Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #46
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Giving each component it's own public addressable address just doesn't make sense--and wouldn't be given the thumbs-up by any competent SysAdmin.
I guess you can take that up with that Japanese cab company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Of course it can be altered to accept multiple signals from IP-enabled devices. That happen right now already. But public addresses can't easily be assigned to devices on a private network that sits behind a NATing router. That's a routing nightmare.
Yeah, I don't discount those nightmarish aspects. A lot about these "everything has an IP" schemes are nightmarish. Does that mean they won't be done? I don't know. Does it mean some of them, at least, aren't worth doing? I'd say they are, and if IPv6 makes them more doable (even if just by the virtue of existing), great.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #47
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
well when they roll out the triple X system, that should free up about a half a billion addresses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
great the roll of Charmin and the GF's female products will each have an IP address. Oh, joy, can't wait until it's all hooked into Amazon and arrives via JIT purchasing. Can you see it, stranded on the throne when out of nowhere there is a knock at the door from the UPS guy with your new supply yet there you are "stranded, sittin' on the toilet bowl, what do you do as a man, when you can't find a roll?" (sung to the tune of the TV show Branded).

hehehehe... we used to sing that in the Army
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #48
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Another bit from the article:

So we may not have another decade to lose!

But you're right, it's another case of "we'll switch when we have to," and so far, no one has had to. When they do have to, assume the transition will be rushed and messy as hell, and a lot of people will be angered and frustrated by the process... especially, I'd expect, the consumers.
Every time I hear blather about the transition to IPV6, it reminds me about all the fuss over Y2K, they seem like parallel situations.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #49
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
The only reason it hasn't already happened with the IPv4 system is the reason the switch to IPv6 is being made already. There's such a limited number of IP addresses available under the IPv4 system that there's not enough to go around. There is no technical reason whatsoever that it couldn't be done with IPv4 at all. It just hasn't been done.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
There's such a limited number of IP addresses available under the IPv4 system that there's not enough to go around.
Which, I believe, brings us full circle.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:52 AM   #51
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Perhaps when Australia gets its National Broadband Network (NBN) we'll get IPv6 in the new equipment. Of course, this will require us to get new routers.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #52
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Perhaps when Australia gets its National Broadband Network (NBN) we'll get IPv6 in the new equipment. Of course, this will require us to get new routers.
It shouldn't. I'd be surprised if there's been a piece of Network equipment that's not be IPv6 ready made in the last 5 years, if not more. IPv6 has been a long time coming. It hasn't been implemented yet because it's hard to move companies and people to anything new. There's a lot of money and time at stake, and people will hold out to the last moment. It should start kicking soon as the last block of IPv4 addresses have been assigned in Feb.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #53
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
It shouldn't. I'd be surprised if there's been a piece of Network equipment that's not be IPv6 ready made in the last 5 years, if not more. IPv6 has been a long time coming. It hasn't been implemented yet because it's hard to move companies and people to anything new. There's a lot of money and time at stake, and people will hold out to the last moment. It should start kicking soon as the last block of IPv4 addresses have been assigned in Feb.
You must be joking. My IPv4 only router modem was only purchased this year.
I am thinking about upgrading it with third party firmware because the company won't support IPv6. That goes for my wireless router too.
In fact, the modem router prevents even things like IPv6 tunnelling.

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-12-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #54
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
You must be joking. My IPv4 only router modem was only purchased this year.
I am thinking about upgrading it with third party firmware because the company won't support IPv6. That goes for my wireless router too.
In fact, the modem router prevents even things like IPv6 tunnelling.
What kind of router do you have?! If you can, you should definitely move to something like DD-WRT. I'm very surprised that a new router wouldn't have IPv6 support.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM   #55
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircastor View Post
What kind of router do you have?! If you can, you should definitely move to something like DD-WRT. I'm very surprised that a new router wouldn't have IPv6 support.
My Netgear WGR-614v6 wireless router, according to the DD-WRT website, is a work-in-progress. My D-Link DSL-502T Generation II modem router is not mentioned at all.
I looked at OpenWrt as well, no dice (although the dlink seems to be a work in progress).
Of course, this wiki information I was looking at may be out of date. It's hard to tell.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #56
AprilHare
Wizard

I just seen this: http://www.andybotting.com/wordpress...dsl-502t-gen-1
Sounds more encouraging..
I think this would be the firmware I want, for that device at any rate: http://backfire.openwrt.org/10.03.1-...7-squashfs.bin

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-19-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #57
AprilHare
Wizard

Apparently DD-WRT supports the Netgear but only if it is a 2 MB model. And I don't want to crack it open to find out. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...atible_devices
Old 04-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #58
AprilHare
Wizard

Tried to upgrade my D-Link modem router and got this:
Quote:
$ ./adam2flash-502T.pl 192.168.1.1 -setmtd1 ~/Downloads/openwrt-ar7-squashfs.bin
Looking for device: ……… found!
ADAM2 version 0.22.2 at 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1)
Firmware type: OpenWRT (little-endian)
logging into ADAM2 bootloader.. ok.
checking hardware.. AR7RD / DSL-502T.
checking MTD settings.. MTD4 was not as expected (should be ’0×90010000,0x903f0000′, was ’0×90020000,0x903e0000′). Cowardly refusing to do anything about it! at ./adam2flash-502T.pl line 270.
Furthermore, it behaves strangely afterwards, requiring power to be cycled from the power point.
So, now that I've proven upgrading to IPv6 is anything but trivial and probably will require buying new equipment, what now?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #59
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Run out of space?!?!

Duh! Let's all use a smaller font.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 AM   #60
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
The suggestion here is that ebook reading devices and cellphones, for example, may be able to contact a book outlet when it knows you’ve finished a book, or looked up an author or phrase, in order to sell you a new book.
That's disgusting.
There's more than enough advertising around already. Being stalked by advertising tracking where I go online is bad enough, they can damn well leave me alone when I curl up with my reader in my comfy chair.

Last edited by Anke Wehner; 04-27-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, internet, promotion, sales, steven lyle jordan