Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #61
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Is the search engine giving different results for different people? If I search for Roger Zelazny on amazon.com in Books, every result returned on the first page is by Roger Zelazny.

Graham
If I search under "Books" I get 44/60 Roger Zelazny authored titles.

If I search under "Kindle Store" I get 39/50 Roger Zelazny titles.

His books aren't listed in order of relevance that one might expect. For example, Amazon lists (for me) a number of unrelated titles, foreign languages, etc then a few more of his English titles on page 6 then back to unrelated stuff. Someone may miss what he his looking for if he stops too soon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #62
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
This thread has got seriously bizarre, so can I just say a big thank you to DiapDealer for bringing some much needed humour to it.....

Seriously, are any search engines perfect, because that seems to be the basis of the complaints about Amazon's here?!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciaMcMahon View Post
If you buy a DRM free book (it is the publisher not Apple that chooses to apply it, same as on Kobo and Amazon) then you can use the epub anywhere. You find the epub on your PC at /iTunes/iTunes Media/Books.

The GigaOm article omitted the important statement that the 1 million new users was boosted by each new sign up getting ten free books:

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2015...-users-a-week/

So the prize for the correct answer goes to FizzyWater. The prize is ten free ebooks if you buy yourself a new Mac or iPhone.
The prize for sticking with Amazon is getting those titles price-matched...

The only people magnetized by that offer are those who don't tend to buy a lot of ebooks anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #64
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Can I add my vote for pages and pages of books written by Roger Zelazny from that link?

I suspect the real problem is that Amazon returns search results partially based on your history.

Clearly, pwalker8 is far less picky that he lets on, and Amazon knows it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #65
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Can I add my vote for pages and pages of books written by Roger Zelazny from that link?

I suspect the real problem is that Amazon returns search results partially based on your history.

Clearly, pwalker8 is far less picky that he lets on, and Amazon knows it.
Given the sheer volume of ebooks that I've bought from Amazon, obviously I'm not terribly picky. Or rather I would say, that I don't go around cutting off my nose to spite my face. I use quite a few different techniques to get around my frustration with Amazon's search engine. What Amazon's search engine is good at is finding things when you know exactly what you want.

Places like authoralerts does a good job of notifying when books become available by specific authors, though it's not completely reliable either, so every so often, I'll miss some backlist books that I really want, only to run across them some months later (The Black Company books were like that).

Just as a note, I buy ebooks for my mother as well as for my niece and nephew (though on different accounts). My recommended by you books can be quite odd.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #66
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
iOS 8 comes with iBooks (unfortunately) and there is no way to delete it.
I've never bought a book from iBooks and don't plan to. I don't even want it on my devices but now I'm stick with it. It lives in a junk folder.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote