Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
GambitDeclined
GambitDeclined began at the beginning.

Device: GambitDeclined
Thumbs up Hanvon N518 v0.95 Firmware Update

I have been searching for a firmware update for my Hanvon N518 since I purchased it a few months ago. Overall, I was happy with the device, but could not get DRM PDFs to work on it. So from time to time, I would search for a firmware update to solve the problem.

Today, I found the v0.95 firmware update on a German ebook site. This is the English version of the page.

The firmware can be downloaded directly from this link. The instructions are in German, but the default language for the update is English. If you want German, you have to select it from the settings menu after you update your firmware.

Here are the instructions for flashing your N518:

After downloading and expanding the zipped firmware file:
  1. Copy all the contents in the German folder to the root directory of your SD card. You can either use a USB cable to copy these files, or alternately you can copy the files to your SD card using an SD card reader.
  2. After you have copied the files, eject the device or return the SD card your N518.
  3. Navigate to the Settings menu on the N518, go to the System Maintenance menu and select update. You will have to confirm that you want to upgrade.
It took about five minutes for my N518 to completely update. It will reboot a couple of times, set on the loading screen (just to worry you) and finally inform you that it found an update and start the flashing process.

I have not explored any of the new features, but the DRMed files (curse you Adobe) load properly now. I will update this post once I have had a chance to explore the new features.

Hope this helps.
GambitDeclined is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware update, hanvon, n518