Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #14371
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Shannon K. Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
...Stop adding authors to my TBR, Alan..I'll be 100 before I get to half of them..
Hmmm...if you do read one of Shannon's books please let me know what you think, okay?

Last edited by alansplace; 10-12-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #14372
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ok! I finished re-reading Proven Guilty earlier today. It was really really a great experience! (brought tears to my eyes multiple times!)

Now, I'm going to give Diane Duane a try with the first in her Young Wizards series, So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition. Part of the reason I want to try it is I'm thinking of it for my Grandson (12 years old) for Christmas! He's already read all of Harry Potter so it seems like it might be a good fit for him.
I finished reading Diane Duane's So You Want to Be a Wizard, New Millennium Edition. It was a fun read and I will probably get my grandson the Young Wizards International Edition, Complete Set (9 books) for Christmas. It's really affordable at $39.99 and DRM-free as well.

Now back to The Dresden Files, White Night! Name:  banane.gif
Views: 431
Size:  844 Bytes
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #14373
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Hmmm...if you do read one of Shannon's books please let me knw what you think, okay?
Are you suggesting the Sentinel Wars series or the Delta Force trilogy?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #14374
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Shannon K. Butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Are you suggesting the Sentinel Wars series or the Delta Force trilogy?
...er....I only knew about Sentinel Wars and The Edge and I've never read anything from either one, so I can't suggest anything!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #14375
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
OK - another indie novel now. This time, it's David Michael's Gunwitch: A Tale Of The King's Coven. I've enjoyed the other books I've read from this author so I'm interested to see what effect this one has on me.
Finished this one. Great story as usual from David Michael. I really respect this guy as a storyteller.

There were a few weaknesses this time around so no 5 stars from me. I was thrown in one section by the introduction of an element of the story which threw a little too much at me at once and I was disoriented for quite a while trying to integrate the elements into my understanding. Also the ending was a little less satisfying than I'd hoped. It wasn't that it was a bad ending per se, it's just that I think certain characters needed to be developed a bit further to reach this point - particular that of Margaret.

However, overall, great story and great characters. Another winner from David Michael keeping him towards the top of my "go-to" indie author list.

Now I'm going to try out Carmilla. This novella intrigues me because I knew nothing about it until it was nominated for the book club read this month. Pre-dating and heavily influencing Bram Stoker's Dracula? This I have to read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #14376
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
My reading has been erratic since I've been in the process of getting my Kindle Keyboard 3G replaced because it had fits after the 3.4 upgrade. I haven't reloaded the last books I'd put on (some I was partway through reading) which were removed in the early stages of my troubleshooting in case a corrupted book was the problem.

I did manage to read the recent Reacher novel, A Wanted Man. Quick suspenseful read with a bit of a psychological thriller feel to it. I rolled my eyes when Reacher went Rambo at the end of the book.

I whizzed through a couple of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books, #11 and #13. Great atmosphere, lots of red herrings, and quality time with my boys at the 87th.

I gave Relic, the first in Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston's Pendergast series, a go after enjoying my listen of Riptide last month. The fascinating setting (Natural History museum) made it work, although the character development was lacking.

Finally got around to reading The Best American Mystery Stories 2011. A couple of good twists in the middle stories and no duds.

Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey, was the wee bit predictable and not as enjoyable for me as her Alan Grant mysteries. Still good writing though.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #14377
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Prince of the Blood by Raymond E. Feist.

I have read Prince of the Blood, many years ago, but this is a revised edition.
The revised version is, I think, an improvement. But it's a long time since I read the original. An enjoyable return to the world of Magician.

Indeed, I liked it so much, I even went so far as to buy the sequel, when I found it was now available.
[*]October 12th: The King's Buccaneer by Raymond E. Feist.

I don't remember reading this before, but it's possible that I have.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #14378
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm between books at the moment, having just polished off The Golden Spiders (a Nero Wolfe mystery) by Rex Stout. Only gave it 3 stars, but it probably deserved more.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #14379
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am starting to reread Cross the Stars by David Drake. It is his version of Homer's Odyssey. It is free at Baen's Free Library. I have not read it since about 1995. I want to see if I like it as much now as then.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #14380
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

I gave Relic, the first in Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston's Pendergast series, a go after enjoying my listen of Riptide last month. The fascinating setting (Natural History museum) made it work, although the character development was lacking.
I enjoyed both Riptide and Relic. However, I didn't care for Relic's sequel Reliquary. My next favorite by them would be The Ice Limit.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #14381
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So I just recently read Sakoontala or The Lost Ring by Kalidasa. It was actually quite good, very moving and poetic if one likes very classic literature. The epub that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg was very good as far as no apparent errors in the text, but the formatting was awful. It is a play and hence the dialogue was intended to be in the format of Character: lines spoken, but this was very screwed up in the document. I think I will try and put a revised copy up here in the MR library within the next week.
Interesting; what attracted me to it was that it sounded moving and poetic, as you put it, so it's nice to hear that it actually is. I hope I can get to it eventually. Thanks for the review (and the possible future upload)!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #14382
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I'm going to try out Carmilla. This novella intrigues me because I knew nothing about it until it was nominated for the book club read this month. Pre-dating and heavily influencing Bram Stoker's Dracula? This I have to read.
Finished this and enjoyed it. One of my rare one-session reads, but it wasn't a huge book so that's not exactly a boast.

I didn't find it utterly bone-chilling. I sometimes think a person relating what someone else has related doesn't bring with it the necessary immediacy that gets the heart racing. But it flowed relatively well and if I spent a little time recreating certain scenes how I would imagine them, I could more readily relate to the terror felt by Laura.

Now - another indie effort. This time it's Martuk ... The Holy by Jonathan Winn. I've been looking forward to this as I put in on my read/review list before I read too far into the sample provided. I was taken with the language employed. I'm expecting this to be a literary fantasy with ties into the bible which should make for fascinating reading.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #14383
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished reading, WHALE SONG by Cheryl K Tardif. It was very different from the thrillers that I normally read, but this was a welcome change. It dealt with many current topics such as teenage bullying and medical assisted suicide. Some readers may need a tissue or two handy.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #14384
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm currently reading Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow (as he points out when discussing how hard-to-pronounce names affect a company's sales, his name is pronounced Ma-lah-DI-nov). What a fascinating subject tackled by a scientist with more than sufficient street cred to do it justice.

This is the book the MobileRead Book Club should have chosen for its September selection, but did anyone listen to me? It didn't even get a second!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #14385
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm currently reading Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow (as he points out when discussing how hard-to-pronounce names affect a company's sales, his name is pronounced Ma-lah-DI-nov). What a fascinating subject tackled by a scientist with more than sufficient street cred to do it justice.

This is the book the MobileRead Book Club should have chosen for its September selection, but did anyone listen to me? It didn't even get a second!
I knew his name was familiar, I enjoyed to The Drunkard's Walk earlier this year. Neat book about how we fail to account for randomness in our lives.

*adds Subliminal to my wishlist*
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote