Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
A question

A while ago it was discussed Kindle doesn't fully justify text even if forced, it leaves gaps on one side - and doesn't hyphenate. Until now it was true for me all right, until I bought this book. To my surprise it is fully justified, with correctly hyphenated words. My Kindle is not hacked, well except for Kindle Collections in Calibre but I doubt it is relevant. I am pleased with the result, it is easy and comfortable to read but how come? Inside book settings? It also forces a font I don't even know. I didn't do anything neither to Kindle nor the book itself.

The book is "The Family" by Mario Puzo (about the Borgias, interesting read btw)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	106994  
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
From what I've picked up in various threads here at MR some books do have presets as far as what fonts they use and other such things. Some books for example will not save to the Kindle cloud reader when you buy them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'd return this book... your characters are all messed up with strange squiggles through them, and all the letters are in the wrong order. I can't make heads or tails of it

Does the book still hyphenate correctly when you change the font-size, or is this not possible? It could be that the book has a built-in font, set at a specific size, and that the hyphenation is hardcoded in the book.

You could try, for example, to remove the font from the book (convert to EPUB and use the Modify EPUB plugin) plugin and remove any "font-size" attributes in the CSS (use Sigil) for anything but the chapters. Then reconvert to KF8 and re-upload the book onto the Kindle so you can change fonts and sizes.

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing very weird hyphenation in places where there shouldn't be any.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
From what I've picked up in various threads here at MR some books do have presets as far as what fonts they use and other such things. Some books for example will not save to the Kindle cloud reader when you buy them.
thanks crich. I just wonder, the kindle IS able to hyphenate correctly if forced to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'd return this book... your characters are all messed up with strange squiggles through them, and all the letters are in the wrong order. I can't make heads or tails of it

Does the book still hyphenate correctly when you change the font-size, or is this not possible? It could be that the book has a built-in font, set at a specific size, and that the hyphenation is hardcoded in the book.

You could try, for example, to remove the font from the book (convert to EPUB and use the Modify EPUB plugin) plugin and remove any "font-size" attributes in the CSS (use Sigil) for anything but the chapters. Then reconvert to KF8 and re-upload the book onto the Kindle so you can change fonts and sizes.

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing very weird hyphenation in places where there shouldn't be any.
tee hee, leuke grap

what do you mean, they are exactly the same letters, ok but for those few. I CAN read it very well indeed Yep, changed font size hyphenation is correct regardless. I find it very nice actually, I can't be bothered to fiddle with the insides of the file just to see the effect. The font I can live with. And the book is a good read as well.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Curious....
I agree that having hyphenation makes for a nicer reading experience. It is one of the main reasons I installed the JBPatch hack. Though I agree with Katsunami, I think your book is 'broken'!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If it's not hard-coded in the book, then I can't fathom how it's done, as the Kindle can't hyphenate.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
That's nice!

What firmware version does you K3 run on? Maybe there's a new one out?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

The firmware is 3.4 nothing new. It must be the book because now that I finished it and started another hyphenation is not there anymore, whine whine. It was nice while it lasted...
Good job that publisher, and only two errors (lack of space) in entire book. I want more of those!
It ain't broken, it was fixed well
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
The firmware is 3.4 nothing new. It must be the book because now that I finished it and started another hyphenation is not there anymore, whine whine. It was nice while it lasted...
Good job that publisher, and only two errors (lack of space) in entire book. I want more of those!
It ain't broken, it was fixed well
I'm just guessing here - but I assume that the editors actually went through the pain of producing a readable book by creating a KF8 file with soft hyphenation. Congratulations to them!

PS: Książka nie jest uszkodzona, tylko zaszyfrowana w jakimś dziwnym języku
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking

nareszcie ktoś kto mnie rozumie pozdrawiam serdecznie

(=happy to be understood)