Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
farstar
farstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Entourage edge for scientific textbooks?

Hello, I am looking for reading scientific textbooks in pdf (I have many of them). After reading this forum, I have reached the conclusion that 6'' is not enough, and 10'' is best.

I am based in Europe, and there are very few possibilities yet (Irex DR 1000 S the only one, but expensive and with several pitfalls).

I have read about the entourage edge, and I believe it apparently is a good solution for me: 10'', not very expensive, and with two screens, the second one having android.

I have been thinking about being able to execute the code I could be reading from my textbooks (R, S-PLUS, Mathematica, Fortran, C++, ...), and I believe there could be a way out (I have read linux' android cannot natively run standard linux programs like R or Fortran):

use something like phonemypc (http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemy...eractlive.html) to control my home pc through the wifi at home (I believe the entourage edge has wifi, but not 3G yet): with the eink, read the textbook; with android, control my pc through phonemypc to run the code in R, Fortran, ...

There would only be missing a proper keyboard, but I guess that if I needed to type a lot, I could go to the proper PC, but for normal typing, I could use the virtual keyboard. And then I would have everything in a single platform.

Is this possible? My fear is that even though it is possible, a new machine like the entourage edge plus a layer of complexity on android (phonemypc) could fail in practice.

What do you think?
farstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
farstar
farstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
No replies?
farstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Edge is available starting next month for $490

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/e...hip-next-mont/

I think your idea has plenty of merit
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It's intriguing, as at that price it's in the same ball-park as the Kindle DX, which is now available for international pre-order.
Tricky, as one the one hand, the DX is just a PDF reader, but it's been on sale in the US for a while, while on the other hand the Edge is pre-release even in the US. The other thing to note is that it sounds as if you'll need to be charging it every few hours if you're using the LCD screen - probably more often still if actively using the wireless...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I think yes...here is an excellent image showing the device with a sense of scale. My guess is your PDF's should be OK...nobody can say for sure until someone buys the beastie and tries it out...but as you can see, it's certainly large enough for research and notes at the same time...I bet it's a killer lab journal!!

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewe...D21,00.asp?p=y
(note...stop the slideshow right away because it's just the one pic of interest)
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by farstar View Post
Hello, I am looking for reading scientific textbooks in pdf (I have many of them). After reading this forum, I have reached the conclusion that 6'' is not enough, and 10'' is best.

I am based in Europe, and there are very few possibilities yet (Irex DR 1000 S the only one, but expensive and with several pitfalls).

I have read about the entourage edge, and I believe it apparently is a good solution for me: 10'', not very expensive, and with two screens, the second one having android.

I have been thinking about being able to execute the code I could be reading from my textbooks (R, S-PLUS, Mathematica, Fortran, C++, ...), and I believe there could be a way out (I have read linux' android cannot natively run standard linux programs like R or Fortran):

use something like phonemypc (http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemy...eractlive.html) to control my home pc through the wifi at home (I believe the entourage edge has wifi, but not 3G yet): with the eink, read the textbook; with android, control my pc through phonemypc to run the code in R, Fortran, ...

There would only be missing a proper keyboard, but I guess that if I needed to type a lot, I could go to the proper PC, but for normal typing, I could use the virtual keyboard. And then I would have everything in a single platform.

Is this possible? My fear is that even though it is possible, a new machine like the entourage edge plus a layer of complexity on android (phonemypc) could fail in practice.

What do you think?
i think there's bluetooth/USB support for keyboard, but not sure.... waiting for a hands on video...

i was almost going for the K DX int'l until the Entourage Edge came out... eInk + secondary screen looks great, it says 7 days on eInk or 6 hours on LCD power-wise, which is enough for me to be a semi-replacement for my laptop/paper notebooks in college....

though its preordering at $490 + $20 shipping... im going to wait for a full review first
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
i think there's bluetooth/USB support for keyboard, but not sure.... waiting for a hands on video...

i was almost going for the K DX int'l until the Entourage Edge came out... eInk + secondary screen looks great, it says 7 days on eInk or 6 hours on LCD power-wise, which is enough for me to be a semi-replacement for my laptop/paper notebooks in college....

though its preordering at $490 + $20 shipping... im going to wait for a full review first
Here is one hands on video, not a lot of info but some:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/e...usty-hands-on/

There are also plenty of YouTube vids as well:
http://www.youtube.com/results?sourc...N&hl=en&tab=w1
too many to link in...pick you fav...

Here are the details about the Wacom Penable touch portion of the eink side from the Wacom site. I like that the stylus does not need a battery. I never have looked into Wacom stuff this much but I see that have come a long way from many years ago gone by...nice stuff.

If they add a PixelQi panel to the LCD side in a future model, I might just have to buy one. We'll see though.

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-10-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Here is one hands on video, not a lot of info but some:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/16/e...usty-hands-on/

There are also plenty of YouTube vids as well:
http://www.youtube.com/results?sourc...N&hl=en&tab=w1
too many to link in...pick you fav...

Here are the details about the Wacom Penable touch portion of the eink side from the Wacom site. I like that the stylus does not need a battery. I never have looked into Wacom stuff this much but I see that have come a long way from many years ago gone by...nice stuff.

If they add a PixelQi panel to the LCD side in a future model, I might just have to buy one. We'll see though.
i guess one problem with the videos i've seen is that the eInk works with LCD, but can the eInk work alone( and save battery life?)...
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
i guess one problem with the videos i've seen is that the eInk works with LCD, but can the eInk work alone( and save battery life?)...
yes, sorta but not really or maybe a bit, ...still watch them again. They even list a runtime for ereading ONLY...what panel do ya think they feel they are talking about? The LCD is as off as they can make it which using just the eink panel.

If you mean shut down all circuity associated with the LCD panel, I don't see that it would be possible to turn off the hardware for the LCD panel because it will draw some current even if the LCD itself is off. It's not a lot of current draw while that side of things is sleeping but it's there, which is why the 16hr estimate is what it is and not weeks but for now I feel it's just fine thanks...and from my viewing the guy from Entourage indicated their estimates were based on real world use not theoretical times.

Now if they can shove a PixelQi panel in there, good things will happen for sure!!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I like this device (in spite of its uglyness), because you can use it in various light conditions. Daylight? Outside? Use the e-ink screen. Dark? Bedroom? Use the LCD screen. This would require the ability to install a reader application, naturally... I'd love to see a Win7 tablet like this....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote