Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Help! How can I remove "x mins left in chapter" from kindle app.

The answer may be here or elsewhere on the net, but I can't find it. So, I'm asking -

I upgraded my Nexus 7 to V4.3 and the old kindle app wouldn't work anymore so I had to upgrade my kindle app as well.

Now when I read a kindle book on the Nexus, there is a little message at the bottom of the page. It starts with "Learning reading speed..." and then changes to "x mins left in chapter". This really annoys me - it is as if the gadget is monitoring my reading speed and then telling my how fast I should go. Is there any way to get rid of this message?

My apologies -

I kept searching and found the solution. Tap on the annoying "x mins left" message and it changes to the more sensible "Page x of xxx"

Last edited by RCR; 08-16-2013 at 02:47 AM.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "reading time" is one of the best features of the Kindle App, IMHO. It's not telling you how fast you should read; it's telling you how long it'll take you to finished the chapter or the book at the speed that you are reading. I find it extremely useful. Although it's only just appeared on the Kindle App it's been on eInk Kindles for a while now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
The answer may be here or elsewhere on the net, but I can't find it. So, I'm asking -

I upgraded my Nexus 7 to V4.3 and the old kindle app wouldn't work anymore so I had to upgrade my kindle app as well.

Now when I read a kindle book on the Nexus, there is a little message at the bottom of the page. It starts with "Learning reading speed..." and then changes to "x mins left in chapter". This really annoys me - it is as if the gadget is monitoring my reading speed and then telling my how fast I should go. Is there any way to get rid of this message?

My apologies -

I kept searching and found the solution. Tap on the annoying "x mins left" message and it changes to the more sensible "Page x of xxx"
I'm with you. Reading is not a competition necessitating a timer. For me a timer detracts from the enjoyment reading brings. Timers makes what is supposed to be a relaxation into a competion. So thanks for the heads-up on the solution.

I feel the same way about doing crossword puzzles, I want a distraction from the on-the-clock 24/7 world in which we live. I love golf , baseball, chess & fishing for their total lack of time limits.

Last edited by rkw; 08-26-2013 at 06:16 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
I'm with you. Reading is not a competition necessitating a timer. For me a timer detracts from the enjoyment reading brings. Timers makes what is supposed to be a relaxation into a competion. So thanks for the heads-up on the solution.
I find it extremely useful when reading in bed. It allows me to see whether it's worth carrying on to finish the book or the next chapter than night.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find it extremely useful when reading in bed. It allows me to see whether it's worth carrying on to finish the book or the next chapter than night.
I agree. I like knowing how much longer until I finish the chapter. At the beginning of a new chapter I like knowing approximately how long it will take me to read that "one more chapter" before going to bed or moving on to another activity. It's such a subtle message at the bottom of the page. It doesn't detract from the reading experience at all, in my opinion. I don't even notice it until I'm looking for it. I think it's a great feature.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Seriously? You felt the need to post about a feature you didn't like before you actually touched it (on a touchscreen device) to see if it was configurable/removeable?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
RevRob
RevRob began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
RCR,

THANK YOU for posting this, and the solution!

I could read with this in the update, but it was very distracting when I would notice it (every few page swipes). I like to read to escape, not get a constant reminder of my progress. I know DTBs do this naturally, but it is much less "in your face" . . .

I looked through all the settings twice to see if I could find a way to change or shut this off. Not once in 4 hours of reading did I think to actually tap the notice. (Seriously DiapDealer - I would have posted about this if RCR hadn't blazed the trail for me. Also, if you don't tap in exactly the right spot, it will bring up the regular progress/menu info, as if you tapped in the middle of the page.)

You can actually shut it OFF entirely with a second tap.

DEFAULT - "X mins left in chapter yy%"
one tap - "Loc xxxx yy%" (or page numbers, if you have them set)
two taps - shuts feature off entirely

One more tap restores it.

Again, my ADD brain thanks you.
RevRob is offline   Reply With Quote