Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Neelly
Neelly began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Converting Formats

As this is my first post please be gentle.

We have a Sony 600 and one of the authors my wife likes, Stuart Macbride has a series of 6 thrillers. She bought the first one, liked it and looked to buy the rest but Waterstones have Nos 1, 4,5, & 6 available as ebooks but no 2 & 3, how smart is that.
So to my question, Amazon have the missing volumes so if I buy these as Kindles how easy is it to convert them to epub files to read on the Sony

Thanks

Neil
Neelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelly View Post

We have a Sony 600 and one of the authors my wife likes, Stuart Macbride has a series of 6 thrillers. She bought the first one, liked it and looked to buy the rest but Waterstones have Nos 1, 4,5, & 6 available as ebooks but no 2 & 3, how smart is that.
So to my question, Amazon have the missing volumes so if I buy these as Kindles how easy is it to convert them to epub files to read on the Sony

Thanks

Neil
Very easy. Download them to "Kindle for PC". Do a Google search for "skindle" - that's a tool that will remove the DRM for you. Then use Calibre to convert to ePub format for your Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Neelly
Neelly began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Cheers, I knew someone would come up with the goods.

Neil
Neelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelly View Post

Thanks

Neil
All of Stuart Macbride's ebooks are available in ePub format at WHSmith for 50% off.

Cold Granite (2005)
Dying Light (2006)
Broken Skin (2007)
Flesh House (2008)
Blind Eye (2009)
Dark Blood (2010
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very easy. Download them to "Kindle for PC". Do a Google search for "skindle" - that's a tool that will remove the DRM for you. Then use Calibre to convert to ePub format for your Sony.
Does skindle work with the new "Kindle for PC" ?
The last time i tried to de-DRM it ends with skindle not supporting the last "Kindle for PC" version. Unfortunately i already deleted the old version.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
The older versions of Kindle for PC are still out there. Just Google for Kindle for PC (or K4PC) Beta.

It'll work; just turn off the auto updates on it, once you install it, so it won't "upgrade" to the more current version...

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Great

While searching for K4PC i found a blog with "tools.zip" which contains the latest scripts. They've been updated to deal with the actual version of K4PC. So there's no need to install the old version. Worked like a charm
Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
SkyDream - please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Great

While searching for K4PC i found a blog with "tools.zip" which contains the latest scripts. They've been updated to deal with the actual version of K4PC. So there's no need to install the old version. Worked like a charm
That's great news - I bought a sought after book from amazon a few weeks ago and found that as KP4C was the latest version I couldn't transfer to my Sony via calibre. If you have found the means please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Quote:
but no 2 & 3, how smart is that
Grr. I've had this issue with Waterstones before. Email them. When you get a daft reply telling you to instal ADE, email them again very grumily and insist on a manger.

Also worth emailing the publisher as it isn't Waterstones' fault - but W is easier to find contact details for.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
That's great news - I bought a sought after book from amazon a few weeks ago and found that as KP4C was the latest version I couldn't transfer to my Sony via calibre. If you have found the means please point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

PeteS
Sorry, been on vacation.

Check out this blog. Search the comments (link at the bottom) for "tools_v1.9.zip". Really nice zip-file !!!
Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
SkyDream,

Thanks for getting back to me, hope you had a good vacation.

Have downloaded and it works great !!

Thanks again,

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote