Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Best PDF app for the Mac

Hi folks,
after realizing that Mavericks "Preview" app garbles up Adobe ClearScan OCR and practically destroyed half my library I'm in the market for a safer alternative. I'm picky though, Skim is too isolated, PDF Pen is clunky and instable, Adobe Reader, don't get me started, and most cheap alternatives on the App Store are based on OSX's PDF engine which is the reason why I'm looking for an alternative...
Is there really no other magical app that will give me peace? Heck every free app on iOS can deal with ClearScan OCR without any problems and the mighty Apple baked a bug into their PDF engine that destroys worlds...
Seriously, please help me out here, there'll be so much Karma coming your way, you'll be on a high till 2020
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
MuPDF – LightWeight Portable PDF Reader

http://www.techyard.net/mupdf-lightw...le-pdf-reader/

http://www.mupdf.com

I've been using it only on Windows and iPad, though, so I don't about Mac.

They say you can install it via brew.

http://excitedcuriosity.wordpress.co...f-on-mac-os-x/

MuPDF is now available via homebrew. This worked for me:

$ brew install mupdf

http://softwareblog.morlok.net/2013/02/15/mupdf/
Attached Files
File Type: txt mupdf General Commands Manual.txt (3.3 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by markom; 12-15-2013 at 10:45 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, sounds nice in theory. In practise I cannot find a running build of the 1.3 (latest) version anywhere on the internet. And I have no clue how to build it from source code...

EDIT: found out how to install Homebrew and XQuartz and then mupdf from that... but: I have absolutely no clue how to open the app. Can I get detailed instructions from someone please

Last edited by johnnyb; 12-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Or maybe someone could just point me in the direction of another great app
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
jpnous
jpnous began at the beginning.

Device: none
different name

hi kinda old but maybe this helps anyone currently encountering this problem in frustration...

I installed mupdf with:

brew install mupdf

noticed the path (/usr/local/Cellar/...) seemed odd to me. Wasn't in my $PATH so I added it. Then noticed the binary in the install location is actually named mupdf-x11

I would suggest running: mupdf-x11 [FILENAME]

cheers,
works for me now
jpnous is offline   Reply With Quote