Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #46
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Yeah, that's right. Apparently the Apple Terms of Service forbid eReader from doing something so simple as downloading the files directly from within itself, so instead it has to use a special kind of mobile URL in Mobile Safari so Safari knows to tell eReader to download the file.

So, in the name of keeping everything all nice and consistent on their device, Apple now requires that every single website offering eReader files for download add an extra link so that iPhones and iPod Touches can make the download.
Same is true for Stanza. The Stanza books need an "epub://" in order to be downloaded directly. A big bummer!
Old 05-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #47
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I've added the special links for downloading Eternity's End and Sunborn into the eReader app on the iThings (Touch and iPhone). Would someone with eReader on an iThing volunteer to test those for me, please?

If I understand correctly, you have to use Safari on the iThing, and when you click the links, it'll put the books automatically into eReader.

Oh--the links are at http://www.starrigger.net/Downloads.htm. I'll do the rest of the Chaos books once I know these two are working.
Works nicely on my Ipod. Thanks!

PS: You got me hooked there on Legroeder's adventure and I just realized what a huge book it is! Oh well, back to The Flying Dutchman we go!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 05-12-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #48
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I just finished Neptune Crossing, and liked it ! Tip is in the jar
The last chapters were especially exciting and I look forward to beginning Strange Attractors !
Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #49
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Works nicely on my Ipod. Thanks!
Somehow I missed your response here before. Thanks for testing it. And now you say I need to do it for Stanza and epub, too??? Jeez Louise, at this rate I'm going to have to create a separate download page for each book, just fit all the links on!

I actually had no idea that these apps were capable of snorking files right out of Safari like that. Okay, add to the "to do" list.

Quote:
PS: You got me hooked there on Legroeder's adventure and I just realized what a huge book it is! Oh well, back to The Flying Dutchman we go!
Excellent.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #50
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I just finished Neptune Crossing, and liked it ! Tip is in the jar
The last chapters were especially exciting and I look forward to beginning Strange Attractors !
Great! And thanks for the tip.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 AM   #51
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I have added a Stanza-iPhone link for Eternity's End as a test. When I tested it on my wife's iTouch, I got to it okay, but I couldn't tell whether Stanza actually downloaded the file or was just opening it online. I guess it downloaded it, though it never gave me a msg such as "download complete."

It was weird, because the inline ToC didn't work even though I thought I'd tested it thoroughly. (I'd tested it in Adobe Digital Editions, and on the Sony, but I guess I'd never tested it in Stanza.) So I tried it in Stanza on the PC--and it displayed horribly there--no cover, title page all mashed up, and inline ToC without links at all. (I guess the desktop Stanza isn't exactly ready for prime time.)

Well, I don't know what to think about that. I guess the link is worth having, although it makes the download page more cluttered and confusing. I wonder how many people actually browse to my downloads page on an iThing.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #52
mtravellerh
book creator

Well, the epub download works nicely (with working TOC)

Uh, one other thing: I bought those star rigger novels from fictionwise yesterday because I like Eternity's End so much, but I had to notice that Dragon Rigger is missing. Any place I could buy that as an e-book?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #53
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Well, the epub download works nicely (with working TOC)

Uh, one other thing: I bought those star rigger novels from fictionwise yesterday because I like Eternity's End so much, but I had to notice that Dragon Rigger is missing. Any place I could buy that as an e-book?
Dragon Rigger, and several other titles new to ebook, should be appearing at Fictionwise very soon. I was told early-mid May. I am mentally translating that to May-June, just on general principles. I actually signed up, as a fictionwise buyer, to be notified when new books by me appear, so I'll know.

Your epub download: I know the TOC works when you click the icon for TOC. But when you just scroll from the beginning, and come to the table in the book, do those links work for you?

Do you find that the epub or the eReader version works better for you on the iThing?

Oh--and thanks for buying those other books!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #54
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Your epub download: I know the TOC works when you click the icon for TOC. But when you just scroll from the beginning, and come to the table in the book, do those links work for you?

Do you find that the epub or the eReader version works better for you on the iThing?

Oh--and thanks for buying those other books!
Well, I subscribed to you, too. So we will see.

EPub links: You're right: The contents inside the book does not work (this is quite a common error happening sometimes when you use absolute links instead of relative ones) I use the outline TOC mostly, so I didn't notice.

I prefer the ereader version on my "iThing", but there is no big difference between the two versions. I prefer the ereader version only because the ereader software does a better font rendering in landscape view(so that has nothing to do with your title).

Well, it really is a pleasure reading your books. I love that kind of Hard SF (I have all the Alan Dean Foster Humanx and Flinx books f. ex.)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM   #55
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Call me crazy, or maybe it's just May Day madness. But I've just put another book up for free. It's Eternity's End, a novel of the Star Rigger universe, in ebook for the first time!

It was a finalist for the 2000 Nebula, and concerns the search by a star rigger named Legroeder for the lost ship Impris, the Flying Dutchman of the stars. It took me four years to write, and is one of the reason the Chaos Chronicles were neglected for so long.

Come give it a try, from my downloads page. Multi-format, DRM-free.

Paypal donations are warmly welcomed, if you're so inclined. But there's absolutely no obligation.

What have you got to lose?

BTW, molto thanks to "Chaos" Ann for undertaking the huge job of proofing and converting this behemoth into a variety of formats!
Thank you for offering some of your ebooks for free. It's a wonderful way for us to get a 'taste' of your writing. So much so my DH is hooked. He is big fan of yours now.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #56
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: iPaq 3800 series
Quote:

It was weird, because the inline ToC didn't work even though I thought I'd tested it thoroughly. (I'd tested it in Adobe Digital Editions, and on the Sony, but I guess I'd never tested it in Stanza.) So I tried it in Stanza on the PC--and it displayed horribly there--no cover, title page all mashed up, and inline ToC without links at all. (I guess the desktop Stanza isn't exactly ready for prime time.)
That is strange. Back to the drawing board again...

Note to self: see if Stranza has another PC program, or reinstall the old one.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:49 AM   #57
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
That is strange. Back to the drawing board again...

Note to self: see if Stranza has another PC program, or reinstall the old one.
Stanza required me to download the most recent version, so that was what I was testing it in. I think the Stanza desktop reader is buggy. The Stanza on the device itself was okay--except for the inline TOC links not working.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #58
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Stanza required me to download the most recent version, so that was what I was testing it in. I think the Stanza desktop reader is buggy. The Stanza on the device itself was okay--except for the inline TOC links not working.
Stanza on PC is an EXTREMELY unpleasant experience to put it mildly. I only use Calibre to feed my iPod.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #59
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
///Mokin' fokin' A!/// *Thanks, starrigger!* /You're crazy!/

I loved Neptune Crossing, loved Strange Attractors, loving Infinite Sea - can't wait to start Eternity's End!

Last edited by cbell; 05-16-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #60
ChaosInc
Enthusiast
ChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the endChaosInc knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: iPaq 3800 series
Quote:
I just downloaded the newest version myself. I'm going to work on those links and at least try to get them to work properly. It's not fair that others can use them, but stanza won't work.
Closed Thread