Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #91
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I have a folder called "Ebook Dump", into which I put all freebees and public domain books. If I want to read one, because I see it mentioned for example, I find the best version, fix that up for my library, and then delete the rest of them.
I do the same thing. I would recommend, if these are versions that you have not loaded into Calibre, to sort them by genre. I have 7 folders - tobesorted, scifi, fantasy, paranormal, crime/thriller, mystery and nonfiction. Keeps your computer from becoming awash with 3 dozen folders that say ebook in some form or other (to prevent duplication). Then, when you have a day like me, waiting for 3 phone calls, you can sort for an hour or two.

Finally, has anybody ever known of any book that is available at Guttenberg becoming unavailable? I haven't. I don't store stuff that is on Guttenberg since I can download it at any time. If I'm inspired to download a couple of interesting titles, they go right into Calibre.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-06-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #92
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Gutenberg books are crap.

Sorry to say so, but they are full of mistakes and they have bad or no l layout . I highly prefer the Delphi Classics ($3 per author, often illustrated, occasional mistake). Of the free books, I think Feedbooks has the best ones.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #93
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Sorry to say so, but they are full of mistakes and they have bad or no l layout .
I disagree, but our selections probably differ.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-06-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #94
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

Sorry to say so, but they are full of mistakes and they have bad or no l layout . I highly prefer the Delphi Classics ($3 per author, often illustrated, occasional mistake). Of the free books, I think Feedbooks has the best ones.
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Project Gutenberg books that were created in the last five years or so, especially ones that were created by Distributed Proofreaders? Most of the early PG books were created by individuals with no real standards, sometimes from multiple editions of books, and the DP folks have really tried to do a better job of it. I agree that they don't always achieve it. It's also unfortunate that the PG webmeister seems to have opinions contrary to that of most of the volunteers.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #95
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you looked at Project Gutenberg books that were created in the last five years or so, especially ones that were created by Distributed Proofreaders? Most of the early PG books were created by individuals with no real standards, sometimes from multiple editions of books, and the DP folks have really tried to do a better job of it.
I don't know. I have looked at a few Dutch classics I want to try to reread (and hope I don't quit in disgust again), and they're all bad. I've also looked up some English ones there, but they were bad also, like having the entire book in one file, no TOC, and so on. Basically, a TXT-file wrapped in an EPUB. Then I'd rather pay $1 for a good version.

Quote:
It's also unfortunate that the PG webmeister seems to have opinions contrary to that of most of the volunteers.
How so?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #96
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I'm thinking a large TBR is not a bad thing. I have about 100 (paid) books on my TBR. Whenever I am ready for a new book, I select the most interesting book of those 100 books. Sometimes it's fiction, sometimes it's science fiction. I am always choosing the best book for me now.

If i only read one book at a time, I would always have to read the next book, regardless of wither I found it interesting or not. By choosing from a TBR I am always choosing the most interesting next book.
It's interesting how perspectives differ. I typically buy (or borrow from the library) only a couple of books at a time. I figure, by choosing from everything available at the library or bookstore, I can always choose the most interesting next book
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #97
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I agree, Guteberg are not the best quality. For the public domain books, I go to Feedbooks as well, or Manybooks.net.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #98
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I agree, Guteberg are not the best quality. For the public domain books, I go to Feedbooks as well, or Manybooks.net.
There is also - ahem! - right here at MR. We have some pretty well-formatted books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 AM   #99
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is also - ahem! - right here at MR. We have some pretty well-formatted books.
Right! How could I forget?? I will have to take a look at what there is here.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #100
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
It's interesting how perspectives differ. I typically buy (or borrow from the library) only a couple of books at a time. I figure, by choosing from everything available at the library or bookstore, I can always choose the most interesting next book
Assuming it is available at the library, of course.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #101
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Maybe I'm also in a minority here ... yes, I do have a long TBR list, but I only buy books to read them when I do have the time.

So, there are very few (< 10) unread books either on my bookshelf or on my e-reader, but there are lots that wait to be paid for and downloaded once I have the time to read them...

Best regards,
Andy
Buying only when you want to read a book makes sense when purchasing them for cash. BUT... I just reviewed the purchases for the last six months on my amazon account. I was VERY surprised when I saw how many of the books I paid 0.00 for were available now at prices from 0.99 to 5.99.

I for one go on "free or almost free" binges every month or so and will be even more likely to do it more often after viewing how much real money I'm saving.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #102
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Buying only when you want to read a book makes sense when purchasing them for cash. BUT... I just reviewed the purchases for the last six months on my amazon account. I was VERY surprised when I saw how many of the books I paid 0.00 for were available now at prices from 0.99 to 5.99.

I for one go on "free or almost free" binges every month or so and will be even more likely to do it more often after viewing how much real money I'm saving.
You are only saving money if you actually read the books, though...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #103
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I used to have a friend who would walk through a store, see something marked down, and immediately want it, saying "this is a great deal!" I kept having to point out over and over, it's not a great deal for you if you don't actually need the product.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #104
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
True. But what I have found is that a lot of the free novellas that later seem to go up in price have become prequels to series by new authors.

I find I can't resist collecting books... thank goodness all it requires are a couple of usb drives for the space and backup space lol.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #105
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
I have 2 tbr piles. 1) purchased books and have 90 to read on there and 2) freebies. There are 630 in this folder and I downloaded far top many and now weed out the rubbish as I go along.

As long as I get round to reading purchased books eventually I will be happy lol. I worry that if i cincentrate on my paid tbr what will I read in my freebies if i run out. Maybe I should stop worrying and read more
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote