Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
tichkiir
tichkiir began at the beginning.

Device: T|T
Is there a reason to convert to LRF instead of RTF?

So I finally gave in and bought the reader (505) and now I'm trying to get all my HTML formatted content on it and going insane. libprs keeps hanging on me, but I'll deal with that later. The real problem is, using Book Designer or html2lrf, the output is RIGHT JUSTIFIED, and my content seems to have a lot of short sentences, so half the time I'm reading half a screen of text on the right! And I looked and it seems that's just a poor design decision from Sony, so...

Is there a good reason why converting to LRF is better than converting to RTF for docs that end up being 500k to 2M or so in RTF files? The RTF files certainly seem to look a lot better, but what functionality on the reader am I going to loose?

Thanks
tichkiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
With lrf you can make a table of contents and hypserlinked footnotes.Also you can include pictures.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Plus the fact that LRF files are generally considerably smaller than their RTF equivalents. LRF is a far better choice.

Reader docs are not right justified, by the way; they are fully justified. Right justification is where one has a "lined up" right margin, and a ragged left margin.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
On the contrary, I still use RTF since it is much faster to generate for me. With LRF I always need to go through the book in Book Designer and correct the titles, subtitles, etc. It takes some time, and, personally, I don't need chapter headers, TOC, I just need the text

Yes, RTF needs more space in Reader, but if you delete the books you finished reading from time to time, the file size is not an issue.

Generally I would decide regarding the quality of the source file formatting. If it is good, RTF is clear winner for me, when it needs more adjusting, there is Book Designer at your service.
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
tichkiir
tichkiir began at the beginning.

Device: T|T
Thanks for the info here. I've been dumping both formats on so far and flipping back and forth trying to decide. I'm not sure where I'll end up

It seems the 2 major advantages for LRF don't really apply to me - space isn't a concern with a 2G card, and I doubt I'd ever take the time to edit the content to make a table of contents or headers or anything.

Ah well, I'll figure it all out eventually, but this time I'm definitely keeping the sources around no matter what!
tichkiir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tichkiir View Post
Thanks for the info here. I've been dumping both formats on so far and flipping back and forth trying to decide. I'm not sure where I'll end up

It seems the 2 major advantages for LRF don't really apply to me - space isn't a concern with a 2G card, and I doubt I'd ever take the time to edit the content to make a table of contents or headers or anything.

Ah well, I'll figure it all out eventually, but this time I'm definitely keeping the sources around no matter what!
If you use html2lrf (for example) you get a sensible ToC without having to do any hand-editing at all (for publications from Baen, anyway). This isn't a big deal for most novels, but matters quite a bit for things like "Jim Baen's Universe" or "The Grantville Gazette" or some of their books that are short story collections. Likewise, chapter headers and such come through very nicely.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote