Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For one thing, in order to support collection via a memory card, we'd need to also have a new version of Connect to allow us to do it. I have no idea if the Reader can read collections off or a memory card. Can someone who knows about the internals enough give it a go?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #32
tigajr
tigajr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Smile Edit previous post.

Thank you, Kacir. I will do that.

Tiga Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please notice that you can edit your previous post. I sometimes correct small typos in my posts using that feature.
tigajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #33
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have lots of Sony products too -- as a result I no longer think that they provide high quality products. My next tv, pioneer not sony, my sons favorite console, Wii not PS3, my next e-reader - whichever is best in market when I'm ready to buy.

The idea that "poor product research" is the only blame for getting a product that does not work well is kind of insulting to the consumer. The e-reader should have been usable with PDF's, it should have let you organize files better, it should have performed its basic functions better. All the research in the world does not find alternatives when they are the only game. Now, what do we mean with "should have". Should have means that even though you don't have to, you do it to build brand loyalty. Sony don't think that way.

My ipod did not have volume restrict and it was added by firmware update. It did not have. It enabled cover art. etc... you need to update your Ipod more often Harry .

The bottom line is that customer satisfaction is a question of subjective perception. If enough people are not satisfied someone else gets the business. If people need updated functionality to feel that a product is properly supported then that has to become a part of the business model. Certainly in this age of rushing products to market, expecting feature updates is not unreasonable.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #34
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Why would Sony or anyone else send out upgraded functionality if they are working on the next generation of the same product? Giving out free technology upgrades decrease's the ability to maximize company sales revenue and profits.

I bought the reader to read and have several books with me all the time. I only read one book at a time and therefore I don't put hundreds of books on it at a time. I know I'm a simple mind but it works as advertised and no more or no less. I'm happy they corrected the battery meter bug.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #35
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

Device: prs-500, prs-650
I think we can all agree the the OS and firmware is pretty bad on the eReader. I'm just talking about speed. If you fill up the MC it takes quite a while for it to load up. On the plus side, I just updated the firmware on the Nokia N95 phone and that was a nightmare. The update was 115 MB and alot of people were having different problems with it. The sony update went smooth. That being said, if another company comes out with a faster OS i'm jumping ship.
eppythacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #36
eppythacher
Connoisseur
eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.eppythacher can teach chickens to fly.

This utility updates the Sony Reader (PRS-500) system software to version 1.0.03.07170 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over system software version 1.0.02.01300:

* Resolves an issue where, under certain conditions, the battery meter may not correctly indicate the proper charge level
* Resolves an issue where the reader may not successfully return from sleep mode

Improvements over the original system software:

* Longer Battery life during audio playback
NOTE: Actual battery life may vary based on usage pattern, product settings, battery and environmental conditions.
* Faster transfer speeds when using 4GB or larger Memory Stick® media
* Improved handling of white bands on the audio playback screen
* Addresses security vulnerabilities
* Enhances system stability
Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #37
eppythacher
Connoisseur

Bookeen unveils cross-platform eBook reader
maccnn/electronista (Online news)
Date: 7/26/2007
Bookeen on Thursday promised a genuinely new era of eBook devices with the Cybook Gen3. Its design centers around a 6-inch, 166 dots-per-inch Vizplex e-paper display that provides much better contrast and cuts the refresh rate by more than half. The screen is so clear as to be easily readable even in direct sunlight, Bookeen claims. Just as special is the now confirmed inclusion of support for Amazon's Mobipocket eBook format, which lets users buy and read DRM-protected books from the online retailer.

Unlike some readers, the Gen3 works with Linux, Mac, and Windows PCs and loads data through any USB connection or through removable SD cards. The battery is rated at 8,000 page turns and should last for roughly a month of frequent use. Bookeen is releasing the eBook reader worldwide and will sell it to US customers in September for $350.

You hear that Sony? Cross platform! Ya now maybe the price will drop.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppythacher View Post
I think we can all agree the the OS and firmware is pretty bad on the eReader. I'm just talking about speed. If you fill up the MC it takes quite a while for it to load up. On the plus side, I just updated the firmware on the Nokia N95 phone and that was a nightmare. The update was 115 MB and alot of people were having different problems with it. The sony update went smooth. That being said, if another company comes out with a faster OS i'm jumping ship.

With all due respect, I would have to disagree with your opinion that they are "pretty bad." Here's my personal feeling [my opinion]:

I wish the operating system and firmware were more robust and that certain issues would have been addressed that we've discussed already on MobileRead.

I'm very pleased with my ebook. I have tons [oops! Sorry, files don't weigh anything!] of books on my Reader. For me, there are workarounds to the flat file system. I will either create a new Folder (on the Reader itself), or I will bookmark a title so I can get to it easily.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #39
eppythacher
Connoisseur

I don't really need any more features, I just want the OS to be faster, like a usb stick.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #40
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Unfortunately... 4GB sticks still not working. Only first 2GB are accessable, beyond that are simply ignored.

Like: I put 2GB through the Connect-software. It will simply stop after 2GB.
If I put in another book through a standalone reader, the new book will be ignored.

If I put in >2GB of files through a standalone reader, the reader will detect up to 2GB of files, but when it tries to open of them, it will crash.

Also.. the "speedup for sticks" is probably merely the fact that it will format the files later. You can see the bok-menu, but the "total pages" and other info are filled up later. As a memory stick seems to be some kind of serial format, this can be done.... it's still merely a trick. Actual loading of a large book is still the same...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #41
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
If I install the update Would I lose the joystick page forward/backward hack?

EDIT: My question was answered on another post, should have checked before posting the question

Last edited by Gibbo; 08-01-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #42
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
If I install the update Would I lose the joystick page forward/backward hack?
No, that is still there. Other small features like pagecounter and clock will be gone though
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #43
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
My update apparently went smoothly. I note, though, that my meter indicator before I upgraded was showing 2 empty boxes and now it's showing as completely charged. Hope that's not an indicator of a different problem.Jim
Oh, I don't know, if we didn't have some problems, what would we talk about here?

My upgrade went perfectly, which actually surprised me, as always expect the worst. One bar down when started, full when finished.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I'm laughing at the "security vulnerabilities" fix. I just know that my reader is gonna pick up some wicked virus in the park that's going to destroy western civilization. ;-)
IIRC that was in the section headed "improvements over original software" which probably means cumulative improvements including the previous upgrade which means that this probably refers to SONY barring access to most of the readers filesystem via USB. Not a security feature, an anti-hacker feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppythacher View Post
I think we can all agree the the OS and firmware is pretty bad on the eReader. I'm just talking about speed.
Two things:

1. The speed of transfer of files to the Reader is restricted by the fact that it has a USB 1.1 interface, rather than USB 2.

2. The speed of indexing new files is determined by the speed of the Reader's CPU. This is deliberately slow to use minimal power. I think it's a reasonable compromise, personally. I certainly wouldn't like to see battery life halve merely so new books were indexed more quickly - would you?

So no, I'm afraid I honestly can't agree with you that the "OS and firmware is pretty bad" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote