Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
drett
drett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Kindle (azw3) paging problem

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and a relatively new e-book creator. I'm attempting to convert a book from epub (created by me) to azw3 for Kindle and though Calibre does this amazingly well, I've run into a problem paging through the azw3 file on the Kindle. Basically, when paging through the book, two things are happening: 1) If I select, say, chapter 2 from the TOC and page all the way through the chapter, I get kicked back to the beginning of chapter 2 (not chapter 3) once I reach the end. 2) Once that occurs, I then cannot page through the chapter at all. I can go to the second page of chapter two and then get kicked back to the beginning.

This problem does not occur in the epub (at least as tested on the iPad), and I can't seem to find reference to this issue anywhere. I've tried just about every possible Table of Contents-related setting in the Calibre conversion options, but nothing changes.

I've also looked into the toc.ncx file for the azw3 output file, as well as the way the chapters are encoded in the master epub file, and everything looks okay to me.

Has anyone else come across this before? Any thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!
drett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you are running the latest calibre release (0.8.63) which has a fix for paging related issues on amazon's AZW3 viewers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
drett
drett began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks! Performed the update and tried the conversion again. I think it was "Do not add detected chapters to the Table of Contents" that did it for me.
drett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
I just updated to 0.9.3 but am still having problems with the conversion AZW3 --> (old) MOBI for my Kindle, as far as TOC is concerned.

For some, but not all, books the TOC is generated, but even in the calibre viewer one can not navigate it by clicking on the chapter entries in the TOC.

I tested the AZW3 files in the viewer and those links do work (i.e. I can navigate the TOC). In the MOBI files most of them work, but I have examples in which they do not (none of the chapters). I even have one book in which the MOBI TOC works partially: the first 3 chapters and the last two are active, but nothing in between.

Thanxx, Mixx
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use the Kindlepreviewer to preview the converted files. Using Calibre's viewer which converts the Mobi file before viewing is is not a good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote