Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Dropbox also has this feature. It's under preferences.
Must be new (since dropbox, like skydrive, just works, I never looked at it after install).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's good to know I am looking over my notes. It seems once I reached over 5GB was when it started having problems. I currently 8 GB in my Box but have disable that folder because it can't sync it.
All in one directory of spread out in many?

Many OS's have issues with thousands of files in one directory (as Amazon has relearned with the Kindle).
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Must be new (since dropbox, like skydrive, just works, I never looked at it after install).
It's been there since last year.

Quote:
All in one directory of spread out in many?

Many OS's have issues with thousands of files in one directory (as Amazon has relearned with the Kindle).
I have my Calibre Library uploaded to Box. It was 8GB at the time now I now have on Dropbox and it's 10GB. I have about 10 different Libraries so it would be multiple folders.

I suspect it's a SQL database issue in AppData\Roaming\Box Sync When the SQL Database becomes a certain size it can corrupt or your PC chokes. The file was around 4GB I deleted and it stop hanging but it has to resync all over again if you do delete it. I did get it to stop hanging at 14% after deleting that file but now it has to resync everything again. It's just badly implemented.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #34
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I planned to load my Calibre library to Box -- but they only had web access when I signed up and I killed the job after a couple of days. I don't think it ever would have completed. I suppose I need to try it again (but have well over 8gb to save, so....)

Calibre keeps everything spread out in folders, so the number of files in a folder would not be an issue -- but the number of folders in in the main directory could have been an issue. Using a SQL database would be on method, I suppose, but I would think it easier to just maintain a directory structure on the linux box it ends up on.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I planned to load my Calibre library to Box -- but they only had web access when I signed up and I killed the job after a couple of days. I don't think it ever would have completed. I suppose I need to try it again (but have well over 8gb to save, so....)

Calibre keeps everything spread out in folders, so the number of files in a folder would not be an issue -- but the number of folders in in the main directory could have been an issue. Using a SQL database would be on method, I suppose, but I would think it easier to just maintain a directory structure on the linux box it ends up on.
Agreed. I tried to upload 300MB on Box yesterday took about an hour and 20 minutes so good luck with 8GB that took me a week to do then when I upgraded the program it has to resync everything again by then the DB corrupted.

Let me know how it works out for you. With Dropbox I got 8GB uploaded in 3 Hours.
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer

I don't think I'll try that much at once, with either one. Our connection is slow and has a huge error rate (so, have to reset the router often). Even dropbox will take quite some time to upload that much (many days). Sounds like Box would never finish, at all.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I don't think I'll try that much at once, with either one. Our connection is slow and has a huge error rate (so, have to reset the router often). Even dropbox will take quite some time to upload that much (many days). Sounds like Box would never finish, at all.
Have you thought about trying a different router. Ours use to reset itself we bought a new one with a bandwidth counter when we dropped Cable so we could keep track with him using the Roku as his primary TV source. We have no more issues or slow down anymore. We paid $40 for our Netgear at Walmart.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #38
koland
Grand Sorcerer

tried two different ones - it's the lines (you should hear the buzz when it rains - I think the local squirrels have damaged them again, but it takes forever to get them to replace lines). They've also replaced equipment at their end several times which was failing (probably from lack of decent surge supression in their unmanned switch near here).
Old 02-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
tried two different ones - it's the lines (you should hear the buzz when it rains - I think the local squirrels have damaged them again, but it takes forever to get them to replace lines). They've also replaced equipment at their end several times which was failing (probably from lack of decent surge supression in their unmanned switch near here).
Let me guess you have CenturyLink? I had a friend in J.C. who has them and her DSL was super slow and I tried to get it fixed for her and her mother but Support wasn't very helpful. When we moved here we had Embarq who is now CenturyLink for a couple months. Never again I will stick with Charter.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Keep in mind that "for life" often means "for 5-10 years" with digital services. When they get big enough to go public, the previous permanent-account users often get screwed over. If they don't get big enough to go public, the new owners may not honor the previous contracts.

Which doesn't mean it's not a great bargain. Just don't expect it to stick around longer than, f'rex, EReader.com. Or MegaUpload.

(I got a box account about three weeks ago. No idea if I'm eligible for the 50gb thing.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

(I got a box account about three weeks ago. No idea if I'm eligible for the 50gb thing.)
You have to sign up under a new address.

I've had Box for years (longer than Dropbox) but my 50GB account which I use now is under my website's email. My other account is now idle. I think I have Sim stuff on it still that people download now and then that I created years back.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Let me guess you have CenturyLink? I had a friend in J.C. who has them and her DSL was super slow and I tried to get it fixed for her and her mother but Support wasn't very helpful. When we moved here we had Embarq who is now CenturyLink for a couple months. Never again I will stick with Charter.
No, TDS - the #4 telco in the US, but they buy up "rural" areas (they own two areas in our county, which is a top 100 city in the country) and are thus protected under many laws (you can't transfer your number out from them, for example, or get a number with their extension from anyone else, they require phone service to get dsl, etc.

The lines used to be faster, but they've been damaged, yet again, and need to be repaired. There are rumors of federal grants to add more equipment to many of there areas, which would greatly increase speed here, but no timetables on when any of it will reach here.

Alternatives: satellite (generally not much faster, despite the ads and often requires a phone line for uplinks), cellular (no 4G here, so not very much faster).
Old 02-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #43
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Keep in mind that "for life" often means "for 5-10 years" with digital services. When they get big enough to go public, the previous permanent-account users often get screwed over. If they don't get big enough to go public, the new owners may not honor the previous contracts.

Which doesn't mean it's not a great bargain. Just don't expect it to stick around longer than, f'rex, EReader.com. Or MegaUpload.

Ereader is biting it (and B&N's transfer process is dead stupid - I've never received any books or any "codes", despite signing up both my accounts several times), but until they did, they kept my books alive over a decade (thru three or four owners and corporate names changes, without me ever having to even change a password).

Hopefully the services have learned from megaupload, tho, and won't encourage so much blatant copyright violation and get closed down. It's always a danger, though (as is them simply going belly up with no notice and turning off the boxes; there's no notice to customers requirement, as there is for employees of large companies) -- so never consider it your sole storage place (no matter how much Amazon encourages that), but more as an off-site backup.