Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Corkobo, have you read and do you like Mary Renault? She writes about the time/place you seem to favor. Sadly I don't think they are available in ebook.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #47
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
elemenoP,

I have read only one book, "The Last of the Wine".

I liked it a lot even though the tone and the "spirit" of the story are a bit more sad, more melancholy than what I usually enjoy (I don't know the right words to express this, I guess I would call her book thoughtful and pensive).
Then again, the main events of the time the book is set in are not conducive to heroic optimism.

Thank you for reminding me of this, I will look for her other other books now.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #48
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd recommend Raptor by Gary Jennings and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.
Can't think of others just now but when I do I'll post

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for good historical fiction?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #49
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me tim View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for good historical fiction? I don't have a whole lot of exposure to the genre, but I'd like to try some more. I've read a lot of Bernard Cornwell's stuff, and enjoyed most of it. I really liked his Warlord Chronicles, which admittedly is a mixture of fantasy and history. I also enjoyed the Saxon Stories, but his writing has gotten rather stale on me. It all seems a bit formulaic now--he fleshes out the era in his books well, but it's like each book is the same story with the same characters, just in a different time period.

I've also read a little bit of Patrick O'Brien, which in the long run I enjoyed, but had to will myself forward in a lot of the places in the few books I read.

Any recommendations? I'm not affixed to any particular time period, I just like the feeling of history coming alive and being immersed in the story.
joe r lansdale has some pretty good depression era books from east texas area... try edge of dark water, the bottoms and all the earth thrown to the sky
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #50
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm currently reading Sharon Kay Penman's 'When Christ and the Saints Slept'. Follows the tumultuous times of life in England after Henry I with Stephen and Maude fighting over the throne. A pretty good read. There are more in the series after this one that I'll be exploring.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I'm currently reading Sharon Kay Penman's 'When Christ and the Saints Slept'. Follows the tumultuous times of life in England after Henry I with Stephen and Maude fighting over the throne. A pretty good read. There are more in the series after this one that I'll be exploring.
This is the same time period that Ellis Peters's "Brother Cadfael" mysteries are set in, which are also well worth reading. Unfortunately they don't appear to be legally available as eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #52
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
http://www.gileskristian.com/books/raven-blood-eye/
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #53
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Thank you. I am getting this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #54
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Thank you. I am getting this.
Apache
You're welcome!
It's a Viking adventure trilogy. I have Blood Eye (first book in the Raven trilogy) in paperback which I've read about a year ago. It's more of a historical action adventure series. I really enjoyed it. The books starts off slow but don't be discouraged by that when you start reading, because the story gets really good after a couple of chapters. It contains explicit violence but despite that a real page turner.

I'll be getting Sons of Thunder (book two) soon
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #55
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Irving Stone wrote several biographical novels like Lust for Life, about Vincent van Gogh, and The Agony and the Ecstasy, about Michelangelo. Hopefully ebook versions will be published.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #56
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnook View Post
I'll echo the recommendation for Dorothy Dunnett. I've enjoyed her Lymond Chronicles so much that I'm reading the series for the third time.
Thanks for this recommendation (to both of you). I have recently finished the first installment and liked it very much (after I got into it). The complexity of the story reminded me of Dumas a little bit. The tone is completely different, there are some really funny scenes in there, too.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #57
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Another good historical fiction series I've read is Noah Gordon's The Physician. Follows up with Shaman. I haven't read the third in the series yet, but the first two were very good.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #58
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Nobody mentioned Henryk Sienkiewicz with The Trilogy.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
Nobody mentioned Henryk Sienkiewicz
I suspect that nobody else can spell his name .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #60
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Another vote for Ken Follett. Pillars of the Earth is one of my all time favorite books, although the sequel World Without End didn't do as much for me.

Currently reading and enjoying very much, his Fall of Giants, which tells about the life prior and during world war one. Plenty of historical talk while still being a fictional story. I believe he had 8 historians to check out facts on the book before it was released - I for one am learning tons about the WWI time period which I almost didn't know anything about before!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote