Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
How to force Calibre to send AZW3 format?

I have checked every preference, but cannot get AZW3 to show up in email formats. How do I add something to email formats (mine currently reads AZW, Mobi, ...)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Try double-clicking the formats field and edit the formats.

Edit: This may not apply to you but the last time I tried to email an AZW3 to my kindle address, it was rejected by amazon as an unsupported format. This was two days ago. I read on the forums that changing the extension to .mobi works. Haven't tried that yet...

Last edited by JimmyR; 03-27-2013 at 08:07 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
So how do you tell Calibre to rename the file from *.azv3 to *.mobi
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iznogood View Post
So how do you tell Calibre to rename the file from *.azv3 to *.mobi
The only way I'm aware of is to do an azw3 to mobi conversion and set the Mobi file type to "New" in the mobi output options.

I just tried this myself, however, and Amazon's Personal Document service rejected the file.

I tried downloading an azw3 sample from Amazon, renamed it with a mobi extension and side-loaded the file. It wouldn't open on my Paperwhite (5.3.3).

I'm not really sure how the personal documents service supports KF8 now:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208507

Last edited by JimmyR; 03-28-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Personal Documents service won't accept something without a mobi segment.

Calibre doesn't seem to be able to create 'hybrid' (mobi+kf8) files. That would be useful if you are sending to personal documents service (and I think it might need .mobi extension as well), which now supports kf8. Of course you would still want kf8-only files for side-loading.

Last edited by tomsem; 03-29-2013 at 11:30 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

In the mobi output options, you can set the mobi file type to "Both" which produces a hybrid file. That was accepted by the PDS and the downloaded file works fine.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Jimmy-Jim-
Did the pds accept (upload) and download the entire hybrid file or did it only accept and download the mobi part?

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-30-2013 at 05:35 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Did the pds accept (upload) and download the entire hybrid file or did it only accept and download the mobi part?
Sorry I didn't give more information before; I was rushed.

The size of the file in my Kindle library is identical to the original file I emailed. However, my Paperwhite ended up with an azw3 (KF8) file about two-thirds the size.

I'm guessing devices that support only the older format get an azw (mobi) file.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Jimmy-Jim-
Thanks for the clarification!....thats rather interesting. Sounds as if Amazon will only upload something with a mobi file in it somewhere, but will selectively download. I wonder why?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote