Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
soafrocentric
soafrocentric began at the beginning.

Device: E-Ink AM200 Prototype Kit
E-book Reader software for E-ink Am200 Prototype Kit

hello,

i currently have an E-Ink AM200 Prototype Kit and i want to develop e book reader applications on it for my final year project in school. i have many a challenge with knowing what the best application to use. i came across calibre and i am wondering if it can be of any help, the prototype kit runs a gumstix linux and when i power on the device it displays the default program that come with the Kit , I have tried getting programmers that can write a software that will read e-book on that linux platform, but i found none, until i came across Calibre, and i am thinking this should work perfectly for the kit.

Pls i need suggestions and advice form anyone.

what i am looking for is an e-book reader application that can be installed on the Kit and read books from a particular directory in the SD card.

If Calibrie is good enough, i will be needing someone or advice on how to customize it to work well with my kit and how to install it to the kit.

Pls u can google e-book reader Software such as FBREADER and CALIBRE, this are all written in python....

how can we customized it and make it work wit our kit.

Thanks
Efico Centre
soafrocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Your best option is probably OpenInkPot, which is a complete set of firmware for EInk devices and has its own forum here, but I'm not optimistic that even this will suit your needs. It includes FBReader (which is a C++ application), but the hard part will be getting the hardware specific stuff working.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Your best option is probably OpenInkPot, which is a complete set of firmware for EInk devices and has its own forum here, but I'm not optimistic that even this will suit your needs. It includes FBReader (which is a C++ application), but the hard part will be getting the hardware specific stuff working.

Not so hard if he's got a complet AM200 prototyping kit as that has a full set of Linux development tools *including* the EPD device drivers.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
you have a multi thousand dollar prototype kit and you don't know where to start?

Calibre will not help you. it is an Ebook library and converter program for PC's
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
you have a multi thousand dollar prototype kit and you don't know where to start?

Calibre will not help you. it is an Ebook library and converter program for PC's
Well, it also has books viewers = readers. They could come in handy.
Have a look a t them. I believe they are in python, though.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
soafrocentric
soafrocentric began at the beginning.

Device: E-Ink AM200 Prototype Kit
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Not so hard if he's got a complet AM200 prototyping kit as that has a full set of Linux development tools *including* the EPD device drivers.

Derek
Hello Derek,

i have the complete Kit...it came with all accesoories and linux dveplmet tools on it,

I really need help, where do i go from here?
soafrocentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by soafrocentric View Post
Hello Derek,

i have the complete Kit...it came with all accesoories and linux dveplmet tools on it,

I really need help, where do i go from here?
FIRST thing, you make a copy of the entire CD/DVD development disc and send it to me at... No. No. Must restrain myself! (DROOL! To have the dev kit with the EPD drivers. I am SO jealous of you! )

Okay, the real first thing is to get a Linux development system set up. (That is, if you don't already have a Linux-based desktop computer available. If you do, just install the AM200's development tools onto this computer. (BTW, there *may* be Windows-environment development tools on the CD/DVD, but probably not.)

Then snag yourself a set of OpenInkpot sources from www.openinkpot.org as those will contain a rather complete Linux OS for the reader hardware and will have several useful applications such as a GUI (graphical user interface) library manager and a version of FBReader - which is, in my opinion, the best freeware ebook reader out there.

You should also get mIRC or some other IRC app for your desktop as you'll want to be able to log into the OpenInkpot IRC channel. These guys have been developing OpenInkpot and FBReader for the BeBook for some time and may well have more to offer you than I do.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote