Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
yowzah
yowzah began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T3, Sony eReader
Connect and internet proxy?

Is there any way to use the Connect software through an internet proxy / firewall? I don't see any preferences / options to set up a proxy connection.
yowzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I beleive it's using IE for all HTML/internet stuff, so it should work if you set up IE properly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
I beleive it's using IE for all HTML/internet stuff, so it should work if you set up IE properly.
That's odd... didn't they say in the Q&A that it didn't have any specific browser dependencies? But when the software accesses the store, it does look like it's using some browser or other.

What gave you the IE impression? I don't know how to tell if it's using an embedded browser or using something like some IE api's.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
yowzah
yowzah began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T3, Sony eReader
You're right. It was IE.

I do use Firefox as my default browser, but also had IE set up properly through proxy. However, the IE setup is using an automatic configuration script vs. a hardcoded proxy server setting. I tried additionally hardcoding the proxy server setting in IE, and that fixed Connect.

Thanks.
yowzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
That's odd... didn't they say in the Q&A that it didn't have any specific browser dependencies? But when the software accesses the store, it does look like it's using some browser or other.

What gave you the IE impression? I don't know how to tell if it's using an embedded browser or using something like some IE api's.
Actualy, I haven't seen the software yet but I would be surprised if they used anything else. IE's is the easiest engine to use in your program - just create the COM class and you're done. Much simpler than using some HTML renderer (and working around its quirks) then writing all the networking code yourself.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
There is Q/A related to Proxy in CONNECT Reader Help file. I'm sure my proxy server suppots SSL & Cookies, and IE set to use it, but still CONNECT cannot CONNECT ... so to speak.

Quote:
Q. Cannot connect to CONNECT eBooks.
A. You cannot connect to CONNECT eBooks if your proxy server or firewall is set as follows:
the proxy server is incompatible with Cookie or SSL (Secure Socket Layer).

the firewall is not set to allow SSL communication.

For details on setting of the proxy server or firewall, consult your Internet service provider or Network Administrator.

A. CONNECT Reader communication may be blocked by the firewall software. Try resolving the issue by verifying follows:
Activate the "CONNECT Reader.exe" communication of the firewall software setting.

Deactivate the firewall software temporarily and use CONNECT Reader (done at user's own risk).

Depending on the firewall software, the confirmation dialog box may appear when accessing to CONNECT eBooks. Select "accept" and proceed with the operation.

A. Is a security service specifically provided by your Internet service provider used?
If used, deactivate the service temporarily and connect to CONNECT eBooks. (The CONNECT Reader communication may be blocked by the service.) For details on how to deactivate the service, consult your Internet service provider.

If the proxy server is used on a network at work or school, verify with the network administrator whether or not a specific security service is used on the proxy server. If it is, switch to a communication method that does not use that service.

A. Network congestion may have occurred. Try to reconnect later.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Amadeus
Amadeus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzah
I tried additionally hardcoding the proxy server setting in IE, and that fixed Connect.
Yes, I can confirm that if you're having issues with accessing the Connect Store from within Connect Reader, it seems that the Internet Explorer connection settings need to be set to use a fixed proxy server.
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
TomMMD
TomMMD is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Yes, I can confirm that if you're having issues with accessing the Connect Store from within Connect Reader, it seems that the Internet Explorer connection settings need to be set to use a fixed proxy server.

And what does this mean (or, more to the point, how do we do this)?
TomMMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMMD
And what does this mean (or, more to the point, how do we do this)?
1. What OS are you using?
2. What are your current Internet Properties for Connections>>LAN Settings?
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote