Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
cliemonster
cliemonster began at the beginning.

Metacritic Link down??

One of my favorite sites I download through IsiloX is the Metacritic movie reviews. The link, "http://wireless.metacritic.com/avantgo/" is still active, but the content doesn't seem to have changed in quite a while. Does anybody know if the current link has changed? I'm a staunch anti-avantgo, so hopefully I can find a new, more current link. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
From the Avantgo website Help, dated 11/7/2006:

Are there any known issues with the Metacritic.com channel?

Answer

Yes. At this time, this channel is displaying a Timed Out message.

We have contacted the content provider and hope to have a resolution shortly.

Please add your email address to the button below to be notified when it is fixed.

I've requested the e-mail notification. We'll see what happens.
Advert
Old 01-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
I agree, metacritic was one of the best sites in this form. I've been downloading stuff from their main film website, but it's much less convenient than the old Avantgo version. Unfortunately, their RSS feed also doesn't help, it only lists two films. Hope it eventually goes back up.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's back up!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
cliemonster

Really? I'm still getting the old data. Maybe its a problem with my browser.
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

Very interesting.

It was working, at least as of January 12, the last time I updated it through Sunrise. But I just checked it directly online (through Firefox) and also through Avantgo, and it has reverted to the old data.

I'll keep an eye on it.

Edit: Less than 1 hour later, it's back up. Looks like they're having problems. We'll just have to see how it goes.

Last edited by DTM; 01-16-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Yay! (inserting smilie here to meet 5-character limit: )
Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
cliemonster

Down again?

Looks like the link is down again. Interestingly, its reverted back to the same data it was stuck on the last time. Weird. Hope it comes back up again. That was how I figured out what movies to go see...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
cliemonster

Looks like its back

I'm not trying to bump this thread or anything, but Metacritic is back up! I keep it in my Isilox file just so I don't have to remember to keep checking, and I'm not entirely sure when it came back up, but on a whim I opened the file on my PDA and it was new and up to date. So there you go...
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

It's been up for a couple of weeks. They definitely seem to have problems on that site. The odd thing is that, when it fails, it always reverts to last November, rather than just getting stuck on the most recent update.

Although I had requested e-mail notification on this back in January, from both Avantgo and Metacritic, I never heard from either of them, so I have no idea what's going on. Maybe they don't either.