Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Headline: 4-April-2016, Amazon attacks MR add-ins!

Not an exaggeration.

Allow a wireless connection to Amazon - your MKK keys will die.
If connecting by 3G - the death of the keys is almost instantaneous.

Both myself and one of our best developers (Geekmaster) just happened to be watching / playing with their Kindles when the attack started.

First thing you will notice is a brand new:
"Test Kindle Installation Report" document will pop up among your documents.
The second thing:
KUAL can't be used to 'fix' whatever was just trashed.

This is the same thing that happened in the past when you changed registration status.
Now it only requires that you make a connection to Amazon.

Touchscreen device owners:

The 'hotfix' package will fix the device for you:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597

Put it in the top of visible USB storage and use the 'old school' way to install it :: "Update My Kindle" menu entry.
(your only choice, KUAL and MrPI will be dead)

Non-Touchscreen device owners:

Manually (re-)install the MKK package for your device from the selection at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

All device types

You might want to add 'Rescue Pack' now, if you don't have it installed already.
You don't need to know how to use it (now) - we can cross that bridge if we ever need to.

= = = = =

It is too early to say if the BBB firewall can block this malicious damage - and I can't test it myself at the moment (Amazon took their big hammer to my test devices).

Somebody try the BBB firewall and see if your MKK keys disappear when you connect to Amazon.

When (if) I get my own devices restored - I'll check out the BBB rules myself (I am the author of the BBB firewall).

Last edited by knc1; 04-04-2016 at 05:20 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Pardon my ignorance, but what are "MKK keys"?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What used to be called "The Kindlet Jailbreak".
Which was always getting confused with "The Device Jailbreak".

They are the combined set of developer keys for our 'Active Documents'.
Without them, you can't run KUAL, Collections Manager, <probably other things>.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
"MobileRead Kindlet Kit".

It is the hack name for the shared developer keys used to sign Active Content such as the KUAL launcher. Amazon signs the Active Content in the store with their release keys, but I guess sanctioned developers get their own keys added by Amazon (for development purposes ) -- and the MKK hijacks that process and inserts the MR signing keys.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@knc1,

So this is not a firmware change -- Amazon is messaging the Kindle that it isn't owned by a registered developer, and the Kindle knows to respond by wiping the keys?

When you say the hotfix will fix it, do you really mean "reinstall the MKK until the next time it gets attacked"? And what about the bridge?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Good idea to leave jailbroke kindles in Airplane mode

Is it a good idea to leave all jailbroke kindles in Airplane mode until you and the others figure out a workaround?

I am assuming this only applies to jailbroke kindles.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is it a good idea to leave all jailbroke kindles in Airplane mode until you and the others figure out a workaround?

I am assuming this only applies to jailbroke kindles.
That of course is an absolute protection.
At least until they send the goon squads to your location to take your Kindle in hand and change things.

People who do not have a jail broken Kindle can not run any of our packages -
So there is nothing for Amazon to disable.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
For me, so far, the "backdoor lock" KUAL extension is working (for several days now), and using it to lock the "backdoor" is preventing this official maliciousness (for now). I can use KUAL extensions even with airplane mode OFF. At least until amazon ups their nastiness quota.

Meanwhile, all my kindles have airplane mode ON when not needed, just in case...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Maybe we just got lucky and caught a 'pre-deployment' test of what is to come RSN.

Or maybe they where just testing if we had a solution on-hand (we do).

You might want to point a link to your post about recent FCC changes in this thread.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Maybe we just got lucky and caught a 'pre-deployment' test of what is to come RSN.

Or maybe they where just testing if we had a solution on-hand (we do).

You might want to point a link to your post about recent FCC changes in this thread.
As requested, here is my interpretation of WHY amazon has chosen to up their active hostility against us, and will likely continue this new trend (i.e. blame the FCC AND combined with amazon's laziness):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15#post3292915

IMHO, the friendly solution is for amazon to lock their radio control drivers and NOT a total firmware lockdown, which makes both us and the FCC happy all around.

EDIT: Hello amazon and lab126! Are you watching us like a hawk right now? If so, please heed my advice to switch tactics and use my friendly solution as mentioned above. You do not need a total lockdown to satisfy the FCC, and as I mentioned, it will not help anyway due to the "kindle in wrong country" problem.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-04-2016 at 06:06 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Just last week, I got frustrated with the kindle cloud collections and decided to take my kindle offline and start using calibre collections and librarian sync only. I am glad I did and guess my kindle will stay offline.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Do note that a simple reboot *should* also restore the keys .

EDIT: FWIW, Just enabled WiFi on my PW2 on FW 5.7.3, so far, so good...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-04-2016 at 06:22 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do note that a simple reboot *should* also restore the keys .

EDIT: FWIW, Just enabled WiFi on my PW2 on FW 5.7.3, so far, so good...
On keyboard devices?
If so, I can test it now, my K2I is still borked.

I thought that the MKK-bridge was 'touchscreen devices only'.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1: Ouch. Yes, good point. Seems I've been stuck in FW 5.x land tonight... ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Will USB network mode 'go away' (return to USBMS mode) if I re-boot this K2?

Your 'safety checks' in the usbnet-toggle script will not disable usbnetworking while the cable is plugged in,
And my only access is over the cable. :{

Triva:
Your message writer things will write over a screen saver image (for that line anyway).