Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Tisha4870
Tisha4870 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5S, iPad Air
Embedded Font not displaying in iBook

So I embedded the font Calibri into the Fonts folder and used the @font-face coding in the stylesheet for all the variations of Calibri but when I apply the font-family style to all text tags (p, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5), save the file and open it in iBooks, the only tags that are pulling Calibri are the h1, h2, etc and any <em> tags. Any ideas what I can do to get it to work across all text tags?
Tisha4870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You have the additional file iBooks need to display embedded font? If not, use the search option. It comes up frequently.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
Tisha4870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You have the additional file iBooks need to display embedded font? If not, use the search option. It comes up frequently.
The .com.apple... blah blah.xml file? Yes I have that one and the only thing it succeeded in doing is setting the font style in iBooks to Seravek which is awful to try and read.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha4870 View Post
Any ideas what I can do to get it to work across all text tags?
Apply the font-family to the body tag?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Apply the font-family to the body tag?
Tisha:

Did you embed all the faces? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but; also, when you created the CSS, is it possible that you capitalized or didn't capitalize something? While some readers are very forgiving of errors in typing, some aren't.

We likely can't help a lot more without seeing your stylesheet, I suspect.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Tisha4870

@Diap - Yup, I tried it in the body as well as inline styling on the <p> tags

@Hitch - All the fonts are embedded and @font-face styling applied (see below) and I've tried it with the font name capitalized and lowercase and added !important tags

@font-face {
font-family:Calibri;
font-weight:normal;
font-style:normal;
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri.ttf');
}
@font-face {
font-style:italic;
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Italic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
font-weight:bold;
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Bold.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Bold Italic.ttf');
}
p, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 {
font-family:Calibri, sans-serif !important;
}
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@Diap - Yup, I tried it in the body as well as inline styling on the <p> tags

@Hitch - All the fonts are embedded and @font-face styling applied (see below) and I've tried it with the font name capitalized and lowercase and added !important tags

@font-face {
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Italic.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Bold.ttf');
}
@font-face {
src:url('../Fonts/Calibri Bold Italic.ttf');
}
p, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 {
font-family:Calibri, sans-serif !important;
}
Do the file names in the fonts section look exactly the same, in cluding capitals?
Note: spaces in filenames are not a good idea. Calibri_Bold_Italic.ttf is better if you want to maintain the appearance of words
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do the file names in the fonts section look exactly the same, in cluding capitals?
Note: spaces in filenames are not a good idea. Calibri_Bold_Italic.ttf is better if you want to maintain the appearance of words
Well, I'm no expert, but I always thought that fontnames with spaces were OK if quoted, but I've always used DOUBLE quotes (") though I can't imagine that would make a difference.

Just a suggestion.

Albert the clueless.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Well, I'm no expert, but I always thought that fontnames with spaces were OK if quoted, but I've always used DOUBLE quotes (") though I can't imagine that would make a difference.

Just a suggestion.

Albert the clueless.
The spaces in the FILENAME don't always parse the same on devices.
My rule: If it can cause problems... Avoid that practice.

BTW You can have spaces in the Font-family name if you enclose those in quotes
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
Tisha4870

I hadn't thought of the file name issue but I've updated it to have no spaces and match the @font-face code and still no luck
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I hadn't thought of the file name issue but I've updated it to have no spaces and match the @font-face code and still no luck
It was a shot.

That was one that is in the can cause family, not the always causes family.
(I can read books with spaces in the section filenames just fine, BUT I can't bookmark those (fails silently) ) Even the iffy is iffy
Good luck tracking things down.

Look for little tiny typos. a semi-colon vs a colon. (or one missing)

some viewers are more tolerant than other and help (IMHO making it harder to KNOW you have an error, rather than a render engine quirk)