Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #31
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDln View Post
I still believe that dog should not be let lose, especially in the neighborhoods.
Peanut is NEVER allowed out without Susie or me being with her. That's not to protect people from Peanut, it's to protect her from people!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Another annoying thing I have seen are the dogs who bark at night. There is a dog in one of the houses close to front part of our house. Once our guest could not sleep well. Our bed room is in the back and we never heard any barking. What to do in this kind of situation. I am not aware of any laws against this kind of annoying habit of a dog.
Are there any by-laws regarding noise? Some areas have by-laws regarding noise after a certain period of time at night. Not sure if this will help.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #33
Miss
Connoisseur
Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Miss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 360+
I really like dogs and responsible dog owners.

For those with dogs bothering them, have you considered carrying around pepper spray and using it on any that come too close?

My pet peeve is parents who don't bother to teach their kids the basics about not approaching a dog without the owner's permission. I've actually watched as a parent sees a stranger with their dog and immediately encourages the child to "go pet the nice doggie." It's as if the notion that the dog might not take kindly to the approach doesn't even enter their minds.

Quote:
Another annoying thing I have seen are the dogs who bark at night. There is a dog in one of the houses close to front part of our house. Once our guest could not sleep well. Our bed room is in the back and we never heard any barking. What to do in this kind of situation. I am not aware of any laws against this kind of annoying habit of a dog.
One possible solution is a remote bark silencer. You can set it up on your own property and it will affect the dogs nearby. I ended up getting one when some neighbors' dogs were keeping me awake. Now I only turn it on as needed, and it is very effective.
Miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #34
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Often it is the owners who are a big problem
I have to agree with that. I often look after the dog of friends. She's a very nice dog but when out walking she'll bark and lunge at other dogs. Interestingly she only does this when walking in an area she knows well. If I take her to the woods to walk she ignores other dogs. I find the barking and pulling very annoying and when I look after her for longer than a weekend I can usually get her to act more normal within days. I don't know why my friend accepts, maybe even likes, this behaviour.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #35
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_pheonix View Post
Are there any by-laws regarding noise? Some areas have by-laws regarding noise after a certain period of time at night. Not sure if this will help.
I think there are some laws against noise such as playing loud music after certain hours. In San Jose, CA airport no flight lands after 12 at night. Because neighbor hoods are too close. But I never heard anything about dogs. Thanks for the response.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 04:18 AM   #36
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
I think there are some laws against noise such as playing loud music after certain hours. In San Jose, CA airport no flight lands after 12 at night. Because neighbor hoods are too close. But I never heard anything about dogs. Thanks for the response.
There certainly are laws here - local councils can issue warnings to the dog owner and if the problem persists they can fine the owners. Might be worthwhile asking your local authorities what rules cover noisy dogs. If there are no laws, perhaps some letter writing and phone calls might rouse some action.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #37
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I must be lucky in the areas that I've lived! Neighbours have been very responsible owners and even though I constantly see dogs out on walks with owners, they are always on a leash. No dogs barking outside day or night either...my own little Maggie is more of an indoor dog and doesn't bother anyone...except the cat who isn't always in the mood to play...
Good owners make for good pets...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Brendan Carroll
Assassin Chronicles
Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I currently own (or I'm owned by) a Pug. She is a fun dog, hyper-active and too rambunctious to pet half the time. I'm also owned by a huge, gray cat named Drew. Needless to say, they don't like each other. I've also owned Sharpeis, an Airedale, a German Shepherd, a Boxer, a dachshund, a variety of mutts, a Chihuahua and a Shih Tzu. I loved them all, but almost all of them bit me at one time or another. As long as it wasn't a vicious thing, but a natural reaction to pain or fear or excitement or whatever, I was OK with it. Love dogs and cats!
Brendan Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #39
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
I used to have a dog, had never bit anyone, and when she went for walks, she would always have a leash on. The only time she wouldn't would be in the backyard where she can run free. I do think though that all dogs should have a leash when they're outside. It's safer, and if someone does get bitten by a dog, then naturally the owner must be held accountable.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #40
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
In my neighborhood nearly everyone has at least one dog, and some of them are quite noisy! Since everyone has one, nobody complains; lest they be complained against. We all just get used to the noise. Occasionally a dog will escape and run free through the neighborhood, but mostly they are always on a leash.

There are also a few chicken owners (cock fighting is illegal here, but more than a few people still do it) and the roosters crow night and day, but especially at around dawn. I kind of like the sound, it lends a rural ambiance to the place, but I can see where it might bother some.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Dogs on the street should be on a leash, where it only for the reason to prevent them getting hit by a car, when they try to run off to the other side of the street when they see something of interest over there.

That said, I've never been bitten by a dog, and have been around them much of my life. My parents used to breed dogs, of many races. I think I can count all unfriendly dogs I ever encountered on the fingers of one hand. And even they were not unfriendly enough to even try to bite me.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #42
alice11
alice11 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone4
I love animals very much, but most of all I love dogs. I like dog bast. Because it can understand me. It's very kind and very lovely. It also can look after home.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-28-2012 at 03:20 AM.
alice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #43
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I got to share this. I came back after a month in India. Wild dogs are everywhere because you can't put dog to sleep. My relative runs a private medical college; and three people were bitten by a dog. Since these are wild, all of them going through rabies shots.

True but hard to believe.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #44
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I hate dogs. They stink, crap our streets, are a threat to kids (at least some dogs) and are an annoyance when they start barking for no reason.
And I won't even go on the stupid dogs that hump your leg ...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #45
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I hate dogs. They stink, crap our streets, are a threat to kids (at least some dogs) and are an annoyance when they start barking for no reason.
And I won't even go on the stupid dogs that hump your leg ...

oh yes, they are just horrible. this video shows how incredibly untrained and non-helpful they can be
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote