Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
BookCreator 3.0 Beta

Hi All,

I've been working hard developing and testing BC 3.0. The product is looking ready for beta release.

New features in BC 3.0 (beta):
* Integration with calibre 0.6.0
* One eBook Builder dialog box:
* Users can build multiple formats from one dialog box by checking the desired formats.
* More target formats supported (eReader(PDB), ePUB, IMP,LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDF )

Notes:
In order to create eBook, BookCreator requires calibre 0.6 and eBook Technologies (IMP) .

Known Issues:
* ePUB created from Calibre 0.6/BC 3.0 are not properly formatted, margins are too large.
* PDF is ignoring the "Page size" setting and is using the "output" format to determine the size. Make sure the correct "output" format is set in the Page Layout settings. (e.g. If you are building for sony make sure to select "Sony" as the output format

NOTE: For 2007 Users try djgreedo's Office2007 template. (Thank you djgreedo)

Sincerely,
=X=
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookCreator_v3.0-beta.zip (269.2 KB, 873 views)
File Type: zip BC v3.0 -for-Office2007_beta.zip (220.1 KB, 761 views)

Last edited by =X=; 10-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Looks very sleek and integrated! Like one-stop shopping...

BTW, for .imp creation, I couldn't get it to generate a GEB 1200 .imp (I'm partial to REB 1200 ). In it's place, it seems to always produce a EBW 1150 .imp. Same thing for .rb and .oeb! formats. I'm using MS Word 2003.

EDIT: Possible solution...
It looks like in ImpBuilder, you have the format hard-coded. I changed that and the IMP option selection code to be:
Code:
FrmCalibreAllFormat

Private Sub opt1150_Click()
    If opt1150.value = True Then
        gDeviceType = 2
        setImpDeviceType gDeviceType
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub opt1200_Click()
    If opt1200.value = True Then
        gDeviceType = 1
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub opt1100_Click()
     If opt1100.value = True Then
        gDeviceType = 3
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub optOEB_Click()
     If optOEB.value = True Then
        gDeviceType = 0
    End If
End Sub

ImpBuilder

oImpBuild.TargetDevice = iBuildTarget
    oImpBuild.BuildFromWordDoc szInput, szBookFileName
It now works for me with all .imp formats and even produces a nice ETI .epub when the .oeb option was selected!!!

Last edited by nrapallo; 06-30-2009 at 10:50 PM. Reason: suggested a fix
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

very cool nrapallo! I guess I don't have to mention which IMP I'm partial to .

Anyhow I'll include your solution shortly.

=X=
Old 07-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
very cool nrapallo! I guess I don't have to mention which IMP I'm partial to .
Ohh, Ohh, I know, I know... it was hard-coded EVERYWHERE!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

It now works for me with all .imp formats and even produces a nice ETI .epub when the .oeb option was selected!!!
That was my code you changed...I forgot I had most of the code in place LOL. After looking at the code I remember, I hard coded the number "2" because I didn't know what the values where for the other IMP formats, Thank you!

I did not realize eBookTechnologies made ePUB. Is it an updated version. Also is it in the API?

=X=
Old 07-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
That was my code you changed...I forgot I had most of the code in place LOL. After looking at the code I remember, I hard coded the number "2" because I didn't know what the values where for the other IMP formats, Thank you!
You're welcome! Those values were used in my Perl scripts that interface with the ETI SBPubX COM. I guess, "2"=EBW1150 was all you needed, but it's nice to be able to generate the other .imp formats as well.

Quote:
I did not realize eBookTechnologies made ePUB. Is it an updated version. Also is it in the API?

=X=
If you are using current ETI builds (v2.3 and up) of eBook Publisher, then .epub's can be used/created in place of .oeb files. However, the API (COM) interface is not yet up to snuff and it is vey difficult to manipulate them through the SBPubX calls that worked so well with .oeb files.

BTW, the ETI .epubs are not split to adhere to the ADE 300K limitation used for Sony .epubs, so you're best to stick to calibre for .epub creation.

Actually, in my GuteBook program, I also use calibre to prepare a "master" / "source" .epub without any splits or size chunk limitations. This is so that the .epub may be used as an archival copy of the source files.

Care to add another output format option to BC?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Care to add another output format option to BC?
Sure what format are you interested in?
=X=
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
nrapallo

Quote:
Sure what format are you interested in?
=X=
... just that "source" .epub that can be produced with calibre with a "dont-split-on-page-breaks" switch and using a large chunk size of say 40mb ...
Code:
ebook-convert  ...  --dont-split-on-page-breaks --flow-size=40000
Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Not working

Howdy,

The beta doesn't seem to work for me on Windows 7 / Word 2007.

When I click 'Create eBook I get an error:
Can't find project or library.

This line is highlighted yellow:
In Public Function bcFormatAuthorName(szAuthor As String) As String

and also the "Trim" command in this line is highlighted blue (i.e. selected):
aName = Split(Trim(szAuthor), " ")

I also get an error running the author name macro.

Otherwise thanks for the template, it's been very useful to me in turning crappy PDFs into perfect ebooks for my reader.

p.s. Do you have any plans to create a Word 2007 custom ribbon tab for this template? If you don't mind me tinkering with the template I could create a ribbon tab including all the BookCreator macros.

Last edited by djgreedo; 07-18-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added details
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Howdy,

The beta doesn't seem to work for me on Windows 7 / Word 2007.

When I click 'Create eBook I get an error:
Can't find project or library.
Word 2007 is problematic for some it works fine for others it does not work.

However the problem you are having seems to be related to not having ePubisher installed. There is a link on the first post
1) Install ePublisher from their site (download link) This tool is required for creating IMP.

I've yet to figure out how to dynamically load OCX project in a Word Template so folks have to still install this tool even if they have no intention of making IMP files.

Quote:
Do you have any plans to create a Word 2007 custom ribbon tab for this template? If you don't mind me tinkering with the template I could create a ribbon tab including all the BookCreator macros.
No only because I don't have Word 2007. Believe it or not I'm considered to be on the bleeding edge at work because I have 2003.

Quite contrary I would very much appreciate any contribution to the BookCreator tool. I've bought into the open source model years ago and believe the best tool are those where the users contribute.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ahh...I ignored the ePublisher thing because I only create LRFs! Silly me

I'll whip up a quick ribbon tab for the beta. I'm just not sure how Word 2003 treats it. The file has to be in the .dotm format to have custom ribbons, and Word 2003 would have to open it in compatibility mode. I don't have 2003 to test it on (I have 2007 at home and work).

I recommend Word 2007 if you can get it...there's a learning curve but it's actually much better than the old versions once you're used to it.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Ahh...I ignored the ePublisher thing because I only create LRFs! Silly me

I'll whip up a quick ribbon tab for the beta. I'm just not sure how Word 2003 treats it. The file has to be in the .dotm format to have custom ribbons, and Word 2003 would have to open it in compatibility mode. I don't have 2003 to test it on (I have 2007 at home and work).

I recommend Word 2007 if you can get it...there's a learning curve but it's actually much better than the old versions once you're used to it.
Well the nice thing about the different format is that it will work better with the 2007 users. I don't know if I can maintain the new format, I'll try it out once you upload provided it.

I think upgrading to 2007 is a good suggestion, however most of my co-workers are using OfficeXP. IT will only support OfficeXP, I asked for 2003 and with some reluctance they installed it for me.

=X=
Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
djgreedo
Addict

Quote:
Well the nice thing about the different format is that it will work better with the 2007 users. I don't know if I can maintain the new format, I'll try it out once you upload provided it.

I think upgrading to 2007 is a good suggestion, however most of my co-workers are using OfficeXP. IT will only support OfficeXP, I asked for 2003 and with some reluctance they installed it for me.

=X=
Yeah, the ePublished thing fixed my problem. The template works fine for me in Word 2007.

As far as I know, the 2007 template should work in 2003 in compatibility mode. I'm pretty sure you can still edit the macros inside (but you might not be able to save it in the Word 2007 format). You just won't see the tab. Worst case scenario is that there will have to be two template versions - one for 2007 and one for older versions, but they can both have the same macros inside.

I'll upload the template when I get home from work (it's not finished, but many of the icons are there and some of them work).
Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #14
djgreedo
Addict

Here is a link to a Word 2007 version of the BookCreator template. Not all of the buttons on the ribbon are set up yet, so clicking them will achieve nothing. I just need to map the buttons to the relevant macros, which I haven't had a chance to do yet.

So this is just a 'proof of concept' template to see how it acts with Word 2003.

I've tried to find the best icons for each macro from the built-in Office icons, but if someone wants to create some better icons they can be easily included in the template.

http://cid-b7a2d2defc887e52.skydrive...okCreator.dotm
Old 07-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Thanks djgreedo, I'll try this out tonight