Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
jollychair
jollychair began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3 v3
Question 2.1 firmware install issue

Hello all,

I have been running firmware version 1.2 (820) on my gen 3 version 3 cybook since I got it, quite some time ago. I decided to update the firmware today, but ran into an interesting issue. When i hold down the center button during boot, the screen flashes as the instructions for firmware installation specifies. However, the screen then goes black for a few minutes, then the device boots up. When i check the "About" page, I am informed that I am still running firmware version 1.2. I searched the forums, but had no luck. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks,
Jolly
jollychair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Huh. The screen should show a progress marker and some text stating that it's updating... did you try this multiple times with the same result?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
jollychair

Yep -_-. Sits at the black screen for a few mins then shows the 3 dots and the cybook, then puts me in my library. Ive reformatted the device, the sd card, re downloaded the kernel... Only problem ive ever had with this cybook was random freezes while reading. Hopefully this isnt a sign of something terrible.
-Jolly
Old 09-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

The black screen you're seeing for a few minutes sounds like that's the place the update info should normally appear. You did follow the instructions to the letter, right? Cybooks can get a little pissed if you don't. Also, I know that you formatted the card and device, and this is really just voodoo, but did you try running a disk integrity check on both the device and the SD card?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
jollychair

Haven't run check disk utilities yet, ill give those a shot. Yeah, I downloaded the kernel, formatted the card as fat 32, copied the kernel over to root, inserted it into cybook, booted, held down center, then bam. Ill post back after running the checks. Thanks,
Jolly
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Did you extract the kernel from the ZIP file the Bookeen website offers? The file should be called "update_kernel" without any extension. Apart from that or a funky disk error, I can't think of anything.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
jollychair

yup, extracted it =) This is really throwing me for a loop. Check disk reports clean, no idea where to go form here. Just my luck, hah.

-Jolly
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard

I've got an idea: Ask Bookeen. It's the only thing that comes to mind.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
jollychair

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid waiting on an email reply, but I guess its all I have left. Thanks for your time =)
Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

No problem, I hope you can figure this out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Which Gen3 do you have? The version with 200MHz or with 400 MHz?

And have you tried updating with the newest mobi-version, too? I guess you are not interested in it as your trying to update the epub-version, I'm just asking to narrow down the problem.

Last edited by Billi; 09-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
jollychair

According to the "About" page I do indeed have the 400mhz, or the 3 rd version of the 3rd gen. I have only tried the epub version (2.1). I suppose it wouldnt hurt to try the other one, Ill reply with the results.

*edit* Same issue with the mobi version =( *edit*

Last edited by jollychair; 09-27-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
jollychair

Bookeen got back to me, and instructed me to use a method previously posted here. I am now running on 2.1 =)
Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Manichean
Wizard

Congratulations, glad it worked out. Out of curiosity, what method was that?
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 AM   #15
Flemming
Flemming began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition
Boot Problem wiith PDF

Hi Everyone
I am new member, and I hope someone could help me, I have a big problems.
My unit is Bookeen Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition. (400 mhz)
It came with Firmware 2.0 Adobe
My first book where in Mobipocket prc Protectet format
So updated the Firmware to 1.6 No problem there it works fine, later I find out that my local City library only have books in PDF protected format I have to download the Firmware 2.1 from Bookeen so I could read the books, and now I got problems. When i update the firmware I got an update error and when turned it on the first picture came up but when the second picture whit the little boot picture it started flashing, try updating again but same result. I double check that it is the right file even downloaded again to be sure. Nothing help so I updated the unit to Mobipocket 1.6 again and set RTC (real time clock) and it works fine I don’t understand why I not can update the unit to 2.1. I have tried to find the ver. 2.0 but no result.
Have send 3 email to Bookeen but no answer.
I really hope someone can help me. Sorry about my English is not so good (I am Danish)
Thanks for a really good forums
Flemming
Email arildsen@os.dk
Flemming is offline   Reply With Quote