Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
spitecho
spitecho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT Black
Blindly remove hacks K4B

Is there a way to remove files from the OS partition of the Kindle Black without using the screen? I jailbroke it, applied the screensaver hack manually via ssh, then uninstalled the jailbreak.

Today the screen broke, and only about an inch is visible at the top. It makes reinstalling the jailbreak and undoing the hacks pretty difficult. I'm worried if I can't undo it, it will void the warranty. Is there any way to remove the hack through the USB connection or wifi?
spitecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes.

If only the screensave hack is installed, we have a write-up indexed on how to remove it using the command line (such as you have over ssh).

Removing the ssh hack is a bit more difficult.

If you have problems, I would say don't worry about it, we haven't heard of anyone having their warranty exchange refused for making changes in the file system (at least not that I have seen on this forum).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
spitecho

Ahhh, okay, thanks.

If it does happen to me, I'll be sure to let the forum know.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitecho View Post
Is there a way to remove files from the OS partition of the Kindle Black without using the screen? I jailbroke it, applied the screensaver hack manually via ssh, then uninstalled the jailbreak.
Today the screen broke, and only about an inch is visible at the top. It makes reinstalling the jailbreak and undoing the hacks pretty difficult. I'm worried if I can't undo it, it will void the warranty. Is there any way to remove the hack through the USB connection or wifi?
I shipped my first K3 back totally modified and they didnt say anything.

If you really wanted to be safe though, you could drop the usbnet uninstaller on the drive, and try and remember how to get to the update your kindle screen sucessfully... Might be tricky though...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
spitecho

When I called them, they said the warranty doesn't cover damage to the screen caused by pressure (I sat on it ), and I'm only eligible for a $4 discount on another one, so I won't be sending it back. Got worried over the hacks for nothing!

They must have changed the warranty policy for the newer models, since I was able to get a replacement for my last one that was damaged in a similar mishap.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
is there some other way to cause damage to the screen other than pressure?

Lightning and falling asleep in the bath withstanding?

$4 big wow. thanks.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitecho View Post
You've already voided the warranty. You voided it as soon as you modified the firmware.

From the Amazon licence agreement:

Quote:
You may not, and you will not encourage, assist or authorize any other person to copy, modify, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble, or otherwise tamper with, the Amazon Software, whether in whole or in part...
And, if you do "modify", etc, the result is that:

Quote:
Your rights to use the Amazon Software will automatically terminate without notice from us if you fail to comply with any of these Software Terms, the Conditions of Use or any other Service Terms.
ie by modifying the firmware you have voided your right to use the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@HarryT: At least in the USA, additions made to the set of installed software is not "modification" of the original "Amazon Software".

Also, Linux (*nix in general) is controlled and configured by plain text files (unlike the use of binary files by some systems), and those files are "data" not "software".
In the USA, different rules apply to "the associated data" that are not covered in the agreement.

Still, the **intent** of the Amazon agreement is clear, even though the lawyer who wrote it left some pretty big "holes" in its language.

Somewhere in that agreement there is probably a catch-all phrase about "mis-use" - which is defined as anything you can get a judge or court to agree on.

Last edited by knc1; 10-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The semantics of mis-use are less important to the OP than getting a working device.

But you are both of course correct. This does probably, in IN ALL PROBABILITY constitute a warranty fail.

Still, bit tough on the OP about the end result so for my part: I am sorry for your loss.
Tough break.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Sit on one of them and maybe Amazon will be kind to you.
Sit on the second one, and Amazon might even take you off their mailing list.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
twobob

lol.

Yep, Harry and yourself made a fair point.
Just feels harsh.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
lol.

Yep, Harry and yourself made a fair point.
Just feels harsh.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - I've never heard of Amazon refusing a warranty replacement on a hacked Kindle. Perhaps as well to bear in mind, though, that they'd be within their rights to do so .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
twobob

Thanks Harry. Informed and fair.