fingers. They promised him not to let his eyes fall out.

His arm was touched. He screamed—he didn't want to lose his eyeballs. He heard the voices. He heard CAT—the word cat. Then, what seemed a while afterward, he heard TONIC—the word tonic. He thought, cat tonic—cat tonic. Then he thought, health tonic. Then a voice said catotonic—putting an O between the words and putting the words together into one word. But it didn't make sense. Then it made sense. Cat O'Tonic, an Irish name—but he wasn't Irish. And his first name wasn't Cat. He kept hearing the voices. He heard the word EXCITEMENT. Another voice put the name and the new word together. He heard—Cat O'Tonic excitement. Then he heard a voice screaming, and it screamed louder and louder. Now he heard the words—''I can't see, see, see, see, see, see. I can't see.'' He heard another voice say, "If he is so frantic about seeing, why doesn't he take his hands away from his eyes?" "Would it matter if he did?" said another voice.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-30-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Not 3rd person. Big opps!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #18455
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just finished a very enjoyable re-read of Cat by Theodore Isaac Rubin. I originally read it 40 years ago when it was still fairly new and enjoyed it then as well, but as the book is pretty obscure, out-of-print, sonewhat hard to find, and not available as an ebook; apparently my enthusiasm for the work is not widely shared.

The novel is written from the first person viewpoint of a man in a severe catatonic state, and it details his gradual progress from being completely disassociated from the world and unresponsive to his surroundings to the book's final page, where the individual takes his first tentative steps toward re-engagement with other human beings and the world around him. It was the following passage from the book's opening that drew me in:

Spoiler:
His arms went on doing their work. Since they were no longer part of him, he wasn't tired. They could go on and on holding up his hands. He thought, my hands my hands—the hands, the fingers. The arms, hands, fingers—they weren't his—not anymore. They just were, by themselves—and they did the job. The fingers pressed against his closed eyelids. The eyes were still his. The fingers held them in. He had a pact with the fingers. They promised him not to let his eyes fall out.

His arm was touched. He screamed—he didn't want to lose his eyeballs. He heard the voices. He heard CAT—the word cat. Then, what seemed a while afterward, he heard TONIC—the word tonic. He thought, cat tonic—cat tonic. Then he thought, health tonic. Then a voice said catotonic—putting an O between the words and putting the words together into one word. But it didn't make sense. Then it made sense. Cat O'Tonic, an Irish name—but he wasn't Irish. And his first name wasn't Cat. He kept hearing the voices. He heard the word EXCITEMENT. Another voice put the name and the new word together. He heard—Cat O'Tonic excitement. Then he heard a voice screaming, and it screamed louder and louder. Now he heard the words—''I can't see, see, see, see, see, see. I can't see.'' He heard another voice say, "If he is so frantic about seeing, why doesn't he take his hands away from his eyes?" "Would it matter if he did?" said another voice.
That is a grabber all right. reminds me of a bizarre incident in my life.

The mind is an amazing thing.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #18456
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
For the last book of 2013, I chose Légion by David Forrest. For once, this is a French book and the action takes place in a city 5 minutes from where I live.

Edit: I forgot to add that I'm 72% in and it's quite nice even though I'm usually not into satanic cult members stories.
I finished it just after lunch. I liked the fact that it took place in Nantes and also that Gilles de Rais also known as Barbe Bleue was an important part of the book. When I was a child my parents were always pointing to an old ruin on our way to my grand-mother's saying "that's were Barbe Bleue used to live" (even though Barbe Bleue is a fictional character, but Gilles de Rais was a real serial killer).

Now I'm pondering whether to start another book or go through all the unread pocket articles
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #18457
Pistolero
Gunslinger
Pistolero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Just started reading 'Perdido Street Station' by China Mieville yesterday and encountered a lot of unfamiliar, archaic words. Looking forward to continue later...
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #18458
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Do you perhaps mean the book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I don't believe James Patterson has written a book with that title.
The Ice Limit by Preston & Child is my second favorite book by them. First is Riptide.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #18459
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I really enjoyed reading Blood and Circuses, it was as usual, This morning I've just begun a re-read of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone which I've been putting of way too long now.
Quote:
Earthly Delights just wasn't interesting me very much and since I was in the middle of a complete re-read of all the Nancy Drew mysteries and took a break from it back in July, I've decided to start it again where I left off, so I'm now reading The Witch Tree Symbol (Nancy Drew #33) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams).
Quote:
Hmmm...I don't seem to be in the mood for reading anything!!
Quote:
Ha! Found something that grabbed my interest! Dangerous Women, Edited by George R.R. Martin & Gardner Dozois. I had only read the Jim Butcher story, BOMBSHELLS and then put the rest aside for later. Well now seems to be later enough! It begins with a story by Joe Abercrombie, who I've never before read and I was immediately taken up with it and am enjoying it a lot!
Quote:
I either read or skipped (after starting a story and finding it uninteresting to me) up to BOMBSHELLS in Dangerous Women, then took a break and started reading another Amazon freebie I just got called Illumine (Illumine #1) by Alivia Anders.

I believe I'll read or skip another couple of the Dangerous Women stories, then maybe take another break for another more substantial read and repeat this pattern till I've finally finished reading Dangerous Women.
Quote:
Wow, Illumine was an unusual indie. As I said it was a freebie from Amazon and I really enjoyed the story as well as the characters. But it was written as if a seventh grader was the author and she spoke English not as a native of the USA, but as if she was from another country and English was a second language that she'd not quite mastered. Also necessary words were left out of sentences as well as incorrect cases being used. Also it apparently had never been edited by a competent book publication editor. But I enjoyed it in spite of all that.

Now back to Dangerous Women!
Got to the half-way point in Dangerous Women and decided to take a Harry Potter break and re-read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #18460
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'm closing out 2013 by re-reading Machiavelli's The Prince, since this year is the 500th anniversary.

One of my resolutions for 2014 is to read his Discourses On Livy.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #18461
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I was also surprised by how much I enjoyed Inferno when I read it this month. Very well done and the most suspenseful book I've read in a long time.

Finishing out the year with Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. Although I'm not far enough into it to issue any recommendations, the writing quality is excellent.
I have been toying with the idea of reading Inferno, as my wife is currently enjoying it a lot. I stopped reading Dan Brown after The Da Vinci Code but the favourable reviews here have made me rethink my mini-boycott. Does anyone think I would be missing much if I skipped The Lost Symbol and went straight to Inferno?

I really enjoyed Life After Life, BelleZora - hope you do too.

I have just started 1632 by Harry Flint after recommendations a while back from pdurrant and/or HarryT. Intriguing so far.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #18462
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Do you perhaps mean the book by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child? I don't believe James Patterson has written a book with that title.
Thanks, you're quite right! For some reason I seem to frequently confuse these folks... It's happened several times before, and it's odd as they write such different realms. I usually like what they create.

Once I start enjoying a book, I don't pay much attention to who the author is. Actually, I don't pay much attention to who is the author, publisher, where I got it, or how much I paid for it. And reading on my e-reader I don't really notice the cover so am not getting constant reminders of even the title! I just know if I'm enjoying it or not, and if not, stop reading it and go for the next one.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #18463
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
..... Does anyone think I would be missing much if I skipped The Lost Symbol and went straight to Inferno?
Why do you wish to skip it? It wasn't a boring read. Not a prize winner, but interesting. And if even half the 'information' is accurate, a good learning experience.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #18464
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Does anyone think I would be missing much if I skipped The Lost Symbol and went straight to Inferno?

I really enjoyed Life After Life, BelleZora - hope you do too.
I skipped The Lost Symbol and went straight to Inferno. I'm usually a stickler for reading series in order, but it didn't detract from Inferno to skip to it. Judging by reviews, it is the better book.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #18465
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I a reading (mostly re-reading) all the Dortmunder books by Donald E. Westlake. For people liking very funny caper books these books are much recommended. Now on book number 9 "What's The Worst That Could Happen". The first book in the series is "The Hot Rock".
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote