Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #16
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Hey, thanks for all the answers. I'm wondering what color of light the led gives off? Is it a cool white or a warm light?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
Please let me know if this isn't the right forum.

Got a Kindle 3 review unit from Amazon and was able to get a lot of good comparison photos - http://ireaderreview.com/kindle-3-la...arison-photos/

It includes Kindle 3 vs Kindle 2, Sony Touch Edition, Nook, Kindle 2 US, iPad, Kindle DX 2, and Kindle DX.

Also Kindle 3 Review Videos - http://ireaderreview.com/kindle-2-vi...ideos-daytime/

The posts link to other post with more photos including photos of the new features like the WebKit Browser.

Let me know if you have any Kindle 3 related questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Abhi
Your review compilation is all anyone needs to read. Just great--the idea, the effort to do it, the quickness in getting it posted, the easy-to-read format, your viewpoints when you detect an oddity in the sum of the reviews. Thanks much.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I gotta say this picture of the K2US, K2i and K3 blow my mind. I have a K2US and have read that the K2i had better contrast...which it really does. I'm even more excited about my K3 order.

Thanks for the comparisons!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I gotta say this picture of the K2US, K2i and K3 blow my mind. I have a K2US and have read that the K2i had better contrast...which it really does. I'm even more excited about my K3 order.

Thanks for the comparisons!
I'm pretty surprised at the marked difference between the K2US and K2i in terms of contrast.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
samjohnno
samjohnno began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
That clears things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReaderReview View Post
Thinkpadx,
Kindle DX 2 doesn't have this article mode feature yet. It also doesn't have the new webkit browser.
It's likely it'll get them sometime soon - however, Amazon hasn't said anything.

samjohno,
thanks for the kind words. It was a struggle with the photos since don't have any photography skills.

The light is definitely a tiny bit flexible. Haven't tried to adjust it a lot. That being said the top corner does get more illumination than the opposite corner. Didn't find any way to evenly or better distribute light.

Basically, the extension is plastic and flexible - it moves around fine but then it doesn't stay that way. It does shift a little bit - but wouldn't call it flexible or expect it to be flexible. If you rest it on the side then you can change how the light is distributed (by using the weight of the Kindle to keep the plastic stem curved).

Ahh i c.I don't expect the distribution to be a major issue when reading, i'll probably not worry about, as long as the whole page is readable (by hearing in previous posts that you've used it for a couple of nights sounds like it does)

Thanks for the swift reply, definitely keeping my kindle + light cover order!!
samjohnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 901hw View Post
hi thank you so much for your answers already
I mean when I want to lie the Kindle on its right side in the cover if the light can still be used? I dont want to have to hold the kindle up just for the light. I usually read books by leaning them onto their side in bed. Thanks
You can change the screen orientation, so you have some flexibility about which 'side' the light is on.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #22
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Great review. Thanks so much!
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Any chance you've tried it out using the Google Reader Mobile site? Specifically, when viewing mobile sites, does it auto-zoom and highlight the first link, or do you have to choose an area to zoom.

Thanks,
B.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have to say that after looking at a couple of videos and pictures comparing the K2i with the K3 the difference in contrast is very far from obvious. In some images there may be a slight advantage to the K3, but I frankly doubt I'd be able to tell them apart without knowing which is which. In the image posted above, for example, the superiority of the K2i over the K2US is pretty clear, but the K2i and the K3 look almost identical.

I'm hoping this is just the result of poor photography, but I'm starting to get a sneaking suspicion that the Emperor's put on some New Clothes. When I looked at the videos posted over on ireaderreview I couldn't help shaking my head every time he came out with stuff like 'it's obvious that the contrast on the Kindle 3 is noticeably better". The video certainly wasn't helped by the fact that the two were using different fonts and he spent a lot of the time waving them around in and out of focus.

Does anyone know of a site with a proper comparison of screen contrast under good lighting conditions? I'm sure the Pearl screen is better, but I'm having difficulty finding examples that demonstrate this without a lot of suggestion.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #25
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
I don't see much evidence of the improved screen either. Based on those photos/videos, that is.

There are plenty on here though that have compared the new KDX with older Kindles and the consensus appear to be that the new pearl screen is, indeed, a marked improvement. I see no reason to disbelieve them.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
samjohnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nielsen View Post
I don't see much evidence of the improved screen either. Based on those photos/videos, that is.

There are plenty on here though that have compared the new KDX with older Kindles and the consensus appear to be that the new pearl screen is, indeed, a marked improvement. I see no reason to disbelieve them.
I concur. I think its just due to the camera quality. There's a good video on youtube that you can watch in 720p comparing the two and the screen does appear to have significantly better contrast, in particular the 'blackness' of the font seems significantly improved.

you can find the link here.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #27
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by samjohnno View Post
I concur. I think its just due to the camera quality. There's a good video on youtube that you can watch in 720p comparing the two and the screen does appear to have significantly better contrast, in particular the 'blackness' of the font seems significantly improved.

you can find the link here.
That video (filmed on an iPhone ... ) is a bit better. The black of the text seems a little punchier, but again I can't see any real difference in the lightness of the background. Overall it looks like there's an incremental improvement, but not as big as with the introduction of the Vizplex screen.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:21 AM   #28
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
There is a huge difference between the screen, but pictures really don't show it. YOu just have to see it in person.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #29
samjohnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
There is a huge difference between the screen, but pictures really don't show it. YOu just have to see it in person.
Yeah I guess it's one of those things. Gotta see it in the flesh (or plastic...)
Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
You mean a huge difference between the K3 and the 2Int?
In that case, the K3 must completely destroy the Kindle2US..because I already see a huge difference between the 2US and 2Int in that shot. Looking forward to seeing the K3 now.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote