Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Jetbook Lite DRM compatiblity?

Ok, I just got my wife's Lite in, with v0.14i firmware loaded, and it wouldn't read a Barnes & Nobel book that I had bought last week. I called into support, and I was told that I have to load DRM'ed books via MobiReader. No problem, I loaded MobiReader, but it won't import my DRM'ed B&N book. Again, no problem, pulled a book down that will work in the MR, verified that it was drm'ed and readable on MR correctly. Tried to transfer it over to the Lite and it tells me that it's an Incompatible Compression Method. Ok, I'll call back to Ectaco, and they tell me I need a new version of firmware to support protected ePub & prc files, and they are in the process of sending me the information to my email (I have no problem with that, nor with flashing the device).

Now my question is, is anybody out there using their Lite to read books purchased from B&N (epubs with their DRM on them), and what's the procedure you're using?
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
Now my question is, is anybody out there using their Lite to read books purchased from B&N (epubs with their DRM on them), and what's the procedure you're using?
There are no eBook devices besides the Nook, that currently support the the ePubs that B&N is selling (the eReader .pdb files with DRM which B&N is also selling is separate story).

Adobe just released the software (RMSDK 9.1) to enable to device manufacturers to create firmware updates to read the ePubs that B&N is selling.

When and if they choose issue firmware updates is up to them.

(But I wouldn't expect anything this year).
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What ECATCO says is (product info):
Quote:
Support of DRM format through Barnes & Nobles
and on their forum they say (Pavel - technical support):
Quote:
Jetbook-Lite version 0.14i supports both epub and pdb books which are provided by Barnes and Noble.
Since you have 0.14i, something is wrong. I had previously assumed that "DRM from B&N" meant "DRM from FictionWise (eReader)", but if the quote from Pavel is correct it actually uses the B&N SDK to support both eReader DRM (.pdb ebooks) and passworded ePubs. This is the case with B&N's Windows app, it can read B&N password-protected ePubs and DRM-free ePubs but it can't read AdobeID DRMed ePubs. However, you have already confirmed that 0.14i does not work for B&N ePubs. It probably does work for eReader ebooks with DRM, e.g. from FictionWise.

What is definitely wrong is the MobiPocket Reader stuff. The Lite can read DRM-free MOBI, but not DRMed MOBIs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Perhaps you could try the latest firmware, 0.14k.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
heffe2001
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Perhaps you could try the latest firmware, 0.14k.
I believe that's what he's sending a link to, as he said the new firmware (I believe the guy said .14k) was needed to work with the DRM'ed files. I'm guessing the firmware he's going to supply probably has to be hand-made per person, so it'd have a random PID for use with the Mobireader stuff instead of the same pid for everyone. I figured I'd have the email by now, but apparently not (it's been a couple hours at this point).
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
JeePea
Enthusiast
JeePea is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
According to Kris777's reply in the thread with a link below, 0.14i firmware supports B&N books. Perhaps Kris777 will chime in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Lite
JeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
heffe2001
Zealot

Just called back, and they won't be able to send the firmware to me until tomorrow morning. I think the problem is, the Lite supports the older DRM files, but not the newer epub or prc files. It's not imperative that I get it working now, we only have one drm'ed epub, but I'd like to get it working so she can order some new books maybe next week.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePea View Post
According to Kris777's reply in the thread with a link below, 0.14i firmware supports B&N books. Perhaps Kris777 will chime in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=Lite
jetBook-Lite has support for Barnes & Noble eReader format but has no support for DRMed ePub books.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
heffe2001
Zealot

So the B&N epub releases require the 14k firmware then (at least that's what tech support tells me). I'll let you know tomorrow night after I get the new firmware loaded if it works .
Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
coconur
coconur began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
Upgrading the firmware?

Hi!!

Good to see that there is a forum where I can talk to other users of the
JetBook Lite.

I have downloaded the new frimware (.14k) to my laptop. Can someone please explain what I need to do to upgrade the JetBook Lite? I see that there are a
few folders that were created like Data, firmware and reflash_nor.

Thanks in advance
coconur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconur View Post
Can someone please explain what I need to do to upgrade the JetBook Lite?
Thanks for asking! I was afraid I would look stupid if I asked the same thing!

And welcome to MobileRead, coconur!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
heffe2001
Zealot

You use the same procedure that you use to do the regular jetbook, from Ectaco's webpage:

Firmware Upgrade Instructions

1. Make a backup copy of books, audio files, and pictures that you store on your jetBook.
2. Fully charge the jetBook battery.
3. Download and unpack the firmware package and then transfer the Data, firmware, and reflash_nor folders to the root directory of an SD card. Make sure your SD card does not contain any files other than those found in the firmware package.
4. Place the SD card into your jetBook SD slot.
5. Press the Reset button. The device will turn off. Do not turn it on.
6. Press and hold the On/Off button and right arrow key simultaneously until the jetBook logo appears on the screen.
7. The update process will take about 10 – 15 minutes.
WARNING! Do not press any keys on your jetBook while updating is in progress!
8. When the update process is complete, press the Reset button. The device will turn off.
9. Press and hold the On/Off button for 3 seconds. Release the button. jetBook will start within 1 minute.
10. Firmware update process is completed at this point.

If after step 9 it doesn't come back on, hit reset on the back, and then power, it should start then.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
coconur
coconur began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook Lite
Upgrade worked, DRM still doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
You use the same procedure that you use to do the regular jetbook, from Ectaco's webpage:
Thanks so much for the info! :-) The upgrade worked great and I'm now running version k.

Unfortunately, I still can't see the DRM book I bought from Barnes & Noble. It still shows up as 2 blank pages. Has anyone else gotten the DRM to work on the jetBook Lite?

Thanks again...
coconur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks heffe! I guess I need to go study the Ectaco website.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
heffe2001
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconur View Post
Thanks so much for the info! :-) The upgrade worked great and I'm now running version k.

Unfortunately, I still can't see the DRM book I bought from Barnes & Noble. It still shows up as 2 blank pages. Has anyone else gotten the DRM to work on the jetBook Lite?

Thanks again...
I get the same with a B&N Epub file. Apparently they still don't support those correctly (at least with this version). As long as I can get the DRM'ed stuff working from some of the other sites, I'll be fine. Besides that, I have so much stuff to read as it is, it'll take me months before I REALLY need to load DRM'ed files, lol.