Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
How do I use the Calibre content server

Unless I've misunderstood what the content server is I should be able to send books to my Kobo Touch through the internet . I'm just wondering how I can do that?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Start the content server, then you can either:

a) From your Kobo Touch connect to http://<your_pcs_ip_address>:<port in use>/

OR

b) Config your router to open a port and forward that to <your_pcs_ip_address> and then from your Touch connect to http://<your_ISP_supplied_ip_address>:<port_in_use>

In either case you should be able to browse and download books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried A already with no luck
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have any firewalls active on your system blocking ports?

Can you (from your PC) connect to http://127.0.0.1ort ?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I've tried A already with no luck
Did you click the Test button on the preference page when you set up the content server?
Did it Pass

BTW did you tick the box: "Run automatically on startup"
Calibre must be left running (I suggest using the
Preference: Look and Feel: Main Interface: (tick) Enable System Tray Icon
This way, clicking the X in th corner only closes the GUI and leaves Calibre running (Ctrl-Q to really Quit)

BTW 127.0.0.1 is ONLY for testing on the same machine, not another system or device.
Typically your (home network) machine will have a 192.168.x.y address
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired

I've tried {http://my IP address:8080/} and that didn't work, it won't load on my browser or on my touch.

Last edited by The Terminator; 09-11-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried {http://my IP address:8080/} and that didn't work, it won't load on my browser or on my touch.
Just asking
You did use your numeric IP address, not the phrase My IPaddress

If the Test button works and using your machines IP:assigned_port_number
does not work from any other machine on your Local network, a firewall on the host is most likely blocking.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Moderator Notice
Moved to Devices, where connection problems probably belong
Old 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just asking
You did use your numeric IP address, not the phrase My IPaddress
Of course, do think I'm a moron lol
Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Of course, do think I'm a moron lol
I've dealt with users for many years now

I always ask

We all know about Assume
Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired

Lol, ok so I guess it's my firewall. I'll try to work that out.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

You might like to validate that the port is open on your PC. (I presume you ARE using Windows)...

Check out TCPView from Sysinternals You should be able to validate that the port has been opened by Calibre. In my case, it's port 8080 and it shows up as being owned by process calibre.exe.